News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 603332 times)

arkiokin

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #2040 on: April 28, 2018, 08:26:22 pm »

Have KDL3 in shop. Think I know what's wrong (possibly). Do that now.

=1
Kirby's Dream Land 3 (USA) (109c, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/o7y3uy

2-5 underwater wand fix. Turn on blending for that special effect. Unsure about Stage 2 boss since not sure how to trigger.

Now 1c. Safety valve added to 1b.

I tested it (and before that, the 1b too), and the wand issue is now fixed ! :) thanks sluffy ! (in fact there was also another issue a bit further in level 2-5, where kirby was freezed against the stream, even I was not sure it was a real issue, cause it was possible to unfreeze it by quick right-left moves, but now this one is fixed too)

And thanks reyvgm for the save with everything open, but I actually can't use it. I have the same problem when I had before to transfer the sram of the patched game to the vanilla game to do comparisons of the wand effect : only create a save point then modifying the clvs file could, after that, recover a sram on the new patched game. Cause, only transfer sram files by changing the name of the folder inside the compressed file did not lead me to anything (so a virgin game with no sram inside). Perhaps something related to the original sram issue with this game or something else I do it incorrectly (I spent a lot of time trying many things for that works), but for the moment I can not test further unless someone could provide a clvs file with the entire game finished or simply the world 2 with not all the stars found and a save state point inside this clvs file. Otherwise, I will try to restart on speedrun way to reach again the boss of level 2.
Unfortunately, I could not do it right now, sorry  :-[

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 28, 2018, 08:52:10 pm »
KDL3 happened on snes9x also, so both win. Do you remember what triggered boss2 to do transparency error?

(and btw, thanks for playing these games entirely through - Soul Blazer, Dream Land 3. hopefully no other hidden bugs pop up)

Marvelous - Mouhitotsu no Takara-jima (Japan) (1.06 translation)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/aw9o19
=== rankings screen bugfix, use on top of patched English DackR 1.06 game

It was a ptr error. Reverted back to original Japan ptr and tilemap shows up correctly. No idea why it got changed.

BS Zelda: Third Quest (109c)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/urgp2l

Game over save fixed. Died in 1 emu and copied to other emu. As for sa-1 slowrom, trying opposite idea. Let it run in sa-1 ram forever. Maybe prevent stealing snes cpu cycles.

Getting custom sa-1 to work correctly is important for Dungeon Master to proceed later.

Thanks for checking up so much on this one. Hopefully it becomes stable now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:16:57 pm by sluffy »

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 28, 2018, 09:39:54 pm »
KDL3 happened on snes9x also, so both win. Do you remember what triggered boss2 to do transparency error?

(and btw, thanks for playing these games entirely through - Soul Blazer, Dream Land 3. hopefully no other hidden bugs pop up)

I finally said myself I was going to take the time to do this speedrun until the level 2 orc boss : so here it is after 1/2 hour of playing, I reached it, and also made comparison with old patched rom. I now quickly (at least) noticed that : on old patched rom, after defeated the boss, there was 2 one-frame flickering (blue screen/no transparency) when kirby make his victory dance. It's totally fixed by your new patch !! :) (made 2 battles to be sure to not avoid any other glitter)

Ok, I will now continue to play the game until end (this time really in a bit further future), and I will report if something wrong happen again (but I'm now rather optimistic ;) )

And Thank you again for your work. Glad to see it also helps with snes9x

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 28, 2018, 10:07:13 pm »
Sluffy I tried your audio patch for Clocktower in canoe leaving the PID 0000 and the audio is behaving the same way and staying completely muted until there is sound fx.  The footstep sound that plays when navigating the main menu is such a quick sound that the sound system can't turn on fast enough and misses almost the entire sound, same goes for footstep sound fx while playing the game, they get cut out bad.

Is there anyway to make it so that the games audio doesn't output a mute signal to the sound system by default? This is the only snes rom that I've had this cut out problem with out of 120 games, and unfortunately it's also one of the best sounding snes games to play in the dark, hearing those scissors snipping sound coming from the left channels, so it'd be awesome if it played through the sound system without cut out.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 28, 2018, 11:17:18 pm »
Terminator, The (USA) (0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jpl8ak

Try clearing irq flag

===1
I remember some hirom games running code off 80-BF. From working on BS Zelda, noticed it uses all C0-FF hirom range.
-- DQ3 uses C0-FF. Plus runs code off 40-5F.
-- CT:CE uses C0-FF. And only reads data off 40-5F.

