News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 141727 times)

FCandChill

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2018, 06:52:19 pm »
I just wanted to say that I really like what you're doing with the hack. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2018, 08:16:50 pm »
I love how this hack keeps evolving in strange and unusual ways. Nice work on the animated tiles, they look great <3

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2018, 10:57:36 pm »
Thank you all for the positive comments :)
And thanks to all of those that have helped along the way!

ShadowOne, Is this the one you're talking about?

If it's not the patch you're looking for, you can send me the current patch you've got and I'll put in the Loto dialog starter for you.

I'm not in town at the moment, so I can't try out the link you posted @njosro, but from what I can remembee, I think i tried that one past thursday and I couldnt get the Loto reference to pop up.

Can anyone try that one and let me know if you can, please?

If someone does have the latest Redux patch with the Dragon quest reference at hand, please post it here just in case.

I won't be able to test anything until Monday, but any patch/help posted would be amazing.
Thanks again, everyone!

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:55 am »
This is one of the most beautiful hack I've seen so far on a Zelda game . I can't wait to see the result of the final patch . Thank you so much to everyone working hard on this project !  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2018, 11:59:33 am »
Mmmm okay I had to re-implement the Dragon Quest reference for the version I had, since I couldn't find the patch that already had it. Btw, to restore the reference, it takes nothing more but a 2 byte change in the ROM, just so you guys know :P.
To manually restore the Dragon Quest reference, all you have to do is go to offset 0x00C8E9 and put [7B 8C] in there. (At least for Redux, I'm unsure if this works for vanilla Zelda 2 as well).

Here's the latest beta:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dbq6pl321fj2dh/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

What's included in this beta?
  • Overworld tile animation. Right now, water, grass and the River Devil are animated. I might animate the town tiles too, but I'm still seeing what might work best.
  • Dragon Quest reference name changed from Loto to Erdrick. I also had to repoint the text to make room for the bigger name.
  • Icons for levels on Save Selection screen and HUD changed. I changed the Sword icon to a more decent one, and also changed the Heart (which corresponds to the Life level up) to something like a Shield, since that levels up your defense.
I am thinking of maybe redoing the Sword to be more similar to the one in the boxart (like Rev's hack does).
And maybe changing up the HUD to something akin to Shadow of Night, but let's see if I end up doing that or not.

Please, let me know if you find anything odd or out of place with this beta, as I'm unsure if the Dragon Quest reference was the only thing missing from the build I had.

---------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
Also, how's this for a little spicy change to the overworld enemies?
https://imgur.com/a/xUCMcNp

I tried to grab the best of both the japanese and english releases, and came up with this.
This way they don't look as bland blobs like in the Japanese release nor as bland in color as the English one, so now each one has their palette colour and unique sprite, merging the best of both releases imo.
Let me know what you guys think, I am really opening up to the possibility of touching up slight parts of the graphics.

Btw, I think I can also add more animation to the enemy/fairy sprites on the overworld as well.
But I think that'd be overkill lol
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:26:55 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2018, 05:23:48 pm »
Wow that looks great. I'll give it a go this afternoon. And grabbed it just in case you lose the latest beta again :p

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:09 pm »
Unfortunately it is not compatible with Rev Edition, as the author has modified several graphics in the overworld, they appear simultaneously with the originals ruining everything. (I just wanted the moving waters and lava to be the ultimate version.) :'(

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2018, 10:26:39 am »
Unfortunately it is not compatible with Rev Edition, as the author has modified several graphics in the overworld, they appear simultaneously with the originals ruining everything. (I just wanted the moving waters and lava to be the ultimate version.) :'(
That can be somewhat easily fixed.
What hack are you applying first, Redux or Rev?
I need to know in what order you are applying them, so that I can give you the proper instructions on how to fix them.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2018, 11:30:26 am »
1) Rev Edition v1.6
2) Redux
3) New Link Sprites
3) Restart from Palace at Game Over

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2018, 11:47:32 am »
1) Rev Edition v1.6
2) Redux
3) New Link Sprites

I think this patch should pretty much give the desired result:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b7d68m92bry3dz/Redux%2BRev%2BNewLink.ips?dl=0

Should be what I have of Redux so far, alongside Rev Edition v1.6 and the New Link sprites.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2018, 12:01:20 pm »
The New Link Sprites patch is only for the new title screen (which I think is the most beautiful of all), because the Link design that will prevail is that from the Rev Edition. In fact most of them (overworld, monsters, items, npcs, menus, cities, palaces, etc) will come from the Rev Edition.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2018, 09:09:57 am »
1) Rev Edition v1.6
2) Redux
3) New Link Sprites

Would it be possible to get Rev Edition updated character sprites instead but keep the New Sprites title screen by applying them in a different order do you think?

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:23 pm »
Would it be possible to get Rev Edition updated character sprites instead but keep the New Sprites title screen by applying them in a different order do you think?

The New Link Sprites patch is only for the new title screen (which I think is the most beautiful of all), because the Link design that will prevail is that from the Rev Edition. In fact most of them (overworld, monsters, items, npcs, menus, cities, palaces, etc) will come from the Rev Edition.

But that's exactly what this patches order does, if you want the New Sprites title screen, this should always be applied last, otherwise it will always be that coming from the Rev Edition.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2018, 07:25:23 pm »
Awesome! Now all that is left is to wait to see if ShadowOne333 adds anything else and releases a final patch and BAM! ultimate version of Zelda 2 before Trax takes it next level XD

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2018, 12:12:46 am »
@Trax - Is there a way to change the order in which you get magic? For example, is there a way to put reflect magic in Western Hyrule in the 1st town Rauru and get the Shield magic in Eastern Hyrule? I've been trying to find a way to change the order you receive magic, but I have been unsuccessful.

@ShadowOne - Great work with the hack. Now if someone can figure out how to change Jump magic to do a double jump instead of just jumping higher, that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:18:55 am by ultimaweapon »
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2018, 01:48:09 am »
Isshh... Spell learning seems to be linked to Town Code, RAM $056B. Switching Town Codes within the same region is easy, but between regions, I'm not sure. It could break other game mechanics.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 10, 2018, 10:51:25 am »
Isshh... Spell learning seems to be linked to Town Code, RAM $056B. Switching Town Codes within the same region is easy, but between regions, I'm not sure. It could break other game mechanics.

Is there a way to change the Magic level requirements to learn a spell? For example, Fire and Reflect require your magic level to be at 4 in order to learn the spells. Can it be changes to 1 or 2 to learn them much quicker?

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2018, 10:42:21 pm »
Well, the code says that you need as many Heart Containers as the rank of the spell, which corresponds to the Town Code, plus one. Town Code for Rauru is 00, so you need 1 Magic Container to get the Shield spell. So on, up to Thunder, which requires 8 Magic Containers. Town Code for Kasuto is 07.

EDIT: Magic Containers, not Heart Containers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:11:59 pm by Trax »

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 11, 2018, 11:29:35 am »
do you mean magic container trax ?

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 11, 2018, 12:47:34 pm »
Is there anyway of changing that formula so I can do something like make you get the Reflect spell 1st instead of Shield Magic?