News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 604170 times)

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #2300 on: May 06, 2018, 07:48:02 pm »
TOP_DX2L = 5D1F0AB7BC58EBF5423E23BC1EE9BFF5A070C742
Checkpoint3 = 0EB73ABEE987B050B193FACAE921DB77A45224BF

Tried cp2,cp3 in bsnes+ and no crashes on that scene. Have to do some thinking.

===1
Two new TOP patches (? + 03) (? translation)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/Ypi0CfD8gzPniQtVjliwLQ

Fixes some palette errors I missed (being my 1st complete playthrough, ofc I didn't notice some off-based colors)
cp3a = fastrom
cp3b = slowrom

Try Demitel again. slowrom may fix audio at cost of game speed.

===2
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (??) (usa, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/l5lw3n

Transparency cloud test for level 6. Game crash might be due to rom corruption (mario pid) but unsure. No apparent reason for crash.

Sram problem is annoying so far. For me, fixing transparency without relying on extra blending blur is a bonus.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:46:08 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 06, 2018, 11:59:31 pm »
Reyvgm maybe it could be helpful for people like me if you add a shet at your test document with the info of wich ones are the hi-res IDs, the sound fixing IDs, the Extra Bytes and other useful information that we find along the way.  ;)

There is. Check the comments on the "Game Title" field in my doc.

Smash Tennis = you probably could redraw gfx to 1/2 height. That game uses some large tiles so you'd lose less quality. In theory it works but redrawing is actually the not-so-easy part so far. And updating the tilemap.

In my opinion, between reducing the quality or leaving it broken, I would leave it broken. Maybe one day someone will disassemble Canoe and find a fix for the hi-res stuff. But if the hi-res stuff gets "fixed" by replacing it with low-res stuff, then people might forget it was broken in the first place.

I would rather leave it broken so that someone eventually decides to find a real fix for it.

:banghead:
I'm not sure at all but I think I feel very similar the game with -no-lowlatency and without it.

With -no-lowlatency:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvWmPA2btA

Without -no-lowlatency:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNzqTH43nBM

It could be great if someone with better skills to identify slowdowns than me could test this game...

Slowdown seems to be the about the same in SNES9X.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:10:48 am by reyvgm »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 07, 2018, 12:54:08 am »
kirby3-1d.ips = Success!

The foreground clouds on the final boss now display their correct color.

SRAM issue... I don't know. I have no clue what Mario RPG's ID does that allows it to correctly save automatically.
Other IDs require soft-reset to trigger save.
Mario RPG uses manual save too, not automatic. Very weird.

tales_0b-cp3a.bps = 838BB3BA1F157DE7E49D2FA81A32E8CEC542A304
tales_0b-cp3b.bps = 85C3529FF2FCEE89AA5EE15DB8547440891A0B0D

Both freeze up even earlier now.
Freezes in the middle of the conversation with Demitel, before even fighting.
Exact moment it freezes:
Immediately after Demitel says, "I'll tell you what really happened. Lia died with her parents."
Picture 1

Distorted sounds still persist with both.
For more information about the weird sound:
The sounds are strange, like it's only able to read partial data or something like that.
Sounds a bit similar to when you play a corrupted mp3, you can still hear the song, it's just very "glitchy" sounding.
Some sounds don't even play at all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:50:05 am by pimpinelephant »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 07, 2018, 01:11:49 am »
So is Kirby 3 completely fixed or is the last boss freeze still happen?

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 07, 2018, 01:21:08 am »
So is Kirby 3 completely fixed or is the last boss freeze still happen?

I think it depends on the Preset ID.

0000 = Everything fixed except for saves. Does not freeze.

109C = Everything fixed except for freeze. Saves correctly.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 07, 2018, 01:30:59 am »
Errm... okay. Thanks.

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 07, 2018, 01:31:16 am »
There is. Check the comments on the "Game Title" field in my doc.

