News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 604898 times)

CanoeFan

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #2320 on: May 07, 2018, 03:45:19 pm »
I mentioned this up above but that's the way Canoe works, every game with an ingame save will get overwritten if you load a savestate.

Yes I know, I'm just trying to figure out what his actual issue is, because he says it doesn't happen on the stock game.

EDIT: What does this "slowromcheckfix" actually do? I know most Quintet games and Star Ocean need it to run, and it seems to be a really small change in the ROM. (it was something figured out very early after the SNES classic release)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:54:25 pm by CanoeFan »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: May 07, 2018, 04:20:23 pm »
Took sluffy's patched ToP and ran it through ucon64 with -l which is the slowrom fix and the sound works much better in Canoe now
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:45:52 pm by Bosco82 »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: May 07, 2018, 04:51:13 pm »
Does slowrom do anything for the hdma ones:
- Clay Fighter 1/2
- Earthworm Jim 2
- NHL
- NFL Madden
- NBA Live
- WeaponLord

slowromcheckfix slows down cpu, which syncs better with apu for some sound engines.

Thanks for testing ToP. At least we now know for sure what's causing some problems. Maybe even the demitel hang? Because it stops for emotion balloons and some other events.

===1
And a new question from user teahouser (buried somewhere by now):
There is this Chrono Trigger bugfix and uncensoring patch https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/ that I would like to use, but isn't working with Canoe. Using ID 0B11 in Hakchi the game opens in Canoe, the opening fireworks cutscene plays, your mom asking you to wake up dialogue shows up, then a black screen, no error message appears. I'm using the "Bugfix+SkyDark and Name Liberties" patch on an unheadered copy of CT.

I can't check this of course so open season on this one.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 07, 2018, 04:55:22 pm »
I would need a save to test the Demitel hang

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 07, 2018, 04:57:29 pm »
Duh on my part. Here's a super save. Use slot 3.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/7899b5

Walk straight up. Beat crap out of boss. See if you regain control of player after few cutscenes.

===1
For Mario pid and Kirby 3, going to try 8MB sa-1 rom and see if Canoe takes it. Kirby 3 won't be able to corrupt that high.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: May 07, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »
I went ahead and did the same as Bosco82, and yup, the sound is perfectly fine now.
Voice samples now play correctly.

Although with the slowROM check fix applied, there is an issue in the intro song (track 1 in Sound Menu).
The voice sample played at about 0:52-0:55 does not play.
Same in Canoe and in Higan.
This issue does not occur in vanilla tales_0b-cp3a patch (Higan).

Also, with the slowROM check fix applied, battles cause the game to freeze.
When entering a battle, it enters the battle screen, but nothing is there except for the background and battle menu boxes (no text though).
https://i.imgur.com/L8ofqHR.jpg

The freeze that occurs in the middle of the conversation with Demitel still happens though.
Exact same spot as with vanilla tales_0b-cp3a patch.
Looks like that might not be slowROM check fix related after all.

Kirby 3
I tested IDs 109C, 109D, and 109E, like Arkiokin.
But the SRAM saved correctly with both 109C and 109D (Japan Mario RPG).
SRAM issue persisted with 109E (Europe?), BUT the PAL Mario RPG is just the USA Mario RPG, just given its own ID.

EDIT:

Chronosplit's Chrono Trigger hack expands the ROM to 48 Mbits ExHiROM.
Great hack by the way, it's the one I prefer. ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:11:57 pm by pimpinelephant »

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 07, 2018, 05:08:54 pm »
I'm sorry, it's a bit confuse. I made two videos to explain it better.
Video 1(INCORRECT SAVESTATES): https://youtu.be/Rvh8eHQSVaE
Video 2(HOW SHOULD BE):  https://youtu.be/G2YedR6q_ao

Video 1: any Mario RPG rom using hakchi2 (with and with no patch, doesn't matter). This one has saves issues.
Video 2: stock game, extracted using ftp server, with a patch using darkakuma's sfrom tool (I applied the patch to the sfrom rom directly). This one works fine.

Since the patch works with the stock game, I solved the problem. Thanks.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 07, 2018, 05:15:27 pm »
If you had a save file from the previous rom of Tales it will cause glitches in the game, had my previous save on it and the intro hung, deleted the save and it worked fine, Battles still work fine it is your previous save file breaking the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:22:20 pm by Bosco82 »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 07, 2018, 05:22:23 pm »
Chronosplit's Chrono Trigger hack expands the ROM to 48 Mbits ExHiROM.
Great hack by the way, it's the one I prefer. ;D

Let me guess, Canoe doesn't play 48Mb ExHiROM? lol I had a little bit of hope when I didn't get any errors loading it and it played until Chrono wakes up. I prefer this hack as well, but I'll have to find a different one that works with canoe.

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 07, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »
I seem to remember Mario RPG has some extra special bytes set in the header/footer? Maybe when you add the rom manually they are not set?

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/74htwe/call_to_solve_hires_mode/dnz8e2s/

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 07, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
Ohh, you have no idea! Exhirom is great for romhacking. Bad for people like me. :)

Chronosplit makes lots of updates?? That would make me some bit nervous about working on it.

Old wip Tales saves can break the game ... okay. That's very new for me. :o

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 07, 2018, 05:26:16 pm »
If you had a save file from the previous rom of Tales it will cause glitches in the game, had my previous save on it and the intro hung, deleted the save and it worked fine

Ah, ok.

