News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 64160 times)

etiel

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #600 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:40 pm »
But with the patch, the game now correctly displays the menus as well as displays the correct gamma. I would consider this a success, awesome job Sluffy!

I agree with you that it is a success; however, this is the correct gamma:

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 16, 2018, 02:28:09 pm »
Don't be fooled my camera's auto-brightness! :P I apologize for not mentioning that in my previous post.

Preset ID 1101 displays the correct gamma and the picture on the left is ID 1101. I personally don't see any difference between the two, but maybe I'm just blind.

EDIT:

SD Gundam G-Next:

109C = Game is "playable" but graphics are garbled in certain parts of the game.
109F = Immediate C7 error.
111E = Immediate C7 error.
10A4 = Same as 109C except hangs on black screen right before entering gameplay. Slowdown everywhere. No slowdown with 109C.

Here's the interesting part though. There are three options in the main menu, Scenario, Campaign, and ConfigMap.

Scenario has garbled graphics for the map selection:
Scenario Map Selection Picture

Scenario has garbled graphics when entering gameplay:
Scenario Gameplay Picture

ConfigMap also has garbled graphics for the map selection:
ConfigMap Map Selection Picture

Campaign, on the other hand, appears to be working perfectly!
I was able to get into the match and everything displayed and worked correctly. I made my moves and then ended my turn, then the AI did their moves, and still everything appeared to be working perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:30:14 pm by pimpinelephant »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 16, 2018, 02:41:05 pm »
The problem with pid 1101 is that it does not display the hi-res text correctly. Only pid 1016 fixes the text, but unfortunately changes the gamma.

Edit 1: I see what you mean, my point is that with either 1101 or 1016 AND the patch, the gamma is different when compared to original hardware.

Edit 2: Let me test it again, maybe I'm missing something here.

Edit 3: Turns out you're absolutely right, had to switch monitors and double check pids and patches in all roms.

RESULTS:
- Patch 1-1 with preset ID 1610 displays the correct gamma in text boxes.
- Menus are still missing the gradient.
- Gammas are slightly different depending on the location (top or bottom) of the text box. But this is normal behavior. Or maybe it's just me?
- Most cameras don't capture the correct brightness.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:33:59 pm by etiel »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 16, 2018, 03:47:17 pm »
The problem with pid 1101 is that it does not display the hi-res text correctly. Only pid 1016 fixes the text, but unfortunately changes the gamma.

Edit 1: I see what you mean, my point is that with either 1101 or 1016 AND the patch, the gamma is different when compared to original hardware.

Edit 2: Let me test it again, maybe I'm missing something here.

Edit 3: Turns out you're absolutely right, had to switch monitors and double check pids and patches in all roms.

RESULTS:
- Patch 1-1 with preset ID 1610 displays the correct gamma in text boxes.
- Menus are still missing the gradient.
- Gammas are slightly different depending on the location (top or bottom) of the text box. But this is normal behavior. Or maybe it's just me?
- Most cameras don't capture the correct brightness.

The best way to capture the gamma differences is just to compare it to a text box using ID 0000. That should give you the correct gamma, and as long as the same camera and lighting conditions are used to take a pic of a text box using ID 1016, then the difference should be noticeable if there are any.

It's great that sluffy was able to fix a big part of the problem, but people should now be testing if the gamma changes with text boxes outside and inside buildings (just like Seiken 3).
I notice that in an emulator, if you remove all the layers while in a menu, all that's left is that 'color/brightness' gradient effect. So it's not even a layer you can turn on/off.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 16, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »
Did a Rudra Test 1-1 with 1016:

The Gamma fix in text boxes does not apply to the battle menu. The boxes in battles that say the name of a attack when it's performed are affected by the Gamma fix, same for the boxes that say how much Money and experience you earned. But the actual battle menu box where you select your moves is still far brighter.
Edit: I used a english translated Rom, don't know if it also is like that in a japanese one. But the gamma differences in the different boxes is quite noticable.
Edit 2: Every other textboxes outside of battle seem to have fixed Gamma. Indoor and outdoor makes no difference.
Edit 3: Just for those who are intereseted in this. The Seiken Densetsu 3 Gamma fix works with the german translation.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:12:46 pm by CanoeFan »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
In Rudra yes the battle menu is the only thing that the gamma is wrong for, and the gradient is in the menus just its the same one shown in the text boxes, so its not 100% correct.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:33:48 pm by Bosco82 »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 16, 2018, 06:04:05 pm »
I'd just like to mention that you should be using hakchi's "Take Screenshot" function to, well, take screenshots. You'll get the SNES Mini graphics buffer that way, and every color will be perfect etc.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:48 pm »
American Tail test4 (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nwkdxw

To satisfy another test, anyone try Drift King (Japan, 10BA pid, no patch)? Could be sound issue causing mph throttle.

===1
Docs sheet.

Remove orange. Pid test no longer needed.
-Battle Racers
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Super S: Fuwafuwa Panic 2
-Exhaust Heat II F-1 Driver no Kiseki
-Gekisou Sentai Carranger: Zenkai! Racer-senshi!
-Momotarou Dentetsu Happy

California Games II = was this tested using PAL to NTSC patch? Info seems vague.

Mickey's Playtown Adventure - Day of Discovery (Prototype) = I think this is missing logo #2 with 1068 pid? Logo after hi-tech. Before legal screen.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:08:36 pm by sluffy »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2018, 08:16:33 pm »
American Tail test4 (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nwkdxw

To satisfy another test, anyone try Drift King (Japan, 10BA pid, no patch)? Could be sound issue causing mph throttle.

