News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 157088 times)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2018, 11:35:02 pm »
That's one of the features with ShadowOne's hack. You can use Up and A on controller 1 to save. No need to switch to controller 2. He also has Njosro's continue from the palace feature too.

@Trax - Dark Fortress would be a pretty cool name. I also seem you've managed to find a way expand the game safely to 16 PRG banks & 16 CHR banks. In time, I must know your secret. LOL

Trust in the Heart of the Cards

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2018, 01:49:33 am »
Ah I see where the confusion is coming from now.

Okay, let me explain:

Zelda I and Zelda II have some sort of "debugging" feature implemented into them.
Said feature is that when you connect a 2nd controller into the console, if you press Start and the hit Up+A on the 2nd controller, then the game will prompt up the save screen.
Take into consideration that this is something already implemented into both z Zelda games on the NES.

What I did for Redux, is change this feature to make it play in favour of the player by:
  • Make it so you can save manually at any point by pressing Start and the hitting Up+A on the 1st controller. You no longer require a second control to activate this
  • The Death counter in the Selection screen does NOT go up when saving through this method. It will only go up on proper deaths.

This feature alongside njosro's Restart at Current Palace can make it so you can save and begin at the palace after said manual save was done, just remember that if you do so on the Overworld, you will be put back at Zelda's Palace (I think). Loading a save from a reset however still works as usual.

Changing how the saving works would require some heavy rewrite of the code as it is, and imo it's not worth such hassle. Although I do agree that not being able to cancel it and possibly hitting the combo by mistake is odd.

One thing I did try,was to make so that pressing Start and then hit Select would save the game, but for some reason said combo didn't work for me on my tests :/
I could go back to that and see if I was being clumsy or if it was the game.

@Trax sorry :p
I do know the names of the jelly creatures (Bots), but I assumed most people would understand better if I referred to them like that haha.
And thanks for explaining that!
So it's a problem due to enemy item drops and projectiles? That's a really weird side effect for sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: ShadowOne333
One thing I did try,was to make so that pressing Start and then hit Select would save the game, but for some reason said combo didn't work for me on my tests :/
I could go back to that and see if I was being clumsy or if it was the game.

Turns out it was me being clumsy.
I managed to put whatever button combo I want to save the game.

So now the question is, what button(s) should one press to save the game?
Take into consideration that you first need to have the game Paused (Press Start) and then do the button combo in order to save.

Right now as it is, I have to so that you pause and then hit Up+A to save.
I managed to change it so that you pause the game, and then press Select to bring the save screen up.

Is Pause -> Select okay for saving? Or do you guys have any other suggestions for ease of access?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:10:47 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:23 pm »
As I noted in my edit to my last comment, once I realized that there is no going back from that menu without restarting from the beginning of the game or dungeon entrance I essentially pulled back my recommendation for a simpler input. Start plus select is particularly dangerous because people can be in a rush to fire off a spell with select and hit it by mistake.

If the menu could be made cancel-able somehow...  :thumbsup:

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2018, 10:53:34 pm »
I feel like Start and then Select would be ideal. Isn't that how you saved in Link to the Past? I can't remember but it's more obvious the Up+A IMO

Also I mentioned this hack to both Revility and Falchion22. Been meaning to for awhile since I mentioned their hacks earlier in thread. Maybe they can help out with other features you're trying to configure and tweaks you're trying to make. Especially sprite work since both hacks seem to deal with it a bit. Perhaps you could end up having the FDS version of King's Tomb after all. It's not necessary to go to King's Tomb to progress so changing it would just be nicer for aesthetics and maybe adding to story. Revility has added and changed sprites in the past so maybe he could help. Maybe add a remorseful Prince into the FDS version of King's Tomb to add to the story instead of some random old lady being all "This.. is.. King's Tomb.." XD Heck, you could probably actually add an Impa sprite to Hyrule Castle to speak a few lines of dialog to free up some space to further explain the back story in the intro. And who knows, maybe either Revility or Falchion22 might know how to help you in re-adding that Dragon Quest reference. Revility also made a lot of positive changes to towns, house backgrounds and stuff like that too which might be worth incorporating or considering adding to this hack. His sprite edits were pretty damn great and had my favorite Link sprite of all.