(Don't hold your breath until your face turns blue though. Maybe. Just maybe they can get started. At least CT:CE looks better chance of moving. But lorom boot code is an obstacle)

Going to see if Canoe can handle 6-8MB sa1 roms. Or maybe 8mb sdd1 roms.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:47:01 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 29, 2018, 12:58:47 am »

Going to see if Canoe can handle 6-8MB sa1 roms. Or maybe 8mb sdd1 roms.

Holds breath!

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 29, 2018, 02:39:10 am »

BS Zelda Third Quest 2e patch:
The saving now also works correctly when saving from the continue screen. Normal saving and
events also work. Slowdowns are still like they used to be.
I tried to look if it is a PID issue. I looked in DarkAkumas list if there is a SA-1 fastrom game with an official PID but such a thing seemingly doesn't exist. (No clue if this would've helped)

Or could it be something completely else and have something to do with this games special events as in the old slowdown-less patch these events never showed up for me? (might put some load on the virtual system or whatever?)

But good if all this BS Zelda testing now might also lead to fixes for other games. Then it's really worth it.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:23 am »
BS Zelda: Third Quest (0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c8n2px

Converted back to normal hirom. Taking a gamble with 32kb save and allowing 3 saves. Old saves should work.

I think fastrom will kick in again = no slowdown. Which would mean trouble for any fastrom sa-1 conversions.

===1
Okay, I see teahouser's new post. I'll give it a look. Have to imagine a new solution for this unique problem.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:53:59 am by sluffy »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 29, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »
The credits in the translated version show up just fine in SNES9X. The problem is the guy used normal res credits when he translated the game, and I assume that is breaking in certain emulators.

Ah! That explains a lot! :D
I was wondering why Tashi/DackR didn't translate that part, turns out they did! :laugh:

marvelous_ati_en_v106_credits_fix.ips + Translated Marvelous = Success!
The ending credits now display correctly on both Higan and on Canoe!

Thank you so much Sluffy for fixing the translation patch! You definitely did not need to do this, but it is definitely very much appreciated! Amazing work as always! :thumbsup:

Sluffy, will you be uploading this fix to Romhacking.net as an addendum to DackR's translation? For those who would like to play on a non-Snes9x emulator?

term1.ips = No change unfortunately.
After about 10 or so minutes of playing, the sound completely shut off (no music, no sfx, nothing).

bszelda_3rd_2e.bps = Can confirm, plays perfectly.
I tried to add -no-lowlatency to see if it helped with the slowdown at all. Nope, it did absolutely nothing. Exactly the same.
Confirms that slowdown is definitely ROM related, not Canoe related. It honestly really isn't even all that bad though, feels exactly like I was actually playing it on the NES! :laugh:

Definitely not just playable but also enjoyable in its current state.
But like CanoeFan said, will always be happy to test anything you come up with.

CDI Demo + 0000 = Only text, no "CDI" background.
Turns out, Canoe is able to run 256KB ROMs as well as even 128KB!
I will update my download link to contain a 128KB patch.
I thought I remembered seeing something about this earlier in the thread, and yes, Robin64 had already tested ROM size compatibility with Canoe.

Kirby 3 Canoe SRAM files:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/anycv8

This is the file that reyvgm provided. I changed the SHA-1 hash values to work with the Super Mario RPG Preset ID.
It should work now, at least it worked for me when I imported them into my Classic.
Don't think it really matters too much anymore though, since it appears that all known issues are fixed now. Just in case anyone needs I guess.

Side note: Seriously, thank you reyvgm for always providing save files! It helps testers out SO MUCH with the amount of time it saves. Thank you! :thumbsup:

So, what's the best way to play Marvelous then? With ID 0000 and 0B byte or how?

I would say to just use the official Preset ID of 111E. It provides extremely smooth gameplay with minimal sound slowdown (still noticeable though).
I would guess that 111E sets the Extra Bytes value to probably 09 or 0A.

I think it would be possible to completely eliminate the sound slowdown by using a lower Extra Bytes SA-1 value, but in doing so, it would require the use of Preset ID 1016 which I believe would increase the gamma.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:45:38 pm by pimpinelephant »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 29, 2018, 12:12:23 pm »
BS Zelda: Third Quest (0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c8n2px

Converted back to normal hirom. Taking a gamble with 32kb save and allowing 3 saves. Old saves should work.

I think fastrom will kick in again = no slowdown. Which would mean trouble for any fastrom sa-1 conversions.

===1
Okay, I see teahouser's new post. I'll give it a look. Have to imagine a new solution for this unique problem.

