News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat SNES blood + gore hack / uncensored.  (Read 3623 times)

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
Mortal Kombat SNES blood + gore hack / uncensored.
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:34:49 pm »
I've been working on my own Mortal Kombat 1 uncensored hack for the SNES. I am going to post 2 roms. The first one is what I have done of the "Uncensored" version. It's not arcade perfect but a decent amount of work has been done. The second is a version of the game with the same uncensored hacks but with a new headless sub boss / sprite swap. I used a hex editor to change up all the text I could IE. Finishing move is now back to FATALITY, Rayden back to RAIDEN and uncensored story text from the arcade. I tried to add blood to the bottom of the pit, but it corrupts the stage graphics/rest of the game. Blood does not drip or fall to the ground (Except for Yuan sub boss), I do not know how to program that. I used Tile Layer Pro and YY-CHR to make the graphical changes. This was all done through trial and error, manual graphic edits to the bytes. I have reached my limit with the knowledge I have of this games code. If anyone wants to jump in and contribute, I'm cool with that.

LINK (Includes 2 IPS patches):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iespthrtf7knooj/MK%20SNES%20IPS%20PATCHES.zip?dl=0

SCREENSHOTS (click on to zoom in).

MORTAL KOMBAT UNCENSORED

MORTAL KOMBAT - CURSE OF YUÁN (巫怨) cover

Feel free to check out my roms and let me know what you think:
-RETROSLAM  :beer:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:55:08 pm by hackedretrogaming »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Mortal Kombat SNES blood + gore hack / uncensored.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 11:46:32 am »
This looks interesting.
Have you managed to restore back the full fatalities from the Arcade back into the SNES ROM?
Like Kano's heart rip, Sub-Zero's spine rip, Rayden's exploding one, etc.?

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 03:52:46 pm »
Can you make the patches, please? I want to try out this.

Everything is ok, except for the Yuan thing. Do a separate hack for that.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:12:12 pm »
I'd try this out as well if you could make patches for them. I don't care for the Yuan thing myself either so I say definitely make that a separate patch.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 05:02:21 pm »
Link to both IPS patches. Two versions : Uncensored (What I have of it so far) and Yuan version (Also has same edits as uncensored + romhacked goro sprite). Works on US and PAL MK 1 snes from what I have tested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iespthrtf7knooj/MK%20SNES%20IPS%20PATCHES.zip?dl=0

Fatalities are still the same as the SNES version. I just tried to add extra blood to the ones I could. I do not know how to reprogram commands or anything complex like that. These are just cosmetic/sprite redrawn changes. Also if anyone is wondering, no the rom does not have "censored" or "uncensored" sprites. Rom does not include fatality frames/sprites of animation. So no code for head rip sprite, no decapitated kneeling sprite etc...

I also tried to add gore back to the pit stage / goro's lair but every time I tried to edit the background, the game would crash.

Let me know what you guys think. If anyone wants to help or knows any programming, let me know and have fun. I have been wanting a proper Uncensored MK1 for snes for ages. So this is just the best I could do with the little knowledge I have of the snes game.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 09:10:46 am »
Thought I'd let you know, theres already a change sweat red hack on the site.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 01:16:37 pm »
Yes but If I remember correctly, the blood is not that extensive in that hack.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 02:36:15 pm »
Just tried out the uncensored patch, good job there with the blood splatters.
Seem much better than the Blood4Sweat one available.

Aside from that, maybe a little bit more restoration based on the original Arcade graphics would be a nice touch, to keep it as close to the original as possible.

And about the fatalities:
  • From what I can see, Liu Kang's, Scorpion's and Sonya's fatalities are pretty much intact from the Arcade version.
  • Kano's I believe can be restored without much effort. It seems the fatality is still intact, but they simply removed the blood from it, and it seems the devs removed the heart sprite from the fatality, this could be an easy one to restore if that's what they actually did.
  • The most difficult ones to restore would be Sub-Zero's, Johnny Cage's and Raiden's, since those are almost entirely different from those in the game. Raiden is the closest one to Arcade, but it lacks the head explosion and the intact body after the explosion. For both Sub Zero and Johnny Cage, I once suggested perhaps keeping the current fatalities as an extra 2nd one, IF the originals can be restored somehow.
  • The Pit and the stages (as mentioned before), do still need uncensoring. Maybe it might have something to do with the compression used by the game or something.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 06:26:16 pm »
Theres a game genie code that lets you display a win streak screen. Should look for that. All thats missing is the name entry.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 07:08:07 pm »
Can you rearrange the Background themes to make them closer to the arcade?

Goro's Lair (excluding Endurance 3 and Goro fight) must have Warrior Shrine instead of Palace Gates.

Reptile secret battle must have Throne Room instead of Warrior Shrine.

And Shang Tsung must have Throne Room in Goro's Lair.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 10:18:34 am »
The patches change the NTSC rom to PAL.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 08:17:51 pm »
The patches change the NTSC rom to PAL.

That's odd, I used the NTSC patch.

Thought I'd let you know, theres already a change sweat red hack on the site.

