News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Complete  (Read 4774 times)

kakerasorcerer

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Complete
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:01:11 am »
Hey everyone.

Here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3891/

I've been working on this for several weeks now. Started out as "getting the Chrono Trigger DS script into the SNES game", but keeping the nuanced lovable translation and simplicity of the original (I.e: CAPS in people's names, CAPS in some phrases when people speak, Frog's accent).

It evolved a bit. Not just cleaning and going through every line of dialogue, correcting the line's speaker, the tabbing, seeing where it's used in the game, fixing translation mishaps the original had (with the help of the DS and SNES scripts, and help of Chrono Compendium's translation document.

Apart from that, scenes were added that add a bit more interaction between the characters and NPCs (Lucca and Melchior, for instance). Nothing major, but small things here and there to make the journey more worthwhile, and explore having different characters in your party.

Last, and bigger in scope, more direct references to Chrono Cross story; the Frozen Flame was added as an element in Zeal, and a possibility of what could have happened with Schala, Zeal, the Flame, Dreamstone, the Mammon Machine, and the Gurus. Mostly Chrono Compendium based, but also a bit of my own (original-material based) theorycrafting. Look out for the references, and figure out how the Ocean Palace incident and the fall of Zeal are explained in this version!

The core gameplay is kept from the SNES original, with mostly SNES original names. No extra content from the DS version added.

So... give it a try. What do you think?
Feel free to ask me what got changed, what you would want added or removed.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:11:31 am by kakerasorcerer »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: Complete
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:55:39 pm »
Looks like CT hacks are making a small comeback as a whole.  Nice! :thumbsup:

Something that I'm catching right away from the screenshots is that your script indents are inconsistent.  In Bugfix we just nixed them completely with Temporal Flux.  For the most part it made everything look nicer (but I don't blame you for not wanting to do that either).

kakerasorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:42:56 pm »
Thanks for the feedback 😊

I've set up a (small) guideline for tab indents. Right now:

When a character with name speaks, his name starts at the very left, and all his further dialogue is indented, though all the following windows too, until someone else speaks.

When a character with no name speaks, or a character reads a note, dialogue is not indented, even if it takes several windows of text.

I've thought hard about removing all indentation, as it looks a bit random sometimes... but I kind of like the original feel, too. Also decapitalizing names...

Would you suggest removing all indentations? What would you do in case a character keeps speaking in further windows? And characters that have no name?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:24:15 pm by kakerasorcerer »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:45:33 pm »
Looks really promising and interesting. I just hope it stays in line with what the creators of Crimson Echoes came up with, since I really enjoy that hack and pretty much consider it "canon".

kakerasorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:07:40 am »
Thanks! I, too, enjoyed Crimson Echoes, and also believe it should be canon that the Frozen Flame had a lot to do with Zeal's fall. Not in an explicit way, with tons of exposition, but in a more subtle way, where the player can understand what happened and why.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:09:02 am »
Nice to hear, I'm trying out the beginning parts and the revised script looks very clean!

kakerasorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:22:33 am »
I'm working on a minor update, mostly to some line breaks and some splitting lines in several messages. May add some more dialogue in some scenes, but also like to keep it simple, like the original one.

Still, even with the chronotools, it's hard to pinpoint things like "if player has marle in this scene, add this dialogue, otherwise go with this". Still, with the current restrictions, a lot can be done.

Look forward to the "fixing the Masamune" scene, and try it with different characters.

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 11:55:13 am »
Looking at the screenshots, I like your writing. I'll see if your hack is compatible with CT: Lavos' Awakening.

Mrstealth85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 06:28:51 pm »
This really looks like the Chrono Trigger hack I've been looking for! Just a couple of points I would like to make though. First of all, I would really like it if the names of the NPCs were not capitalized like in the bugfix hack. That would make the whole thing look a little more organized in my opinion. Also I agree with Dzumeister who reviewed the hack that there should be an option to use Frog's DS speech. The old English is all right, but giving the player the option to have Frog use a regular speech pattern would also help for consistency's sake.

Otherwise this looks great, and I'm really looking forward to new developments with this hack!

kakerasorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 08:15:00 am »
Thank you so much, the_E_y_Es.

Let me know if it's compatible. This patch only changes the script, so there's a chance it may be.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:03:12 pm »
Looking at the screenshots, I like your writing. I'll see if your hack is compatible with CT: Lavos' Awakening.
If it isn't, Chrono Trigger Platinum should.  Text based hacks don't touch monster status which that one does only.  Even my own is compatible with platinum.

kakerasorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 02:22:10 pm »
Hi Chronosplit!

I see your hack has decapitalization of names and removal of line breaks in dialogue.

Looks nice. I thought long and hard whether to keep them or remove them, but ended up keeping them. It was a matter of nostalgia vs practicality to me.

I may do it in a latter update... if I make up my mind  :P

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 12:14:11 am »
Hi Chronosplit!

I see your hack has decapitalization of names and removal of line breaks in dialogue.

Looks nice. I thought long and hard whether to keep them or remove them, but ended up keeping them. It was a matter of nostalgia vs practicality to me.

I may do it in a latter update... if I make up my mind  :P
Sounds good to me!  I was on the fence too about it originally (outside of keeping things true to the original, the textbox looking more bare at some points was also a concern to me).

semicolin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 11:14:08 am »
This is excellent work. I'm only on my first trip to the future at this point, but already your script revisions have really helped to eliminate some awkward phrasing and help things to flow more naturally. This is exactly what I have wished that someone would do for a while, but I didn't have the know-how to tackle myself. I do have a few comments from my experience thus far if you don't mind:
  • I also tend to agree with a few others that have posted here that it really would look better if the ALL CAPS for non-characters who are speaking would be eliminated. It would just look more intentional and consistent, which would complement the overall theme of your revisions.
  • Is there a possibility of editing some item descriptions? One example is that a few accessories (Defender) refer to increasing Vigor, but the actual stat is Stamina. Same with the Ribbon increasing Strike even though the actual stat is Hit. I don't know if that is able to be fixed or not.
  • The line spoken by the chef's wife on the first trip to 600 AD ("My husband chose this life because he's a pacifist") has an indentation problem. Also during this scene, the Knight Commander enters, but one of the maids still refers to him as "Captain."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:04:05 pm by semicolin »