I just re-played LTTP Redux with MSU again the other day too and it made me all warm and fuzzy thinking of another Redux Zelda game :3
I took the opportunity to re-record episodes 2 and 3 of the youtube series I did on it that Nintendo took down. They're cool with the re-uploads  :thumbsup:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2018, 10:40:54 am »
I'll keep it as Up+A for the time being.
I could change it to something else later one, it's a simply byte change in two addresses to make the change, and I already have everything in notes ready, as well as what values correspond to each button input, to just open in a Hex editor and change it at will.
I don't think I can manage to do a whole new menu and stuff just to make the save stuff cancel-able, so sadly I don't think I can include that.
Besides, being able to save all in itself already at any point is already a great improvement, more so given that it doesn't count as a death anymore. Sure going back to the entrance of wherever you are is bad, but at least you won't go all the way to the beginning anymore, nor have to die to save as well.

Also, @Shade Aurion, that's awesome!
The more people that can help, the better!
More so with the stuff I really need help for, which are the water animated tiles in the OW, the Dragon Quest reference and perhaps adding a PAUSE message in the OW when you pause the game. Having it simply go still feels really awkward.

Interesting bit of trivia, the text for the Dragon Quest reference is still in the game.
Well, not the text itself, but a dummy version of it, the pointer for it is still there, and there is dummy text where the Dragon Quest reference should have been.
I actually already repointed and added the text for the reference back, I just need a hotspot in the game so that said text gets activated in the exact place I need it.
If I can manage to get help to restore this reference and the animated water tiles, that'd be ideal. I could live without the Pause message.

Also, I think Revility's hack should be compatible with mine, as far as new sprites go.
I am not sure what other changes Revility did to his hack, but I think you can simply copy the GFX section of the ROM from Revility's and paste it into mine to have Revility's graphics into Redux.

I am slowly going over the enemies in the OP, I think Moblin and another one are already done, once I am done with those, I might need some help to figure out if I should rename the Spell spell, and to what should I rename it to, because apparently even the Japanese version called it Spell too.
Reveal was my first thought, but it also has a secondary effect in battles, so that won't work.

Once the remaining enemies and the Spell stuff is done, then I will really need to figure out the animation and Dragon Quest reference stuff, which is where help will really be needed, since that kind of stuff is completely out of my league at the moment, I haven't done anything like that before in any hack.

So yeah, we are almost at the finishing line I feel.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:47:22 am by ShadowOne333 »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2018, 09:08:55 am »
Also, I think Revility's hack should be compatible with mine, as far as new sprites go.
I am not sure what other changes Revility did to his hack, but I think you can simply copy the GFX section of the ROM from Revility's and paste it into mine to have Revility's graphics into Redux.

Rev Edition Ver.1.6 (Revility) + Zelda II Redux (You) + New Link Sprites (Falchion22) =

(I edited the Link's colors because I prefer the original.)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:19:30 am by darthvaderx »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2018, 10:38:29 am »
Rev Edition Ver.1.6 (Revility) + Zelda II Redux (You) + New Link Sprites (Falchion22) =

While I have a few minutes, let me respond. If you check out my hack, I combined ShadowOne's hack and Revility's hack into the hack I created, so feel free to check it out. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3931/

I think Revility's work was really good. It would be good to see someone build upon what he has done. Falchion22 work was good as well.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2018, 01:26:25 pm »

That's awesome :)
Will you be willing to provide a base patch, so that other people can include Revility's and Falchion's graphical patches over Redux once it's out?
I feel like this could be really well accepted by most people, and it could be implemented as an optional patch inside Redux. Giving proper credits of course to both Revility and Falchion, and you as the creator of the optional patch as well. :)

Aside from that, I found something quite interesting when rebalancing the remaining enemies.
Regarding the Orange and Red Lizalfos, it seems like the problem with the Orange Lizalfo giving out more EXP than the Red one was a bug in the original game.

For some reason, the Lizalfos seem to be one of the few instances where the Red variant is stored before the Orange one, and the programmers did put the HP correctly for the three variants (89, 4A and CB), but they didn't take into consideration that the Red Lizalfos was stored first before the Orange one, so that's why the orange one gave 150 and the Red one 100, because they were switched in the attribute table compared to the rest of the enemies.
I left them as 8A, 49 and CB in the game's code, so they should be good now ;)

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2018, 04:23:08 pm »
Great work with the Lizalfos. It was a bug after all. You've answered a question that has been gnawing at me for 30 years.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2018, 06:26:03 pm »
Great work with the Lizalfos. It was a bug after all. You've answered a question that has been gnawing at me for 30 years.
Dont you mean something that's been "bugging" you for 30 years? ;)

And here's something I've been working on just for shits and giggles:

Hopefully someone can try to piece out together what I'm attempting here.
It's a real fucking mess xD

Right now I'm stuck at trying to move the red square which gets moved to the left when you get attacked (Life meter).
However, I found out that it can only move in that very same row of tiles, and not on the one above, which is where I need it to.