Bs Zelda Third Quest 3a patch:

You are right. The slowdowns are gone. I tested all three save files and all three seem to work correctly. Ingame saving and Game Over saving works. I played the first 2 dungeons on the third save file and the corresponding events did show up correctly. So right now it looks like everytging is good with this one. Should I check for anything specific that could be caused by the smaller sram?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:58 pm »
Only problem with smaller sram is there's a 0-100% chance something may not save / load correctly later. Like Dungeon 8 or 9. But I completely have no idea as upper sram may not be needed at all.

But that does mean Canoe refuses to respect 420d fastrom setting for sa-1 games. Only thing that is different between sa-1 vs hirom. Agh.

Also explains why Jurassic Park sa-1 did its flashing behavior (tested on slowrom setting).

If slowrom is eventually only way to fix something, I'll let it be that.

marvelous_ati_en_v106_credits_fix
- For now, I may let someone else do it. Don't feel like uploading submitting stuff to site right now (although I eventually should!). It works and I think is good addendum - nothing to add.

Terminator. Thing about this game is that it looks completely 100% safe transferring data. Like bug is fully on audio chip side. Might need an out-of-the-way sound pid to work this (like Pilotwings pid).

Want to try this also though
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6vtupz

Going to wait on 3rd quest before doing 4th quest. And starting up s-dd1 testing. All this sa-1 testing definitely helped understand what it can/not do. And I'm more comfortable reaching into this new area now.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 29, 2018, 01:46:43 pm »
term1a.ips + 0000 = Success!
The sound no longer shuts off!

I played for about 20 or so minutes trying my best to stress the game as much as possible. I was spamming Shoot, Jump, and running through everything ASAP (trying to get as many things on screen as possible, as well as make as much sound as possible).

The sound continued to work correctly, shooting sound, jumping sound, music, everything was still playing normally.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 29, 2018, 02:21:25 pm »
Explanation:
Audio engine has a manual crude timer that "resets" channels. Usually pretty quickly but slow enough. When set faster, it chops lots of stuff.

With Canoe, could be similar (runs faster). So set timer to go slower and I guess another (lucky) win here.

===1
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes (sdd1 pid, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/2w2c18

Works in snes9x 1.55. Which has loadstate bug. Told emu authors need to add something about unfreeze:
S9xSetPCBase (Registers.PBPC)

===2
BS Zelda no Densetsu (MottZilla 0.95 hack) is marked with issues. Must've missed this report. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:57:29 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: April 29, 2018, 06:07:40 pm »

===2
BS Zelda no Densetsu (MottZilla 0.95 hack) is marked with issues. Must've missed this report. :)

I thought all the BS Zeldas had the event issues?

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 29, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »
Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes - Game black screens right when Chrono is supposed to wake up

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: April 29, 2018, 06:35:58 pm »
I've played through Third Quest (3a patch) now completely, just have beaten Ganon. I tried saving and loading often during the playthrough to see if something is wrong, but I didn't run into any saving issues. Everything was recorded correctly. So might be good?

EDIT: I think no one actually tested this Mottzilla BS Zelda yet if everything works correctly there. Only Third/ Fourth Quest were verified to have these issues.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 29, 2018, 06:52:16 pm »
Haven't played the second dungeon yet but the heart container in the Motzilla version is time related like the original version and works fine

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 29, 2018, 07:13:58 pm »
Tried MottZilla with time cheat hack (7fffff) and got through all 4 weeks plus bad ending. Think it's okay.

3rd quest (3a) sounds good to me! Thanks for speedrunning this.

Crimson Echoes: which pid was used? Or 0000 + sdd1 chip byte? Wondering if it's pid corruption or something else.

But that means Canoe did do something! More than I was hoping.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 29, 2018, 07:21:39 pm »
Tried pretty much anything I could think of for Crimson Echoes and every time it hangs at the same place, Pid 123F which Dark Akuma uses for Star Ocean, 1068 with Extra Byte 03 etc

BS Zelda Motzilla - passed second dungeon, went on to second day, bought blue candle, everything seems to work fine
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:29:55 pm by Bosco82 »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 29, 2018, 07:47:43 pm »
Forgot to test Echoes in bsnes+. Hangs Crono waking up cutscene. That .. could mean Canoe is not using snes9x sdd1 memmap (40+ hirom). Borked.

===1
BS Zelda 3rd, 4th (0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/ehJI%2BfQJd5aVKvwOzB1StA

3rd = no change. now ips format. don't need bps for hirom.
4th = 3a hirom version. tested 2 dungeons in snes9x and timer, save okay.

Finally done with BS Zelda.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:44:29 pm by sluffy »