I loaded my save, saved, and then shut down. And then restarted the game.
I thought that would be enough, will try again with zero SRAM files present.

Let me guess, Canoe doesn't play 48Mb ExHiROM? lol I had a little bit of hope when I didn't get any errors loading it and it played until Chrono wakes up. I prefer this hack as well, but I'll have to find a different one that works with canoe.

Actually, the Dragon Quest 3 translation as well as Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes are also ExHiROM, which Sluffy converted to S-DD1 and was able to get them to work on Canoe.
So it can work probably, but would require Sluffy's skills to convert the ROM.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:36 pm »
It seems the slowrom fix changes something that breaks old saves.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 07, 2018, 05:55:30 pm »
Ohh, you have no idea! Exhirom is great for romhacking. Bad for people like me. :)

Chronosplit makes lots of updates?? That would make me some bit nervous about working on it.

Old wip Tales saves can break the game ... okay. That's very new for me. :o

Chronosplit has had one major update and a few smaller ones, the last one being the end of March. I don't see him updating it again anytime in the near future, as he's accomplished all the bugfixes and additions he was after. The big update was fixing the enemies targeting AI bugs, added ending scenes, and adding back chrono's nickname with ayla, that made all older version save states incompatible with the patch. If you were to make any Chrono Trigger version of the game run on canoe other than the original 1995 release, I would say without a doubt this would be the one, and I think pimpinelephant would agree.

I'll message Chronosplit and see if he plans on updating his patch anytime soon, last thing I'd want is to waste your time with something.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 07, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »
I can confirm, it would appear that the previous SRAM file was corrupting the ROM somehow.
Battles are working correctly with the slowROM check fix applied!

Voice sample played from 0:52-0:55 still does not play on track 1 in Sound Menu though.

I will have to figure out another way to get to Demitel to see if the freeze is actually a slowROM check fix issue or not.
Will figure something out, even I have to just play through again.

With the slowROM check fix applied though, there is a slight graphical glitch that appears.
This occurs with other games too that has slowROM check fix applied, I know for a fact that this same graphical glitch appears in Seiken Densetsu 3 with slowROM check fix applied.
So it could just be a side-effect of the slowROM fix.

A flash (like a single frame) of a black horizontal pixel line appears on the top line of the screen as well as the top line of the battle menus (I'm assuming it's just the top line of any layer?). It continuously flashes this every maybe 5 seconds or so.

Comparison Pictures:
Glitch = https://i.imgur.com/Epc1dxZ.jpg
Normal = https://i.imgur.com/x2S58wx.jpg

Can't see the top of the screen black line on still shot, but in real time can be easily seen.
It's easily noticeable on the top line of the battle menus. Black space inbetween the white border and the blue background.

EDIT:

Actually, the top black pixel line can be easily seen if you switch back and forth between "Glitch" and "Normal", at least I was able to see it pretty easily, but I know what to look for. :P

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
pimpinelephant upload your ToP save I can fix it, got sluffy's save working, there is no freeze after the Demitel fight.

Sluffy's save file fixed for use with slowrom fix https://www.sendspace.com/file/p8td31
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:59:02 pm by Bosco82 »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 07, 2018, 07:22:09 pm »
Nice find with sram! That's a simple brilliant idea. Didn't think of that one.

Finally noticed that vanilla game does some probing at 00:6000-7fff. Which should be illegal under exhirom or exlorom. I think Canoe allows this as sram which blows up stuff. Will try patching this out... Valid.

Slowrom visual error is normal to me. This game uses tons of tricks to try and make everything work. I'm actually impressed by how many effects this game pulls off, considering I tripped on each and every one of them.

For CT bugfix, yes. That sounds important to get working on Canoe (et al?). I did work on Crimson Echoes so maybe I can do something similar here. So maybe it won't be that bad.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:48:50 pm by sluffy »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 07, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »
I was playing around with the Sound Menu in Tales of Phantasia (in Higan), when I noticed that the first song (intro song) is a fully voiced track! :o
I was very curious how in the world they accomplished that, so I looked it up.
I know it was in the Japanese GBA version as well, but they removed/disabled the song in the localized versions, replacing it with the overworld theme or a variation. (I wonder if they disabled the Sound Menu as well just to hide it? Can't have Japanese lyrics in an official localized game. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:54 pm »
I just made a 3 slot save file after I applied the slowrom fix and compared the 2 save files and changed out the differences, and was able to get it working.

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 07, 2018, 07:55:07 pm »
Just others tests reported on Kirby 3 : I asked my brother to do these tests with his own SNESC :
I asked him about graphical slowdown, that should be especially noticed in stage 5-6, where a lot of ennemies appear since the beginning of this level : with patched "1d" game : slowdown seem to be pretty serious if you use ID 0000 and extra-byte 07 (with and without -no-lowlatency). And no slowdown noticeable with extra-byte 0A and -no-lowlatency. He also said to me that a tiny sound distorsion was present when he came back to pop-star hub with extra-byte 07 and none with 0A. With vanilla game and preset ID A410, no slowdown at level 5-6.

So, waiting for a better sluffy's solution, the best compromise seems to be : patched game (1d) + pid oooo + extra-byte 0A (perhaps even better if he had tested 0B). Or more simple : vanilla game with pid A410 : On these 2 solutions, transparency is OK, slowdown is OK, Boss freeze is OK, and SRAM only keep by a soft reset. The only tiny difference is the flashing effect after beaten the first form of the final boss, that seem to be better rendered with the patched rom