This is the related piece of code that seems to move those ones around:
Code: [Select]
.byt    $20,$68                        ; 0x169b $968B 20 68The [20] is for the Magic meter tile, which I moved to [08] so it works properly with the Magic meter that I moved.
However, moving the [68] to something else simply makes it move to the left or right, but not above.
I am trying to figure out how to move that one and the [L] tile above.
If I need space for new arrangements, I might move that table to 0x2A50, but I want to see what I can do with the limited space.

After that, I have to tackle the 0000 for the Experience, and then the Level numbers [1, 1, 1] to be written above, to the right of the Life meter.
I hope I can pull this off, no guarantees though as this is all really experimental.
I will also see if I can reverse-hack the water animation from Shadow of Night (which is what gave me the inspiration for this).

Baby steps, I just hope I don't fall down the stairs, break my legs and fuck it all up.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:41:42 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:15 pm »
The only tile you can't move is the blue "L" tile before the life meter. This tile is used to sync the Sprite Zero and is essential to the game's timing and the HUD's drawing process.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2018, 09:53:08 am »
The only tile you can't move is the blue "L" tile before the life meter. This tile is used to sync the Sprite Zero and is essential to the game's timing and the HUD's drawing process.
No wonder I couldn't move that one then :p

Given that problem, would there ba way to maybe flip the Magic and Life meters then?
So that the L and that stuff remains there, but the life stuff gets printed out in the Magic meter one, and the Magic meter stuff into the Life one.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2018, 10:54:47 pm »
Personally I much prefer Revility's Link sprites for both the sword shield edits and the overall feel/canonical resemblance (Dat bad timeline yellow hat stripe)

Plus that illusion of sword reach

Being able to dissect these into add-ons would give options and errrrybody love options. That said, Falchion22's title screen is top notch though. Revility edited overworld tiles too so he'd be a good bet for being able to help restore animated ocean tiles ;)

I wonder if changing the order to New Link Sprites (Falchion22) + Rev Edition Ver.1.6 (Revility) + Zelda II Redux (ShadowOne333) would keep the title screen from Falchion, all the Revility sprite edits and then all the changes from ShadowOne333

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #233 on: September 02, 2018, 03:06:40 am »
ShadowOne. Don't change the L sprite position or graphics, at all. It's non-negotiable. If you do, cute kittens will die and you will be sent straight to the depths of Hell, no questions asked. Check this page for more details. It's all about timing.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2018, 11:10:44 am »
ShadowOne. Don't change the L sprite position or graphics, at all. It's non-negotiable. If you do, cute kittens will die and you will be sent straight to the depths of Hell, no questions asked. Check this page for more details. It's all about timing.
Very well then, I'll take that into consideration, thanks for the heads up :)

By the way, guys, I forgot to tell you, the patch has been updated ever since the beginning of the week with all of the text and enemy changes already done to it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nvida92kyh5svj/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

So with that said, where does that leave us?
Well, as you can see, I updated the OP some days ago to reflect the latest changes.
Only main stuff remaining is the following:

HELP NEEDED FOR:
  • Try to restore the moving water animation on the Overworld
  • Try to restore the Dragon Quest reference.
    Currently, the exact spot where the textbox for the reference is triggered in the Famicom version is not there, a hotspot would need to be made for it as well as a new text entry for it.
  • Try to add a PAUSE message on the overworld (this is really hopeful lol)
  • (Possible) Re-arrange the HUD to be more in tone with current Zelda games (Shadow of Night's HUD would do).

Aside from that:
  • Modifying the "Spell" spell name, but that's about it.

Most stuff remaining is somewhat out of my grasp, as I have never attempted doing such things for any other game.
What I've been trying to do this week, is try to rework the HUD (as you saw with the images I posted, to no avail so far), and also try to restore the Dragon Quest reference.

