News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana twisted (Demo)  (Read 456 times)

Tomsom

• View Profile
Secret of Mana twisted (Demo)
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:27:59 pm »

What is it?
Secret of Mana twisted is a project I have to edit maps of the SNES Secret of Mana. The layout of the vanilla game is rearranged to create new paths. This is a demo for now, just the very beginning of the game is concerned. Paths are generally longer and less optimal.

Features:
- 11 maps edited (fields around Pandora, Gaea Navel and haunted forest)
- Few recolors
- Edited Lullabud resting sprite

How do I do that?
I'm using Secret of Mana Editor build 0213 preliminary release. This is a great tool but really buggy. I also used tlp a little bit.

Technical challenges I'd like to figure out:
- Being able to add more enemies to a map, creating new enemies
- Adding brand new maps/creating new areas

The demo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbc2i4cm06ct7nr/SOMtwisteddemo.bps?dl=0
(bps patch for the US version)
Remember to save frequently as you might get stuck in the landscape (if this happens please send me a screenshot so I can correct it).
Tell me if you think this represents any interest, or any suggestion  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:30:04 pm by Tomsom »

mkwong98

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana twisted (Demo)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:50:35 pm »
I'm using that editor too. What do you mean by "just saving map pieces"? How do you do it?

Tomsom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 06:04:45 am »
I don't know if the editor encounters more problems on my computer but other users seemed to have the same problems.
The only way I found to save my work is to use the option: Map piece -> Export piece... -> SOM Edit Piece Format
It is only available in the menu bar when you are currently editing a map layer. But this means I have to import all the layers back (and slightly modify them so they are taken in consideration) after I open/close the app.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:21:35 am »
It is possible to keep other changes too by using "Export to ROM" to save and "New Project" to load.

This is what I do to make the editor load the exported ROM file as a new project:
1. Make changes to the game using the SOM editor
2. Use "Export to ROM" to save to a smc file
3. Open the file with a hex editor
4. Remove the header added by the SOM editor by deleting the section from address $000000 to $0001FF
5. Change the value at $00FFDB from 0F to 00
6. Save the changes to the file
7. In the SOM editor, use "New Project" and select that file

Hope this helps. Make sure to backup your smc file just in case of messing up with hex editor.

Tomsom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:49:50 pm »
Thank you so much, this helps me a lot! It will save me a lot of time and energy.

I am learning a lot everyday about coding. I've figured out how to move enemies location within the map and change maps color palette. Looking forward creating great quality content.
I'd love also to add content to the game instead of just modifying. Would love to create new areas and new enemies, not sure I'll be able to do this one day though.