UPDATE: I will be using this topic for updates to all of my non-Script Overhaul LOD hacking-related activities now, as well. At the moment, that includes the Full XP mod that I released, and work on what will hopefully be a unified system for applying mods to LOD, to make it easier for end users to apply multiple mods.
Hey now, Dart, that disc took a lot of work... (and can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/evm7g9b06e9rlmg/LOD_Disc1_Script_Overhaul_beta.zip/file
ORIGINAL: I've been working on this for a while now, but I feel like I'm finally far enough in this project to post a topic for it here.
This project is intended as a fix for the (often amusingly) poor official localization of The Legend of Dragoon. To be clear, I'm calling this a "script overhaul," not a retranslation
, as it is based off of the English version of the game. The aim isn't to create a more technically accurate translation of the game, but to edit and improve the script that English-speaking players already know and love, in spite of its foibles.
This is also more than a simple grammar fix. Some of the changes I make to individual lines are quite substantial, but I always strive to make sure that the original intents of the lines and personalities of the characters are retained.
In general, what I'm trying to do is:
- Fix poor grammar and punctuation
- Better word choice
- Remove bowdlerizations
- Rewrite clumsy sentences
- Improve dialogue flow
- Generally add more "color" to dry dialogue, and make sure characters say things that humans might actually say
- Expand some NPC dialogue, so that they have more to say (that is, the dialogue seen when returning to locations later in the game)
I am doing this for all the text in the game (eventually). That includes the main story, NPCs, environmental objects, combat, and in-engine cutscenes. For now, the project is just me, with some editing help on my altered script by a friend of mine. The script on the first disc alone is well over 40,000 words, so it won't be finished for quite some time. Progress is steady, though, if not very fast. ProgressScript Overhaul
- Disc 1 Beta v. 0.9: 95%
- Non-dialogue text (menus, items, etc.): 100%
- Patch creation: 0% (Waiting until patching process more finalized)
Other LOD mods
- Disc 2 script: 0%
- Disc 3 script: 0%
- Disc 4 script: 0%
LOD modding tools
- Update Full XP mod release to new patching system: 0%
- Extend NoOneee's Undub mod to include all voice audio (tentative): 0%
- Hacking tools v.4: 70% (All parts being updated to work with new configuration file system)
- Hacking tools documentation: 1%
- A lot, probably: ???%
Italics proof of concept:
World map text change proof of concept: