News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IX FMV Replacement  (Read 246 times)

• View Profile
Final Fantasy IX FMV Replacement
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:37:09 pm »
Hello Romhacking community!

As an introduction, I have no experience with any romhacking, so please correct any wrong assumptions I make.

How viable is it to replace the FFIX PSX FMVs with the Steam FMVs? From initial research the PSX FMVs are in a SRT format, containing an avi files.
However, I don't know if it's possible to import new and bigger SRT files into the rom. Given their higher quality they will be bigger files, and I don't know if roms will allow that, as I've only seen other FMV hacks have a 1:1 substitute.

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Final Fantasy IX FMV Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:10:34 pm »
It's rather useless to do for two reasons: you can't go beyond a certain bitrate for videos on PlayStation, so downsampling would be required. Second reason is, they simply upscaled the original videos instead of rerendering them - again, downsampling those videos would get you nowhere in terms of improvement.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IX FMV Replacement
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 04:28:46 am »
Speaking of FF9 FMVs, I always wondered something. Apparently the audio in the FMVs is recorded at 48000 Hz (as opposed to FF8 which uses 44100 Hz and FF7 which uses XA, at 37800Hz). But the console's output sample rate seems to be 44100 Hz. So this means that the sound in FF9 FMVs is over-sampled as recorded, and downsampled by the console when the FMV is played back, or in other terms that it's technically possible to get slightly better sound quality by replaying the video back from the data rather than using a real Playstation.
Am I correct in understanding this?

This would also mean too much bitrate is dedicated for audio rather than the scrict necessary, so it would be possible to dedicate (slightly) more bitrate for the video instead. Not that this would make any difference.

(Relevant documentation:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:44:31 am by Bregalad »