News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Playing SotN for the first time.  (Read 4980 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Playing SotN for the first time.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:02 am »
Got lost last run after doing the Clock Tower until I found a bunch of branches I missed, now I'm on my way back to the catacombs with the echolocation ability, and I thought I had explored everything. :laugh:

So what the Shield Rod actually does is give you a unique effect for every shield in the game,
I had just kind of assumed it was just a more broken version of the Holy Rod.

Right now the Holy Rod is my goto for quickly clearing enemies that would normally chip away at my health
while I have a secondary that I change up depending on bosses etc.

Spells right now are Dark Metamorphosis, Hellfire, and Summon Spirit,
and speaking of spirits, does anybody know how to summon familiars? Iv'e got two now(Fairy and Demon) but they don't seem to activate automatically.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 12:37:53 pm »
and speaking of spirits, does anybody know how to summon familiars? Iv'e got two now(Fairy and Demon) but they don't seem to activate automatically.

Each has a toggle in your Relics menu. You can only have one familiar active at a time, which is probably why they're all turned off by default.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 03:29:32 pm »
Thanks, I usually have no reason to mess around with my relics since they usually turn on by default, so I had no Idea they were there, gonna need em now since I'm finally in the Reverse Castle after like 8 hours of playtime lol.

That Gold and Silver Ring Puzzle was pretty cryptic though, either that or mistranslated, I had to look up the solution.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 10:05:35 pm »
I've always wondered why the Lion, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Man are all in the Reverse Library, but instead of Dorothy Gale and Toto, we get a ghost enemy called Schmoo. It's kind of...

...Um...impenetrable, the logic of it.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »
I've always wondered why the Lion, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Man are all in the Reverse Library, but instead of Dorothy Gale and Toto, we get a ghost enemy called Schmoo. It's kind of...

...Um...impenetrable, the logic of it.
Yeah, I noticed some weird choices in there, the hell is a Schmoo anyway?

The BGM in Reverse Library is pretty boss though, nice since I'm gonna be in there awhile.

February 28, 2018, 11:58:49 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Prefer Crissaegrim myself, but it's a rare drop from one enemy and as such isn't exactly readily available in most playthroughs unless you know where to look.
Speaking of Crissaegrim... >:D

I got down to the reverse caves and found it in my inventory suddenly, I have no idea where I even picked it up at :laugh:, the dps on the thing is completely overkill, all the enemies that were giving me shit before just kind of evaporate now.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:58:49 am by SleepyFist »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »
Yeah, I noticed some weird choices in there, the hell is a Schmoo anyway?

I got down to the reverse caves and found it in my inventory suddenly, I have no idea where I even picked it up at :laugh:

You've sort of answered your own question here, unknowningly :) It's a rare drop from the Schmoo enemy. But yeah, not only is the dps completely bonkers, you can continue moving while it goes off, unlike most weapons which require Alucard to plant his feet.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 05:48:36 pm »
You've sort of answered your own question here, unknowningly :) It's a rare drop from the Schmoo enemy. But yeah, not only is the dps completely bonkers, you can continue moving while it goes off, unlike most weapons which require Alucard to plant his feet.

Just finished the game a minute ago, I held back on Crissaegrim for the regular bosses and then used it to spectacularly wreck Dracula, all in all it was a hell of a lot of fun, although it does seem like the game starts running thin when you reach the Reverse Castle, I Am the Wind was a bizarre choice of ending music too.

I think about the only things I missed were a single relic and a weird blocked door in the abandoned mine.

I heard about Richter mode so I started a run for a few minutes until psx's load area bug cropped up,
and there's no way around it since Richter doesn't have an inventory to open.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 10:22:46 pm »
The Crissaegrim has to be one of the most OP pieces of equipment in any game (on par with the Egg Ring in Lufia 2). I'm a compulsive breaker of game systems, but that knife made me feel bad for the monsters--especially Drac, who went down in in literally a handful of Criss bursts.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 05:50:02 pm »
I heard about Richter mode so I started a run for a few minutes until psx's load area bug cropped up,

One thing about Richter mode that most people don't get is that he actually benefits from health expansions. It doesn't look like it at first because his health is displayed as a percentage (a bar) instead of a flat value, but they do have an effect. A lot of folks who are turned off by Richter mode and find it to be too difficult don't actually realize that the health expansions do in fact help him.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 07:27:55 pm »
One thing about Richter mode that most people don't get is that he actually benefits from health expansions. It doesn't look like it at first because his health is displayed as a percentage (a bar) instead of a flat value, but they do have an effect. A lot of folks who are turned off by Richter mode and find it to be too difficult don't actually realize that the health expansions do in fact help him.

I didn't know the Health pickups were actually having an effect, partly because you're not stopped briefly by it like you are in the main game.

I also thought if anything Richter mode actually felt easier than Alucard mode,
he's way faster and dishes out more damage than early-game Alucard, being able to flail the whip around also solves the problem with enemies frequently being too high or too low to hit as well.

mithras123

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:07 pm »
I still didn't played this game but i know that it's very good. maybe someday on my ps3!

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 08:42:56 am »
Just finished the game a minute ago, I held back on Crissaegrim for the regular bosses and then used it to spectacularly wreck Dracula, all in all it was a hell of a lot of fun, although it does seem like the game starts running thin when you reach the Reverse Castle, I Am the Wind was a bizarre choice of ending music too.

I think about the only things I missed were a single relic and a weird blocked door in the abandoned mine.

Glad you finished Castelevania SOTN, It's still a decent game. Back in the day SOTN was superb and quite original in it's gameplay. Today it has been outshined by it's sequels (Game Boy Advance, DS, etc). Also about the Ending Credits:

Yeah quite a few people where turned off by the ending song, maybe because putting a love ballad into a video game about creepy vampire is not the most logical choice. ^^ My opinion? I played the game back in the day on the real system and was totally caught off balance, I didn't explect such a beautiful song, especially since Alucard -not matter what ending- didn't develop any kind of love relationship. The lyrics reminded me the true loneliness of being a vampire.

This might explain why I Am The Wind has been replaced by a new instrumental piece in the The Dracula X Chronicles PSP Remake. The new instrumental song is entitled Serenade of Sympathy:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night PSP Credits Song (Youtube)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:50:31 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 01:57:13 pm »
I actually like Seranade of Sympathy much better, and it does fit better thematically with the game,
although I can how some would prefer I am the Wind for having fitting lyrics.

I'm thinking of doing the Aria & Dawn games sometime, but I'm not looking forward to the touchscreen stuff I hear they shoehorned into Dawn of Sorrow, I saw something awhile ago where that, and the change in artstyle were called out as the main problems with that game.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:04:14 pm by SleepyFist »

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 09:32:07 am »
I liked em both when I think about it, myself.

But why can't it be another remix of Castle Entrance? The two they did are both amazing.

As you can see, this is a PlayStation Black Disc. Cut number one contains computer data, so please, don't try to play it. But you probably won't listen to me...will you?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:46 pm »
Yeah, I know better than to try to play the data track :P

That reminds me, a couple weeks ago me and my friend were out and I picked up a copy of Evolution for the Dreamcast,

cue popping it into the CD player hoping it would play like a PSX disc. Nothing...
Friend cranks up the volume to max, switches to track 2 before I could stop him.

THIS DISC IS ONLY FOR USE IN THE SEGA DREAMCAST SYSTEM!

Scared the living hell out of both of us, damn near went off the road lol.

But back to Castlevania, it would have been nice to get something grand and gothic but with lyrics too,
couldn't have gone wrong with a medley either.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:17:53 pm by SleepyFist »

mithras123

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 08:47:51 pm »
I've just bought symphony for ps3 i can't wait to finish this beautiful game!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 04:02:22 pm »
I'll probably be buying the PSN version one of these days if I can't track down the actual disc at the bargain store first.

Tbh considering Konami's rep lately I'd actually rather buy used anyway.

On another note, Has anybody ever played Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night?
I think, by the time I'd heard about it, it had already been removed from the appstore.

According to reviews it was actually quite well done, but turned off all of it's potential players somehow.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 11:12:21 pm »
Tbh considering Konami's rep lately I'd actually rather buy used anyway.

... I gave this a lot of thought recently.

I've performed lots of dirty blues, and even written erotic love poetry beyond that genre before. I play rock and roll, it makes people want to bone.

... Am I that different? Are any of us, whom perpetuate this hypersexualized society? Our moms want grandbabies, or something, and we've internalized the demand so heavily that we have simply constructed a societal aphrodesiac in a phantom guilt trip form?

... And the Netflix CV anime is damn fine if you ask me. I'm willing to forgive them, for just that. Nice action blocking. I hate it when a fight scene is just random chaos that you can't possibly follow.

Editare: By the way, guys...

Why is everyone so weirded out by "I Am The Wind?" :| You don't think they have western music radio stations in Japan? What are you stupid or something? FF6 should have already told you they know what Opera is.

Think of this; Alucard is thinking of his mother, Lisa, whether Mario (Maria, sorry) follows him or not. LISA's memory is at rest now that Alucard has prevented his father from destroying the human race, and communicated her dying wish to him (Draculer).

Don't you love your mom? Everybody loves their mom, unless I'm mistaken. Primary attachment figure, psychology.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:26:17 pm by Spooniest »

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 08:35:46 pm »
... And the Netflix CV anime is damn fine if you ask me. I'm willing to forgive them, for just that.

Castlevania season 2 should be making its way to Netflix soon. Season 1 was released during the summer. If they're on schedule we'll get to see season 2 soon. The anime definitely feels lacking. When playing the game it's a hands-on experience. It's weird you can't control the character, or spend hours fighting bats and stuff.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds