News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB3 Autoscroll in SMB3 Workshop  (Read 882 times)

Freakin_HA

• View Profile
SMB3 Autoscroll in SMB3 Workshop
« on: March 05, 2018, 04:00:26 am »
Hey, looking for some help with moving the autoscroll sprite past the editable area within SMB3 workshop.

I want to get the same autoscroll that 3-3 has but in a different level (7-8). From what I could find it looked like the solution was using a different editor to move the auto scroll (tried two others, but win 10 won't let me run them) or to hex edit the location, and since I can't load up the others I'm stuck with hex editing.

I'm fine with doing it that way, but I don't know what I need to change to get it to move, or what I need to set it to to get the correct scroll.

If anyone has any idea how to do it or even just point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated :)

Quick Curly

• View Profile
Re: SMB3 Autoscroll in SMB3 Workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:07:34 am »
Hello! :)

I like to do all my manual enemy hex editing in the hex editor in FCEUXD.
So, the first 'enemy' placed in the Autoscrolling levels is the "Autoscrolling" sprite (Type: 211 (D3 in hex)).
We also need the data for the levels that we're looking at; in this case, 3-3 and 7-8.

3-3
Object Data: 1FE79
Enemy Data: C59E
Object Set: 1-Plains

7-8
Object Data: 1EF7F
Enemy Data: C33D
Object Set: 1-Plains

With the SMB3 ROM open in FCEUXD, when you scroll down to 0xC59E, the first 4 bytes in the original data that you would see are: 01 D3 00 50.
Enemy data sets should always begin with a "00" or "01" byte, so don't remove it and make sure that it's there. SMB3 Workshop displays your enemies by looking for this 'first' byte.
The "D3 00 50" is the Autoscrolling data that you're looking for.
Scroll back up to 0xC33D. The first 4 bytes in the original data would be: 01 A0 11 18 (the necessary "01" and the first "Green Piranha Plant (upward)" enemy). Simply replace "A0 11 18" with "D3 00 50", and you should have your Autoscrolling set up for your custom 7-8!

For reference, the other Autoscrolling settings seen in other original SMB3 levels (where the Autoscrolling sprite is further down while viewing the level in SMB3 Workshop) are the following:

World 1-Dungeon Spike Room
Object Data: 2AA3A
Enemy Data: D361
Object Set: 2-Dungeon
Relevant Data: D3 01 30 D3 1C 30
(This area actually uses 2 Autoscrolling sprites for its effect.)

World 2-Dungeon Spike Room
Object Data: 29C0C
Enemy Data: D264
Object Set: 9-Desert
Relevant Data: D3 04 31

3-8
Object Data: 1AC69
Enemy Data: C964
Object Set: E-Underground
Relevant Data: D3 00 51

4-2
Object Data: 27077
Enemy Data: CF24
Object Set: B-Giant
Relevant Data: D3 00 52

5-9
Object Data: 27212
Enemy Data: CF8B
Object Set: D-Cloudy
Relevant Data: D3 00 20

World 6-Dungeon #3 Falling Room
Object Data: 2B136
Enemy Data: D4B2
Object Set: 2-Dungeon
Relevant Data: D3 08 40

Lost Levels-Lost 6 - Ice
Object Data: 232CF
Enemy Data: CBF5
Object Set: C-Ice
Relevant Data: D3 00 53

Lost Levels-Lost 9 - Clouds
Object Data: 26CB9
Enemy Data: CECD
Relevant Data: D3 00 55

Lost Levels-Lost 10 - Clouds
Object Data: 279BB
Enemy Data: CECD
Relevant Data: D3 00 55

Hopefully this helps. Best of luck. You can do it! :)

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:24:51 am »
Hey, looking for some help with moving the autoscroll sprite past the editable area within SMB3 workshop.

I want to get the same autoscroll that 3-3 has but in a different level (7-8). From what I could find it looked like the solution was using a different editor to move the auto scroll (tried two others, but win 10 won't let me run them) or to hex edit the location, and since I can't load up the others I'm stuck with hex editing.

I'm fine with doing it that way, but I don't know what I need to change to get it to move, or what I need to set it to to get the correct scroll.

If anyone has any idea how to do it or even just point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated :)

If you want to know more about how to customize the autoscroll then pm me and I'll tell you how it works.

Freakin_HA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:33:21 pm »
That's awesome! Thank you both so much! I'll give it a go see if I can get it working.

I really appreciate the detailed response it was super helpful, I'm sure I'll find the rest useful as well as I plan to make use of the scrolling ceilings in a future level. I'm going to give this a go after I'm off work tonight!

Also Mari42, that's great! I'll message you if I have any questions :)

Thanks again!