Yes now I have found it but it's a bit hidden, also there is only the hi-res IDs and the Sa-1 Extra Byte values. Can you please also include the rest of Extra Bytes and the Sound Fixing IDs for people like me??  ;)

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 07, 2018, 01:48:48 am »
Yes now I have found it but it's a bit hidden, also there is only the hi-res IDs and the Sa-1 Extra Byte values. Can you please also include the rest of Extra Bytes and the Sound Fixing IDs for people like me??  ;)

Don't know where to find the rest of the extra bytes right now (it's in one of the old posts here), and I don't know all the sound fixing IDs right now. I know EC10 and EF10 (Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) are two of the ones that fix the most.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:35:32 am by reyvgm »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 07, 2018, 04:12:39 am »
Extra Bytes List
00-clean
02-DSP-1
03-SDD-1
04-Cx-4
05-DSP-2
06-07-08-09-0A-0B-SA-1
0C-Super FX

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 07, 2018, 08:25:15 am »
For kirby's dreamland 3, you can also notice that others mario RPG preset id (9D10 and 9E10) crash the game in the same way but with also SRAM issues. Can it be worth for this situation to use SFROM tool ? perhaps an issue of the hakchi unperfect sfrom conversion ? (I can't test this cause I'm not at home for few days)

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: May 07, 2018, 09:46:07 am »
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (USA) (0000 + sa1 byte, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/upczg2

Save tester
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:25:39 am by sluffy »

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 07, 2018, 11:39:44 am »
Just a curiosity. I uploaded a Mario RPG rom with a patch (pal button colors hack) and the game was overwritten the savestates every time I loaded one of them, even if I didn’t save the game previously. Then, I tried to upload a Mario RPG rom without the patch and the save issue was there still (so the patch wasn’t the problem). Even if you started a gameplay save ingame, the save was overwritten. I didn’t know if this was a ingame save or a suspended point problem. I tried different roms of the same game and the problem persisted. I used a sfrom to sfc tool converter (I wanted to apply the patch to the stock game but I first needed convert this one to sfc) and the problem was there yet. Finally, I applied the patch to the original Mario RPG game (the stock one, with sfrom extension) using the darkakuma’s sfrom tool and… surprise!! The strange savestate issue was solved and the patch worked fine. I reversed the process, using the sfrom tool to convert sfc to sfrom and the problem came back. With hakchi2? The same bad result. In summary, the saves only work properly in the original stock game of Mario RPG, while a Mario RPG rom converted to sfrom through hakchi2 or darkakuma’s sfrom tool has save issues ever. Im not a hacker, just a gamer, I comment this case if may be help you to fix other games with save issues. If you want to test it, get a Mario RPG rom and create a suspended point even before an in game save (you can do that before the first battle against Bowser). In the main menu, you’ll see the messege “If you continue from this suspended point, your game’s save data will be overwritten” again, again and again.

*By the way, any progress with games like Lufia 2, Eartworm Jim 2 or ActRaiser 2? I’m testing Lufia 2 to find some more battle graphics issues. I’ll notify you if I find them.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: May 07, 2018, 01:41:33 pm »
kirby3-1e.ips + 0000 = No change unfortunately.

Still does not save automatically like it should.

I was playing around with the Sound Menu in Tales of Phantasia (in Higan), when I noticed that the first song (intro song) is a fully voiced track! :o
I was very curious how in the world they accomplished that, so I looked it up.

I found a couple threads talking about it:
NeoGAF - How was the intro song to Tales of Phantasia for SFC made?
NesDev - SNES audio hardware info

NesDev thread is primarily focused on other things, so I'll quote the relevant comment:
Now, you can stream audio to the SPC700 by continually exercising the I/O ports during playback. Tales of Phantasia famously used this technique to stream a (muffled) vocal track during the intro song, and Star Ocean's soundtrack is undumpable (in SPC format at least) because they changed out instrument data on the fly. Hitting all four ports with HDMA, it seems to me that it might be possible to push nearly 40 kB per second depending on how busy the S-SMP is. That's enough for 32 kHz stereo BRR. And, of course, blargg has demonstrated that if you don't mind dedicating a lot of CPU time to it, you can stream uncompressed 32 kHz 16-bit stereo PCM - which there's room for about a minute of if there's no actual game hogging up the cartridge...

Relevant comment from NeoGAF:
If I remember correctly, it was a custom sound driver which divided the voice samples to really small chunks, which can be streamed from the cart without having to load them to the SPC700 memory.
The same driver was used in Star Ocean's prologue, which was full speech.
Edit: actually, I think it wasn't streaming from the cart, but the samples were so small that they could be loaded on the fly to the small SPC700 memory.

Not sure if any of that is relevant, but I thought it was pretty interesting.
Especially since the sounds that don't play at all currently, are the voice samples.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: May 07, 2018, 02:07:41 pm »
Does the messy sound with sluffy's ToP patch only happen in Canoe or also in other emulators?
At least in Star Ocean that seems to use a similiar audio technolgy everything including the voice acting runs well in Canoe (using the DarkAkuma Patch).

