News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 17158 times)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 04:28:00 pm »
Is fixing the sword swing cancel something you're not interested in or that you can't do?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 04:29:47 pm »
Is fixing the sword swing cancel something you're not interested in or that you can't do?
I'm all up for fixing it (if it indeed is a bug), but I haven't done any research on it nor do I know what it consists of and what its repercussions are. It for sure will require some ASM so I would most likely take a look at it later rather than sooner.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 05:16:57 pm »
Alright, thanks. It happens if you jump right after hitting attack, or attack right before landing from a jump. The expected behavior is that link completes the swing while jumping or landing.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »
A whole tile? I think a couple of pixels is enough.

Well...yeah maybe a whole tile is a lot. But a couple of pixels I think would still be too short to really be a sword. A proper sword should be the length of Link's torso, you'd think. So...I mean, I'm gonna ballpark guess that 4 pixels longer would be enough? Plus, games do things in multiples of 4 a lot, so that should be easy, or so I would guestimate without any real knowledge of the thing.

Like the idea of extending his sword, though sword enemies should get the same benefit.

Indeed, I'd say so. Longer Darknut swords in equal measure. Sauce for the goose.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
Dropping by to say that I won't be able to work on this project for like a week or two due to vacations.
But still, feel free to post suggestions and things which might make Zelda II a better experience overall.

I'd be taking notes for when I get back to it by the end of March/start of April, so don't hesitate to post your suggestions ;)

Last thing I did was ramp up a bit the enemy drops (from 1/6 to 1/5), so that's the less thing from the TODO list remaining.

Next up might be checking what the heck is going on with the Bosses' life bar.
I am sure it has to do with the new HUD, so I will take a look at those sprites while fighting the first boss in the First Palace.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 09:28:59 pm »

8.Alright, I just thought it would be cooler for the King of Hyrule to have his FDS tomb than the one they made in the NES port, but you don't have to restore it if you don't want to, it's no big deal.

There's no reason to visit his tomb, the one thing to fix in his NES tomb is change the text "THIS IS KINGS TOMB" to "THIS IS THE KING'S TOMB".

It's been a while since I've played through Zelda II so I might be missing some context, but would "TOMB OF KINGS" work?  I figured since now we know the official timeline and Zelda II is pretty late, so it would be reasonable to have a tomb of many past kings.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 03:14:56 pm »
Back, boys :)
And I bring to you the latest beta:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nvida92kyh5svj/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

This one should have more common enemy drops (but not that common, from 1/6 to 1/5) and it should also fix the issue with the Boss' health bar.

For the later, I had to do some compromises, I had to reduce the height of the Hearts in the Life meter by one pixel.
So right now it should be like 6 pixels tall, and I feel like it still looks really good in the HUD.

Let me know what do you guys think!

Shadic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:12 pm »
That looks great! Glad to see you back, chugging away.  :)

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:43 pm »
Hi ShadowOne333, I did a Lets Play awhile back on your Redux version of LTTP. It might be worth collaborating with Revility as his Rev version of Zelda 2 is a solid base to work from. Aside from that I love a lot of the changes you have scheduled for this. I'll def be checking back :3

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:26 am »
Welcome back ShadowOne. I'll check out your changes tonight, so I can update my hack with the changes to the health bar, etc.

BTW, did you get a chance to see Trax's disassembly from the ASM hacking & improvements thread?
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2018, 10:14:22 am »
Hi ShadowOne333, I did a Lets Play awhile back on your Redux version of LTTP. It might be worth collaborating with Revility as his Rev version of Zelda 2 is a solid base to work from. Aside from that I love a lot of the changes you have scheduled for this. I'll def be checking back :3

Thank you!
Glad you enjoyed ALttP Redux :)
I will check Revility's hack and see what I can gather from it to accommodate for this one.

Welcome back ShadowOne. I'll check out your changes tonight, so I can update my hack with the changes to the health bar, etc.

BTW, did you get a chance to see Trax's disassembly from the ASM hacking & improvements thread?

Sure thing!
As for Trax's disassembly, yeah that is what I am using to verify certain aspects of the game.
However, from his last post I couldn't see anything related to the water tile animations from the Famicom release, or did I miss something?

Oh also, I wanted to ask you @ultimaweapon, how did you remove/fix the glitchy flicking tile in the Title Screen?
You know, the one between the water and the black sky.
I did a quick look at it but couldn't find anything in terms of sprite editing, so I am assuming it might be related to tilemap editing instead.
Do you happen to know how to do that?

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2018, 11:12:06 am »
Sure thing!
As for Trax's disassembly, yeah that is what I am using to verify certain aspects of the game.
However, from his last post I couldn't see anything related to the water tile animations from the Famicom release, or did I miss something?

Oh also, I wanted to ask you @ultimaweapon, how did you remove/fix the glitchy flicking tile in the Title Screen?
You know, the one between the water and the black sky.
I did a quick look at it but couldn't find anything in terms of sprite editing, so I am assuming it might be related to tilemap editing instead.
Do you happen to know how to do that?

