News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [Technical][NES] Sherlock Holmes: Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken  (Read 902 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
[Technical][NES] Sherlock Holmes: Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:31:57 pm »
Looking for a willing ROM hacker to insert the already English translated script, and perform necessary tasks to ensure all Japanese text appears in English, for Sherlock Holmes: Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken for the NES/Famicom.

English translated script and some notes available here:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes:_Hakushaku_Reijou_Yuukai_Jiken
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:47:05 am by filler »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: [Technical][NES] Sherlock Holmes: Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 02:37:21 am »
Hey, good job! At least most of the work is done on this one now. I haven't looked inside the ROM to see how easy/difficult this will be to do. I'm still working on another translation right now, so if someone else wants to take up the task, I wish them luck. I might be able to get to it once I finish my current translation, though.

I know that the game is pretty stupid, but it'll be nice to tick it off the list. :D

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:06:44 am »
Thanks. :) Spinner 8 was working on this, but has decided to put it down. The up side is he shared his notes so they are a lot more technical than mine would be. Should be some good information there to help you, or someone else, get started. Let me know if/when you get a chance to check it out.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:28:10 am »
Okay, I just had a look. I think I might be in luck: it seems that there's 256 bytes of empty space at the end of the text bank in the ROM, which would be plenty to accommodate a good DTE table. The text is all stored in a straightforward manner, too. This should be a piece of cake. :laugh: I'm very glad that you went through the task of translating that horrible katakana script: it'd drive me insane!

I think I might have to take responsibility for this one. Once I get a DTE routine going, it'll probably be a breeze.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
I think I might have to take responsibility for this one. Once I get a DTE routine going, it'll probably be a breeze.

Sweet! I'll mark this "solved" for now.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:46:06 am »
Sweet! I'll mark this "solved" for now.

Well, let's not jump the gun. :D Unless you mean marking the thread as "solved", which I suppose is okay.

I just spent an hour or two and got a DTE routine working, so now I just need to get some text in there and see how it looks. There's a capital English alphabet in there but I suppose I should add a lower case one. I guess the big problem will be the pointers, but since I'll have to play through the whole game to check the text, I guess it won't be much of an issue.

Is it worth me posting updates on this, or just get it done? Not in Help Wanted, I suppose... okay, I'll just do it and only post if there are serious problems.

EDIT: I've just read the rules. I'll keep my mouth shut until it's done. :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:05:48 am by Psyklax »

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »
Well, let's not jump the gun. :D Unless you mean marking the thread as "solved", which I suppose is okay.

You go it. ;) Nightcrawler updated the rules recently requesting that fulfilled ads be marked "solved". As this is a recruitment board, and you have volunteered, it's solved until such time as you un-volunteer.