Yeah I know, This does a little more than that. Add's 20% more blood (noticeable uppercutting Lui Kang, Johhny Cage, Goro), adds original blood/gore chest wounds in Fatalites (Seen on Kano's, Johhny Cage's), Johnny Cage's leg has blood on his lame leg kicking through chest fatality (It's something). Replaced text like Rayden back to Raiden, Finishing Move back to FATALITY. A few terms in the story are back to the arcade original. Kano holds grey heart for heart rip Fatality (Tried to make it red but runs his costume color pallet).

This looks interesting.
Have you managed to restore back the full fatalities from the Arcade back into the SNES ROM?
Like Kano's heart rip, Sub-Zero's spine rip, Rayden's exploding one, etc.?

Kano's heart rip. Well I tried to draw a grey heart at least. If I turn it red, it glitches his costume's color pallet. Also working with those specific graphic tiles, can glitch the game. They seemed to be compressed and I re-drew em in Tile Layer Pro. Used nothing fancy.

The other fatalities are the same. Changing them would require advanced programming, creation of new sprites.

However  - there is now blood on Johnny Cage's leg when he does his fatality. Custom chest gore/blood wounds, and the words FATALITY are now restored.

I'd try this out as well if you could make patches for them. I don't care for the Yuan thing myself either so I say definitely make that a separate patch.

Yes, I made the Yuan Thing it's own patch. I would recommend checking it out. It was me trying to add my own sprite/character to Mortal Kombat. I did this in order to learn a little bit more about the game and learning how to make a decent digitized/custom sprite for MK1 SNES. His fight is the bloodiest, complete with blood splatters that fly across the screen and drip on the floor like the Arcade version.

Theres a game genie code that lets you display a win streak screen. Should look for that. All thats missing is the name entry.

Tried it. Once you enter initials, you fight Reptile in the Warrior Shrine in limbo. Cannot get out of that fight if you win or lose. Do not know how to change hex command to restart a new game.

Can you rearrange the Background themes to make them closer to the arcade?

Goro's Lair (excluding Endurance 3 and Goro fight) must have Warrior Shrine instead of Palace Gates.

Reptile secret battle must have Throne Room instead of Warrior Shrine.

And Shang Tsung must have Throne Room in Goro's Lair.

I do not know how to change the order of the stages. I also tried restoring gore to the Pit Bottom and Goro's Lair. Every edit I've tried crashes the game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:59:04 am by Nightcrawler »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 02:57:25 pm »
I do not know how to change the order of the stages. I also tried restoring gore to the Pit Bottom and Goro's Lair. Every edit I've tried crashes the game.

No, not the stages per se, just the BGM order. I worked on the UMK3 hack, and noticed a string of preset BGMs at round beginning, climax and end. I guess this is just one string only, since there's no stage transition.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 03:39:09 pm »
@hackedretrogaming do you have a patch with your latest changes?
I might be able to come up with something for Kano's fatality's heart sprite.

Also, I suggest adding the IPS patches links to the OP, remove the old ROM links and put the patch links there instead for easy access.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 06:54:12 pm »
No, not the stages per se, just the BGM order. I worked on the UMK3 hack, and noticed a string of preset BGMs at round beginning, climax and end. I guess this is just one string only, since there's no stage transition.

If you would like to jump in and help, be my guest. I am not too good at romhacking other than minor graphical changes. I just tinkered with the rom on Tile Layer Pro. I wouldn't know how to mess with the BGM. I did however, want to apply the MSU-1 Arcade audio patch to this project in the future.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 06:59:03 pm »

Also, I suggest adding the IPS patches links to the OP, remove the old ROM links and put the patch links there instead for easy access.

I just made the change to OP. I rarely use Romhacking dot net but i'll keep updating here. I've been working on this project since last year. I stopped because I reached the limitations of my romhacking skills. 

If you want to have a crack at the game, let me know. The IPS patches I posted are the last build of this project. Also just to let you know, The tile where the heart is supposed to be will affect another graphic tile on Kano's shoulder.

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 04:38:53 pm »
You should upload this to the main site.  Its pretty good and I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy it.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 11:26:33 pm »
You should upload this to the main site.  Its pretty good and I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy it.
I second this.

Hopefully, if someone else continues the project someday, it can improve the known input lag of the game, so it could become Mortal Kombat Champion Edition.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 12:04:04 am »

I will consider it, I just wanted add more to the romhack(s) and came here if anyone wanted to continue adding to my work.
The yuan edition might be uploaded as is to the main site.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:30 pm »

Sorry for taking so long for trying this out.
I tried looking for Kano's palette, but I didn't get an exact match, so I couldn't find it.
Do you happen to know where the palette for Kano is in the ROM?

I did find his graphics, they start at 0x0D0000 and end at 0x0E167F.
You can somewhat view them with the custom palette I did for viewing in YY-CHR:
.dat:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mfru31qwa9bn140/Mortal_Kombat.dat/file
.pal:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/meavga49r2zj27p/Mortal_Kombat.pal/file

Once I know where the palette for Kano is, I might be able to pull something off to make the heart look red and as close to arcade as possible.

Another thing that could be done to avoid editing Kano's palette, would be to change the attribute table for the heart sprite ONLY (since it is a 8x8 sprite I believe), and make it so that it uses the last palette from the Sprite/Foreground palettes, which is the one used for the blood splatters.
That could be the best possible solution for this, but I have zero clue as to how to find the heart sprite attribute table.