As far as the title, I used Revility's hack for the title screen and I just did some minor modifications to it with a tile editor. You'll have to ask him.

I didn't see any info there about the tile animation, but there are things there about pallet color changes, but I can't make heads or tails with it yet. Still reading to understand it all. I plan to change Link's tunic for my current hack. Once I figure out how to change the pallet colors for the overworld and palaces, I have a great idea for a new Zelda hack that will make use of Trax's "Ice Tiles".

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 12:15:24 pm »
As far as the title, I used Revility's hack for the title screen and I just did some minor modifications to it with a tile editor. You'll have to ask him.

I didn't see any info there about the tile animation, but there are things there about pallet color changes, but I can't make heads or tails with it yet. Still reading to understand it all. I plan to change Link's tunic for my current hack. Once I figure out how to change the pallet colors for the overworld and palaces, I have a great idea for a new Zelda hack that will make use of Trax's "Ice Tiles".

Oh I see.
I might have to check out Revility's hack to try to sort that little bug out.

I think I might do a repaletting of Link, as I feel like his colours look washed out and not as vibrant as they should be.

How's this for a change?

Or this one

This are the original colors of Link just for reference:

As for the tile animation for the water in the outworld, I'll try to check it out after I am done with this and some enemy editing.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 02:41:50 pm »
I like both of those.

I would like to make Link's Tunic either blue or gold.

As far as the moving water, do you think you can find the solution looking at the FDS version and maybe transferring that info over?

Also, IcePenguin emailed me a day ago, so he might be back. If so, he may also be able to answer that question as well as the tell you about that DASH spell.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2018, 07:38:43 pm »
A shade brighter on the brown would be better since it now blends with the background.

I think something like this would be optimal but I guess it's not doable without multiple sprites like in the mega man games or batman: rotj.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:55:02 pm by PresidentLeever »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 09:00:51 pm »
A shade brighter on the brown would be better since it now blends with the background.

I think something like this would be optimal but I guess it's not doable without multiple sprites like in the mega man games or batman: rotj.

That's a pretty darn good mockup!
Unfortunately, you are correct.
We are currently limited to 3 main colors for Link, which are brown, green and beige.
4th colour is used for transparency, sadly.
The only way to achieve your mockup would be to do a mask sprite ala Megama indeed.

Also for the brown being TOO dark...
That's the only other shade of brown below the one used by default.
You can check here, this is the whole colour palette the NES uses:

Link uses colours 18 for brown, 2A for green and 36 for beige in vanilla Zelda II.
I changed them to 08 brown, 1A or 19 green and 37 beige.
I'm tempted to use color 07 instead of the brown, but not sure how well received that'd be.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 10:11:31 pm »
Right, yeah what I used was actually 17 there although the palette I had is slightly different.

Another palette I have is supposedly a palette based on real hardware colors ("kizul's definitive nes palette") if you want to take that into account. Here the yellows column is more "pure" yellow (almost greenish actually) and the reddish orange more orange/brown in tone.

Edit: town? I meant tone, lol. I need to get some sleep I think.

It does seem more accurate if you check this example (3:52) though it's not quite perfect perhaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDBfNTf4ORY&t=3m52s
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:25:51 pm by PresidentLeever »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:08 am »
The color chart is easy enough to read. Now, if I could only figure out Link's location in the hex editor to change his color, I can try some colors myself. LOL

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 10:20:30 am »
Right, yeah what I used was actually 17 there although the palette I had is slightly different.

Another palette I have is supposedly a palette based on real hardware colors ("kizul's definitive nes palette") if you want to take that into account. Here the yellows column is more "pure" yellow (almost greenish actually) and the reddish orange more orange/brown in tone.

Edit: town? I meant tone, lol. I need to get some sleep I think.

It does seem more accurate if you check this example (3:52) though it's not quite perfect perhaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDBfNTf4ORY&t=3m52s

17 still looks way too bright imo.
One way to check it out would be to load any game, and then compare the 17 with the red carpet on Zelda's Chamber.
It's almost the same colour.
07 doesn't look that bad if you look at it compared with both the black background and any coloured background, I might go for 07 instead, 37 for skin and I think 2A for the green.

With 17 for the outline:

07 for the outline:

The color chart is easy enough to read. Now, if I could only figure out Link's location in the hex editor to change his color, I can try some colors myself. LOL

I think Link's palette is at 0x01C460.
You should find [0F 18 36 2A] around there. If it's not in 0x01C460 it should be the one at 0x01C47B.
Try changing the one at 1C460 first and see if that does it.
Note: This should only change Link's palette in side view, Overworld palettes are stored somewhere else, as do the File selection palettes with Link's little avatar there as well.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »
You spend much less time in zelda's chamber than in dungeons but this shows why they picked 18 I think, it doesn't blend in with either (although it does blend with certain town buildings). Anyway 07 looks alright when zoomed in to full screen size so if others like it then go for it.

As an aside I also did a quick mockup with three colors and more pronounced highlights on the dark parts yesterday but I wasn't quite happy with it as all parts seem to be of the same material.
https://i.imgur.com/7vheI3p.png