American Tail with test4: Black screen. Did not show "Licensed by Nintendo" screen.
Drift King - Shutokou Battle '94 (pid 10BA): Same issue
- Automatic transmission: 69 km/h
- Manual transmission: 130 km/h
Drift King - Shutokou Battle 2 (pid 10BA): Same issue. Auto or Manual T. does not exceed 57 km/h

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2018, 08:33:47 pm »
Sunset Riders (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6fnz0x

Should fix stage4 random garbage after bombs. H-dma conflict with scroll registers - wait h-blank.

===1
American Tail (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom) - test4a follow-up (check dodgy Canoe behavior)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/x7jaw7

Am I reading that right? Automatic vs Manual on Drift King1 has different upper limits?

===2
Rendering Ranger patch should work with Targa (E). Needs verify with 0000 pid. Greatly assuming does not need PAL to NTSC patch.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:18:38 pm by sluffy »

RandPC

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »
Just tried California Games 2, loaded and played fine using NTSC rom. Probably an erronous report from someone using a bad rom.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 16, 2018, 09:09:09 pm »
Am I reading that right? Automatic vs Manual on Drift King1 has different upper limits?

Yes, only on Drift King '94, still far from top speed. Manual is 3rd gear max I think. You can still change gears but it won't go over 130 km/h.

March 16, 2018, 09:10:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Sunset Riders (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6fnz0x

Should fix stage4 random garbage after bombs. H-dma conflict with scroll registers - wait h-blank.

===1
American Tail (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom) - test4a follow-up (check dodgy Canoe behavior)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/x7jaw7

===2
Rendering Ranger patch should work with Targa (E). Needs verify with 0000 pid. Greatly assuming does not need PAL to NTSC patch.

- American Tail now works! I just tested it for 5 min, even tried the soft reset. Everything looks fine.
- Sunset Riders: Glitch is also fixed!

- Targa with AIO patch crashes with a C8 error. It does not boot on snes9x either. More testing needed.

Edit 1: I have a Targa rom that works on snes9x that was patched with one of sluffy's patches. Is there a tool to check which patch was applied?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:05:06 pm by etiel »

RandPC

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:39 pm »
PAL rom using PAL to NTSC patch also loads fine. Don't think it's worth testing PAL rom without NTSC patch as SNES Mini isn't intended to run those. Can probably remove this from document. I don't think there is anything wrong with this game.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2018, 09:53:15 pm »
I know Targa worked earlier. But didn't check last 2 patches. Will do that. :oops:

American Tail has 2 problems:
- spu handshake sync error (supposed to read f5-f7, then flag f4)

- mystery rogue irq firing sometime after boot

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2018, 10:06:31 pm »
I know Targa worked earlier. But didn't check last 2 patches. Will do that. :oops:

American Tail has 2 problems:
- spu handshake sync error (supposed to read f5-f7, then flag f4)

- mystery rogue irq firing sometime after boot

Yeah, this Targa rom I mentioned works in Canoe too, but it's missing the soft reset fix, so it's an old patch. Anyway, last patch does not work.

Tail: you mean there are still issues? anything to look for?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 16, 2018, 10:12:32 pm »
That rogue irq ... I need to know what Canoe is doing around boot time; could affect few other non-booters. Disabled all irqs (which might disable special effects). Have to devise some more tests. Tail works but isn't final yet, but we're close.

Will look at Targa somebit later. Rewriting Untouchables (looks like only Ocean logo is affected from rom scan).

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:25 pm »
The soft reset patch for Rendering Ranger works just fine for TARGA, my rom is patched for NTSC and I stripped the overdump down to the correct size rom.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:35 pm »
Demi tests:

Space Football: One on One
Tested 0000 and 1068. Game black screens after pressing start on title.

Marko's Magic Football
After the "Domark" splash screen, game crashes (music is stuck repeating). No C7 error. LoROM to NTSC patch by EvilGames.
Tested PID 0000 and 1068

March 16, 2018, 11:55:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just tried California Games 2, loaded and played fine using NTSC rom. Probably an erronous report from someone using a bad rom.

Thanks. The community doc has it as an Euro title, but the game wasn't even released in Europe. Will remove from list.

I'm also removing from the list Euro Football Champ. The report says the screen overlaps the border, but that just happens if the game is not patched to NTSC. Demi tried the patched game and it looks and works fine.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:48:54 am by reyvgm »

Musgy

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2018, 11:06:46 pm »
I played some more Winter Gold and looked around and, sure enough, the game has timing issues on the events while playing in Canoe. What it means is that the AI's gonna be more difficult than it should be and always gonna have faster times than you. I'm honestly at a loss of how would that get a fix. This might come late since I gotta wait for a mod to approve this post.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 17, 2018, 04:05:54 am »
Demi tests:

Cannon Fodder
Problem: Helicopter is missing from mission intro. LoROM to NTSC patch from EvilGames.

How it should look:
https://youtu.be/-fSnXOT51T4?t=33

Bubsy 1
Bubsy 2
Problem:
-Music issues
-Bad framerate not present on real hardware, music speed seems tied to Bubsy's movement speed.

Demi tested the games on canoe, several PC emus and saw youtube videos and saw nothing strange about bad framerate. Game has been removed from the list. Maybe whoever reported that was playing the Euro version.

Blues Brothers
Problem: Music speed is all over the place.

There no issue. The music speeds up when you pick up a certain item but it seems to be intentional. Game has been removed from the list.

Battle Pinball
Problem: Issue is in the "underwater table", when a game session ends (game over) the screen becomes black and the ranking table screen doesn't appear (the music still plays in the background). Tested with ID 0000 and 1068.