News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 149992 times)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #740 on: July 30, 2019, 03:26:31 am »
Thanks a million Trax. That certainly did work.

I've been dealing with a lot of things between, work, family, and the loss of my father, so I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. That was only of the mysteries I needed to solve, so I thank you Trax.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

Iceman100x

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 05, 2019, 03:01:08 pm »
Hey can you get rid of that annoying beeping sound it does when your health is low? I never understood why that was put in games like this instead of just having your life bar flash or something that makes more sense.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #742 on: August 10, 2019, 01:58:38 pm »
Iceman, if you go to 0x1D4E5, you can change the value of health that makes the beeping start. Default is 0x20, which is one square. If you set it to 0, you will never hear any beeping.

Iceman100x

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 12, 2019, 10:22:21 pm »
I didn't understand a single thing that you just said.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 15, 2019, 01:55:11 am »
I didn't understand a single thing that you just said.
I did. What didn't you understand? Heck you can even use that info to make a cheat code.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:15:40 pm by lexluthermiester »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 15, 2019, 10:21:30 am »
I did. What didn't you understand? Hack you can even use that info to make a cheat code.
Or you can even make it as another optional patch. :^}
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6gto2ntwuyry9k/RemoveLowHealthBeep.ips?dl=0

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 15, 2019, 11:01:17 am »

Well Iceman. Looks like ShadowOne saved you the trouble! LOL!
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2019, 05:44:21 pm »
That should be added to the RHDN DB. It's a small change, but worthy of it's own page IMO.

Iceman100x

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2019, 05:48:43 pm »
Well as long as it doesn't break the game,and the beeping ruined the music every time you were low on health.

ArchAngelleofJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 20, 2019, 08:21:53 pm »
I wanted to say I really enjoyed this patch. It's been a long time since I played 'Vanilla' Zelda 2 without cheating for heaps of extra lives and levels, but the rebalanced magic and permanent extra lives made the game feel like it was at a natural and fun difficulty. I didn't even need to gather that many extra lives, which felt great. I also really like the new sword and shield in Rev's sprites.

I do have a couple of very minor criticisms. To be honest, I can patch them myself, but I thought they would be worth bringing up - especially as so much work has gone into this already!

The first is that the icon for the defense stat is a shield with the Triforce symbol on it, but such a shield never appears in-game. It seems like it would make more sense for it to be a shield with a cross on it.

The second is that some of the dialogue seems very matter-of-fact. While the longer text-boxes allow for some much-improved lines, a handful seemed jarring to me. For example; the thirsty woman in Nabooru says "I see you have water. You should come to my house." Like, damn girl, did you even drink it? I feel like something like "Is that water for me?" or "You brought me some water?!" might get the same message across without feeling so stilted. Similarly, a boy in Darunia says "A powerful swordsman lives in this town." Alright, kid. It might feel a bit more childlike if it were "An amazing swordsman" or something. Also, some men in the first towns often say "I am a little busy to talk to a stranger," but it ought to be "I am a little too busy..." - removing the "too" from the original text means the sentence doesn't really make proper sense.

Like I said, tiny issues that are barely worth noting. If it's not worth your time to patch them out, that's fine - I've already made a personal version with a handful of altered sprites and dialogue that I can add these suggestions into anyway. Thank you so much for all the time and effort that has already gone into this project, I'm in absolute awe of your abilities to make these improvements to the game.

Dirtbag

• View Profile
« Reply #750 on: August 22, 2019, 04:33:11 pm »
Since finishing BotW last year I have slowly been playing all of  the Zelda games I missed first time around.  I started with Skyward Sword, then the Oracle games etc.  Now after finsihing the orginal I figured it was time play Zelda 2 for the first time.  I'd been reluctant up to now to play it due to it's reputation.  Given the aim of this hack is to remove the frustrations of the game I'm started to play the game for the first time using this patch.

So far so good i'm one temple down and on to the next one.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I've not used any optional patches yet  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 22, 2019, 04:40:51 pm »
The first is that the icon for the defense stat is a shield with the Triforce symbol on it, but such a shield never appears in-game. It seems like it would make more sense for it to be a shield with a cross on it.

I did try doing that, but somehow the plain shield with either a white or red cross with the blue background colour didn't seem quite right. That's why I left it as-is. If you do have some mockups, please drop them by so I can give myself an idea on how to improve it.

