News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 604145 times)

CanoeFan

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #1980 on: April 26, 2018, 08:26:05 am »
I now tested the other menus in SoM and they also are fixed by the patch.
Same for the other patch for the european English Rev 1.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:08 pm »
Thanks sluffy for patching all these games to be able to run correctly with canoe!

I've noticed something with the audio in Clocktower when played with canoe, it will constantly cut the audio signal off and on with each sound fx played, so you don't end up hearing half of it, such as the sound of her footsteps when there is no music playing in the background. Is this anything that could be fixed?

Are you using Sluffy's Snes9x 1.51 patch from HERE, or are you using Clock Tower's official Preset ID (10F7/F710)?

Keep in mind, that patch is for Snes9x and was never tested with Canoe (since the game already had its own Preset ID that fixed the sound issues).

I remember playing this game months ago with its official Preset ID and no patch, and the game played perfectly from what I remember.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 26, 2018, 03:58:11 pm »
Thanks!

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 26, 2018, 05:49:46 pm »
Are you using Sluffy's Snes9x 1.51 patch from HERE, or are you using Clock Tower's official Preset ID (10F7/F710)?

Keep in mind, that patch is for Snes9x and was never tested with Canoe (since the game already had its own Preset ID that fixed the sound issues).

I remember playing this game months ago with its official Preset ID and no patch, and the game played perfectly from what I remember.

I'm just using the official preset ID, no patch. There is no problem with the audio itself, just the way its being output. Instead of sending a constant signal to my sound system, it only sends a signal when there is a sound fx or background music. So when there's the music playing constantly, there are no issues it stays connected, but if its silent the audio will only connect when a sound is played then immediately disconnect. During this disconnect if a new sound happens it is cut out and cant be heard. This only seems to be a problem with optical connection, if I go through the TV speakers its fine.  I'm just wondering if there's somehow a way to see how the game is outputting its audio signal differently from other roms, and if its possible to modify it so its constantly sending an audio out signal allowing it to stay connected to the sound system like other games.

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 26, 2018, 07:03:47 pm »
Good blessed health to her. :comfort:

Personally I know how exhausting it is. Especially when you're not taking care of your self during that period.

We have testers and there's no urgency for anyone here. Get done what we can. And test patches come out slower due to less to work on (and difficulty). 1 new game a week is success. No worries as long as we stay healthy.
Well said! Here's to the next 100 pages  :woot!:

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 27, 2018, 01:46:49 am »
reyvgm: Saw you asked for FDS games on Kachikachi in another Forum. They work fine, like nes games. Kachikachi even has a bunch of command lines spcecifically didicated to the fds. I'd suggest using this one "--fds-auto-disk-side-switch-on-keypress" otherwise it will switch Disk sides autmatically and skip some cutscenes because of that. Happened to me in Doki Doki Panic.
You can look at this compatibility list for further help:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QTRTPODrhE5X55EciFsiQZaa-xVGlSD73Rt26Nd2rk0/edit#gid=0 

Sorry for slight offtopic.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 27, 2018, 01:55:19 am »
Ah, thanks for the info! Good to know since there are a couple of FDS games I would like to have included once I get my NESC.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: April 27, 2018, 08:08:52 am »
BS Zelda: Third Quest (0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9kuqzy

sa-1 chip. sram saves compatible with hirom version - toss old canoe saves. check for weekly timer events:
- week 2 = blue candle shop
- ???

Clock Tower. Yeah, let me look harder. I understand what the issue is now.
(hoping there's no more deeply buried posts to look for)

===1
What happens if you try (snes9x) CT patch with 0000 pid? Should be safe for Canoe.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:29:14 am by sluffy »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:54 am »
Why does Clock Tower need a patch? I think it runs fine with ist official PID.

I can't add the patched Third Quest to hakchi. Hakchi says ROM seems corrupted ans won't add it. I patched the game with Floating IPS.
I try now if sfromtool will make a working sfrom out of it.

EDIT: Good with sfrom tool it now works. Because it is an SA-1 game it doesn't boot with 0000. It runs with Mario RPG ID 109C. Should I use 0000 with an extra Byte instead?

EDIT2: Ok first Problem: When I create my Name file for the first savestate, there are 2 savefiles created. My name shows up at the second save file. The first one is has no name. Only the first one has hearts displayed however and works to Play. The second one starts but the game softlocks after entering the cave.

EDIT1: I'm now playing on the first save file and look if stuff like the blue candle will Show up.

EDIT2: Finished first 2 dungeons. All Events showed up correctly so far (heart Container on beach, blue candle). So the previous issue seems to be fixed. The game is affected by heavy slowdown however, when lots of enemies are on scree. (This wasn't with the older patch). Will now try if -no-lowlatency fixes this.

EDIT3: -no-lowlatency doesn't seem to help here.