I stumbled upon the Side-view Editor for Zelda 2 and thought I could perhaps use that one to push the text box hotspot in the correct place as if it were a signpost (like those found at the entrance of each town), but sadly I cannot find a way to put the DQ reference back using said editor.

So yeah, right now things might be slower due to the fact that I have no clue so far on how to achieve these remaining things.
Any kind of help is appreciated as always!

In the meanwhile, feel free to do a playthrough of the game and test it out thoroughly.
It should more or less now be complete without the slight retouches I want to apply to it.
(Side note: I might include Revility's graphical changes as an optional hack, but that will have to wait until all points are done and out of the way)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2018, 11:20:35 am »
The tile mappings for the Pause Pane are at 1C1A. They include the spell names. And there's filler with period tiles, so it's super easy to modify. The "SPELL" spell's exact offset is 1C7E.

As for the Dragon Quest reference, I find this intriguing. Is it something specific to the Japanese version? I know there is one string of text in the US version that is never seen in the game. It's index 5F, and goes like this: "THE TOWN IS DEAD. LOOK EAST IN WOODS." One would expect to see that in old Kasuto, referring to Hidden Kasuto. It's possible that the invisible dialog object is present in the Side View data, but the room is unreachable in-game.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2018, 11:24:30 am »
The tile mappings for the Pause Pane are at 1C1A. They include the spell names. And there's filler with period tiles, so it's super easy to modify. The "SPELL" spell's exact offset is 1C7E.

As for the Dragon Quest reference, I find this intriguing. Is it something specific to the Japanese version? I know there is one string of text in the US version that is never seen in the game. It's index 5F, and goes like this: "THE TOWN IS DEAD. LOOK EAST IN WOODS." One would expect to see that in old Kasuto, referring to Hidden Kasuto. It's possible that the invisible dialog object is present in the Side View data, but the room is unreachable in-game.
Thanks for the info on the Pause pane :)

As for the Dragon Quest reference, yes, it's Japan-specific.
If you go to the crosses in Saria, you can't trigger the textbox in the US release.

HOWEVER...
The text and its pointer ARE STILL in the game, but they simply dummied out.
I believe it's the text with a bunch of 22222 in it.
That's supposed to be the US couterpart of the Dragon Quest reference, if you follow the pointer/text arrangement of the Japanese release, those 2s is where the reference should be in the US ROM.
Only thing is that the text cannot be triggered, it seems like they removed the hotspot which makes that spot popup a text box.

darkanx

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 09, 2018, 05:23:46 am »
Very nice work. I was trying something similar a long while back, but didn't get too far in. I always thought the tileset was way too simple and was trying my best to spruce things up. Keep it up! I am eager to see how it turns out! Would love to see more visual variety in the temples and such.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 09, 2018, 09:51:04 am »
ShadowOne, you can indeed reinstate the lost dialog with the sideview editor.

The only limitation, however, is that you need to change one of the other "enemies" in that scene to take over the role of the lost dialog trigger. Enemies in towns are everything from bats to people to signs. I haven't figured out a way to make the editor append enemies to scenes without causing errors. I've tried other editors to see what they've done, but none have been able to do it without errors! So what we're going to do here is change the random townsfolk generator in this scene. (Who cares if random people don't spawn right away when you enter from the left).

So here's what I've done, and you can do the same:

1. Load up the sideview editor and go to scene 7 of town set A in west hyrule.
2. Click the "Edit Enemies" radiobutton at the bottom of the editor.
3. Click the enemy that generates random townsfolk, and move it to the crosses.
4. Change it to be an invisible dialog starter by clicking on the icon next to the sleeping blob option.
5. Save!

Each "enemy" that you see listed in the editor, from the sleeping bat to the random townsfolk, are dialog triggers. The current town id dictates what each one will say.

#00 - sleeping bat
#01 - sleeping blob
#02 - first invisible dialog. The enemy that had this id was removed from the Saria town graveyard in the US release. It triggers dialog number 31 (1F in hex). If you want to get fancy, you can change which dialog it points to by right-clicking it, but I don't think you'll need to do that.

And I see you already reinstated the original text :) Here's how it is when I test it out.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2018, 03:42:19 am »
The "22222" dialog is actually ".....", and it's what the sleeping Ache in Nabooru says three times before telling you about a Heart Container at the fourth attempt.