The second is that some of the dialogue seems very matter-of-fact. While the longer text-boxes allow for some much-improved lines, a handful seemed jarring to me. For example; the thirsty woman in Nabooru says "I see you have water. You should come to my house." Like, damn girl, did you even drink it? I feel like something like "Is that water for me?" or "You brought me some water?!" might get the same message across without feeling so stilted. Similarly, a boy in Darunia says "A powerful swordsman lives in this town." Alright, kid. It might feel a bit more childlike if it were "An amazing swordsman" or something. Also, some men in the first towns often say "I am a little busy to talk to a stranger," but it ought to be "I am a little too busy..." - removing the "too" from the original text means the sentence doesn't really make proper sense.

Interesting points.
Most of the text was done taking a fully translated script from the Japanese release, to keep it more in-line with it as a full uncensored version of the game.
Although, I do agree some of those do sound odd. But then again, what's an NES/FDS game without some engrish and jarring text? :D

Since finishing BotW last year I have slowly been playing all of  the Zelda games I missed first time around.  I started with Skyward Sword, then the Oracle games etc.  Now after finsihing the orginal I figured it was time play Zelda 2 for the first time.  I'd been reluctant up to now to play it due to it's reputation.  Given the aim of this hack is to remove the frustrations of the game I'm started to play the game for the first time using this patch.

So far so good i'm one temple down and on to the next one.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I've not used any optional patches yet  :)

Glad to know you went for this hack for your first Zelda 2 experience :P
While it's still not 100% finished, it is in a very much complete state to where you can do a full playthrough of it without any bug or glitch issues.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the hack! :D

ArchAngelleofJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 23, 2019, 12:16:15 am »
Thanks ShadowOne.

Yeah, I tried a few mockups on the

The first one is my favorite.

I didn't realize the other sprites used in the HUD were only seven pixels high. You could probably actually make a really nice looking one like this:

But by default it would be touching the second L in 'Level', making the shield kind of bleed into the L. (The hearts, magic boxes, and the sword are actually 8x8 pixels but the letters, shield and magic jar are all only 7x7 pixels. Kind of annoying.)

The first concept I made was actually red instead of blue, which looks nice on it's own but with the rest of the mostly-blue-and-white HUD looks kind of out of place. I *kind of* like the idea that health is represented by red, for both your hearts and the health/defense stat, but I think it draws the eyes too much.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 23, 2019, 10:49:54 am »
I think these two are without a doubt the best mockups.
I am slightly leaning towards the second one (8 pixels one), but I'm not 100% sure.

If we do end up going for that one, then I might change the other two (sword and magic jar) to also be 8 pixels, just to standardize the whole thing. What do you guys think?

Dr. Dreadhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 23, 2019, 12:19:05 pm »
The first one reads better and already has the same height of the text, aligns perfectly and it doesn't touch the text below. The sword is a tad taller, but that's OK because it weighs less and it doesn't touch anything below.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #755 on: August 23, 2019, 06:16:12 pm »
The second one looks great. Are you able to draw the red from the hearts color palette? Then you could make the shield white with a red cross which might diversify the color palette of the ui

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 23, 2019, 06:20:30 pm »
For the HUD specifically we have 3 colours to use:
White, blue and red.

Basically, the ones seen in the Sword.
We can use those 3 in whatever letter and icon there.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:13:22 pm by ShadowOne333 »

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 25, 2019, 09:25:32 am »
I love the hud mock up. one thing I really think might look better is if it was without the M for magic it would look cleaner and feel more in-line with the hearts above.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 25, 2019, 04:38:27 pm »
I agree with magic without the M. I think I'd prefer "EXP" to be on top of the number.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 26, 2019, 11:51:51 am »
The mockups for the shield do look great, I might change it later on.
For now, I'm thinking if I should change the colour of the shield in the HUD to red, to better match the official artwork (and have a little more variety on the HUD), or if it should be kept as blue.

I agree with magic without the M. I think I'd prefer "EXP" to be on top of the number.

That can't be done.
The position of the numbers for the Experience points are tied to the position of the hearts, so if I move the experience numbers, I'd have to move the hearts alongside them. That's why I decided to move all of the numbers up, to be in-line with the hearts, and all of the letters down.