News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dawn of Sorrow - Localization Fix (enemy/soul/name queries)  (Read 1422 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
Dawn of Sorrow - Localization Fix (enemy/soul/name queries)
« on: February 11, 2018, 03:33:37 am »
It's that time again, ladies and gentleman. I've just got a few remaining lines and names to address before I begin my test playthrough of the game on my DS:

#20 - Mollusca (モニュモニュ - 'monyu-monyu')
- The Japanese name is obviously some kind of onomatopoeia, although it's apparently ambiguous enough that I can't seem to find any conclusive answers or definitions anywhere online. Crying/weeping, squeezing/groping, squelching/squishing... the general idea seems to be the sustained squelching/squishing sound of soft or moist organic matter... which would be entirely appropriate for a gigantic slug moving across the ground. I just need to know if my suspicions are correct before I can start thinking of a name that appropriately 'conveys' the sound.

#37 - Valkyrie:
- The official English description simply copy/pastes the one from AoS. The original Japanese reads "邪悪な心に聖なる力を持つ、好戦的な乙女"
- Took a slight liberty here and translated it as "A battle-loving maiden whose wicked heart conceals a holy power." While the line reads okay enough, I just hope that my choice of the word 'conceal' doesn't mangle the line's original intention.

#49 - Guillotiner/Guillotine Devil:
- The original Japanese description reads: "何万もの人間をギロチンに かけた悪魔"
- Official English description: "Rumored to have chopped off hundreds of heads with its bloody guillotine."
- I've opted to go with the translation used in Order of Ecclesia, which reads: "A demon who has executed countless victims in its bloody guillotine." At a glance, it definitely feels more accurate than the one used in DoS, though I'm still a bit iffy about my reading of '何万', which in this context seems to indicate a massive unknown quantity (countless) rather than something more specific (hundreds).

#81 - Mothman:
- Second line of original Japanese description: "灯りに誘われて何処からかやってくる"
- 2nd line of English desc.: "It appears to be attracted to the light."
- I've a feeling that the original English translation is sufficient, but I'm still unsure about the Japanese: '[Is] attracted/lured to light and will show up/arrive someplace"? "Shows up/arrives at places where [it is] attracted/lured by light"?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Sorrow - Localization Fix (enemy/soul/name queries)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:22:06 am »
Valkyrie is "A belligerent maiden who holds a sacred power in her wicked heart."
Guillotiner/Guillotine Devil is "A demon who has caught tens of thousands [of people] in its guillotine."
Mothman I believe is "It arrives from somewhere when tempted by light."

SinWorld

• View Profile
Re: Dawn of Sorrow - Localization Fix (enemy/soul/name queries)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »

monyu-monyu is fine, I wouldn't want to translate the names at least.

A battle-loving maiden whose wicked heart possesses/harbors/houses/holds a holy power.