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: May 07, 2018, 03:11:26 pm »
Hey Sluffy the Chrono Trigger bugfix and uncensoring patch https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/ that I would like to use isn't working with Canoe. Using 0B11 in Hakchi the game runs, the opening cutscene plays, your mom asking you to wake up dialogue, then a black screen appears but no error message. I'm using the "Bugfix+SkyDark and Name Liberties" patch on an unheadered copy of CT.

Would you check to see if it's a simple fix or not? Thanks Sluffy.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: May 07, 2018, 03:12:04 pm »
The sound in ToP runs fine in Higan, Snes9x wont even load the rom so don't know there.

Mamertos - the "If you continue from this suspended point, your game’s save data will be overwritten" thing is the way Canoe works it's not a rom error, if you load a savestate from a point before you made in ingame save it will overwrite the ingame save, Canoe savestates includes its own ingame save.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:32:32 pm by Bosco82 »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: May 07, 2018, 03:31:39 pm »
Ahhh!!! I'm dumb... Like really dumb!

I should have made the connection earlier, but I just wasn't thinking.

I already knew that Star Ocean required the SlowROM fix, but for some reason, it never occurred to me to do the same with Tales of Phantasia.

I'm 100% confident this is the cause of the distorted sound, as well as the freezes.

I'm not sure if ExHiROM -> S-DD1 conversion will change the offset locations of the SlowROM checks, it probably does though.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: May 07, 2018, 03:34:15 pm »
Just a curiosity. I uploaded a Mario RPG rom with a patch (pal button colors hack) and the game was overwritten the savestates every time I loaded one of them, even if I didn’t save the game previously. Then, I tried to upload a Mario RPG rom without the patch and the save issue was there still (so the patch wasn’t the problem). Even if you started a gameplay save ingame, the save was overwritten. I didn’t know if this was a ingame save or a suspended point problem. I tried different roms of the same game and the problem persisted. I used a sfrom to sfc tool converter (I wanted to apply the patch to the stock game but I first needed convert this one to sfc) and the problem was there yet. Finally, I applied the patch to the original Mario RPG game (the stock one, with sfrom extension) using the darkakuma’s sfrom tool and… surprise!! The strange savestate issue was solved and the patch worked fine. I reversed the process, using the sfrom tool to convert sfc to sfrom and the problem came back. With hakchi2? The same bad result. In summary, the saves only work properly in the original stock game of Mario RPG, while a Mario RPG rom converted to sfrom through hakchi2 or darkakuma’s sfrom tool has save issues ever. Im not a hacker, just a gamer, I comment this case if may be help you to fix other games with save issues. If you want to test it, get a Mario RPG rom and create a suspended point even before an in game save (you can do that before the first battle against Bowser). In the main menu, you’ll see the messege “If you continue from this suspended point, your game’s save data will be overwritten” again, again and again.

*By the way, any progress with games like Lufia 2, Eartworm Jim 2 or ActRaiser 2? I’m testing Lufia 2 to find some more battle graphics issues. I’ll notify you if I find them.

If I understand you correctly the game autosaves to sram if you load a savestate?
Does this happen with all Mario RPG IDs (in hakchi 9C10, 9D10 and 9E10)
And did you apply the VC patch from here?
http://darkakuma.z-net.us/p/sfromtool.html
this might turn Super Mario RPG into the ROM that is preinstalled on the SNES mini.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: May 07, 2018, 03:40:51 pm »
I mentioned this up above but that's the way Canoe works, every game with an ingame save will get overwritten if you load a savestate.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: May 07, 2018, 03:42:55 pm »
Snes9x has bad sdd1 memory map
- 20-3f:6000-7fff = hirom sram
- a0-bf:6000-7fff = hirom sram (** vanilla game uses b0 sram **)
- 40-6d:0000-ffff = should be nothing

hdma audio. That would explain a lot actually. :|

don't understand at all why only Kirby 3 sa-1 saves die away.

last visible hidden post:
- Jim 2 = no.
- Lufia 2 = stopped working since exhirom conversions. Couldn't solve the (hdma window) blending problem yet.
- Actraiser 2 = same thing. Didn't make any progress with the slowrom thingie.
- misc game = same status

Meaning whenever. Maybe never.

Top slowrom. I thought I got all of them .. but maybe not. Check again.

Star Ocean needs slowrom? Yeoch.