So issues found so far are: Save file creation bug and slowdowns during gameplay. (the slowdowns only affect gameplay, the Music is not affected)

EDIT4: The third save file works correctly. No bug on creation.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:25:01 am by CanoeFan »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 27, 2018, 09:27:26 am »
Keep forgetting about those special chip pids. Mario pid should be good. :)
=== Now my game won't boot. Recreating patched game again. ^^

Clock Tower: teahouser says that official pid has an audio problem with optical audio systems. Because the game volume is often muted, it has a delay turning back on the speakers which cuts off some audio. On normal TV systems, this doesn't happen.

I didn't see anything different from other games. So asking teahouser to use alternate sound patch with 0000 pid to see if problem goes away.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:32:53 am by sluffy »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 27, 2018, 09:33:15 am »
My prepatch and postpatch SHA1 according to sfromtool are those two you posted.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 27, 2018, 09:39:11 am »
Something messed up and I can't get back my working sa-1 rom. Redoing compile chain.

===1
BS Zelda: Third Quest (109c, clean, no header)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/q6qfkf

Works now but don't know why. Emus getting confused about sa-1 vs hirom or something.

Could also try 0000 with fast sa-1 byte if slowdown continues.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:58:21 am by sluffy »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 27, 2018, 09:59:01 am »
With the new patch it works correctly. Hakchi lets me add it normally. No Save file creation bug any more.

EDIT: Only issue that seems to be left than are the slowdowns. Might this be related to the SA-1?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:05:23 am by CanoeFan »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 27, 2018, 10:22:55 am »
I think it is. Let me study up a bit on sa-1 shutdowns.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:43 am »
I think it is. Let me study up a bit on sa-1 shutdowns.

I tried the different SA-1 extra Bytes in combination with ID 0000 to see if one of them gets rid of the slowdowns, but that doesn't help.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: April 27, 2018, 11:30:25 am »
Should safely shutdown sa-1. 109c.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkj2ky

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 27, 2018, 11:46:56 am »
Should safely shutdown sa-1. 109c.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkj2ky

Game works but the slowdowns are still there. So it must be something else. Or perhaps it's normal and should be like that? It's just weird because with your old patch where the Events didn't work these slowdowns didn't happen like that.

EDIT: There is actually a readme in the thirdquest Folder that addresses speed Problems and a cfg file for ZSNES to use. I think this might have something to do with this issue.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:50:28 pm by CanoeFan »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: April 27, 2018, 02:30:51 pm »
Can someone test Marvelous please? I know it seems like a lot of steps, but it's actually quite short.

Please use the original Japanese version, and use ID 1E11 (Hakchi).

Canoe Save
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ic4jvn

Emu save
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8pignh

Pick 2nd save.
Press Y to gather the 3 characters together and enter the door above. Place one character in a switch, use R to pick another character and place each on a switch.
When asked who will stay, select 1st one (Deon). Press Y to gather characters and exit room.

Once you drop down, press R to leave behind the fat kid and stay with the thin one (he walks faster). Press switch below, leave room.
Once outside, go down, then left, then up. On the 2nd screen you'll see a hole with some stairs. Use it.

Once inside, take stairs on the right.
Follow the path and you'll see the character that stayed behind. Press Y to gather him. Leave this area the same way you came.
Once outside, go down to the next screen, then right, then up to go back inside the temple where you left the fat kid.

Once inside, you'll see to the right two levers on each side. Press R to move the thin and small kid to the right lever, and place the fat kid on the left one. Press A and once they stop taking, select the second box on the right (Teamwork).
Once they get into position, HOLD A for the thin/small kid to pull the lever, once they do, release A. Repeat until the bar is filled.
Once that's done, press Y to gather the characters and get in the balloon on top.
You'll have to press A rapidly now because some critters are going to be pulling you down.

Make a video of the credits (not the ending, that one is fine).

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 27, 2018, 02:53:17 pm »
bs zelda: can you describe how to get to one of these crowded rooms? I'm somewhat curious about this slowdown. Since broken patch used faster timer code (small) and working one takes a few dozen cycles longer (big).

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: April 27, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »
bs zelda: can you describe how to get to one of these crowded rooms? I'm somewhat curious about this slowdown. Since broken patch used faster timer code (small) and working one takes a few dozen cycles longer (big).

If you go two screens to the left from the starting screen should be a really bad one. There are multiple screens in the area you can reach at the beginning of the game but I'm away right know and can't look for a detailed description how to reach them but another bad one is the one where you can cross the water only when you already have the blue candle to burn the bushes. Another one is the top left screen reachable without the candle. This one is directly at the water and has many of the fyling rotating enemies. In the first dungeon a room with lots of snakes.
Or the screen where the entrance to Level 2 is (single rock). There are really a lot of screens that have enough enemies to trigger slowdown.

EDIT: And I think some of the really crowded rooms might have triggered slight slowdowns even with the old patch, but that was a lot less severe and barely noticable.