News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Akumajou Dracula (Famicom) - Menu Text Alteration  (Read 804 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
Akumajou Dracula (Famicom) - Menu Text Alteration
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:15 pm »
Hi, I'm the wierdo that's been making all those Localization Fix thingies for some of the old Castlevania games, the most recent being the original Castlevania for the NES: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3876/

I also wanted to do the same for the original Famicom version, which, as you know, has a save function and an additional menu with an extra music track:

I also wanted to translate the two menu options, 'NAME TOUROKO' ('NAME ENTRY') and 'NAME KESU' ('NAME ERASE/DELETE') and replace them with English equivalents, but it seems that making even the slightest alterations to either of these two text strings in a hex editor causes the rom to endlessly load and reboot when played on an emulator (I've used FCEUX and Mesen, both with the same result).

I can alter the text strings in the credits and still be able to boot up the game just fine, so obviously the system menu text is much more sensitive to change (for this game, at least).

Would anyone be able to help me out here?

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
Re: Akumajou Dracula (Famicom) - Menu Text Alteration
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:42:06 am »
In the FCEUX emulator when you open the hex editor the title screen and the name stage screen are in the NES MEMORY HEX which I am not sure if you can edit or if there are any tools out there King Mike would probably be able to help you more than I could.

You can edit the NES MEMORY in the FCEUX but you can't save it. One thing I did notice is that when replacing letters it doesn't like it when you use FD for a blank space make sure you use 00 until you get to FD

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:47:53 am »
Almost certainly Konami checksum-protected the files on this game as they have been found to do on other games.
Need to find the ASM code which JMP to the BIOS' Reset routine and disable it.

Just looking for 4C 24 EE (JMP $EE24), I find this hex
A9 00 20 87 CC F0 08 A9 00 8D 03 01 4C 24 EE
One way to disable it would be to find that and then put EA for all the bytes in the sequence AFTER the F0 08. I haven't checked but that should work.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:28:45 pm »
Almost certainly Konami checksum-protected the files on this game as they have been found to do on other games.
Need to find the ASM code which JMP to the BIOS' Reset routine and disable it.

Just looking for 4C 24 EE (JMP $EE24), I find this hex
A9 00 20 87 CC F0 08 A9 00 8D 03 01 4C 24 EE
One way to disable it would be to find that and then put EA for all the bytes in the sequence AFTER the F0 08. I haven't checked but that should work.
IT WORKS! THANK YOU!

Expect a patch for the FDS version in a little while. At some point in the future, I might even be able to insert a localized title screen both for this version and Akumajou Dracula for the regular Famicom.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:51:32 am by spiffy »