News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 264354 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2018, 05:42:02 pm »
Seiken Densetsu 3

I think I figured out the pattern as to where the text boxes are normal and where they are bright: When you are outside a building, for example, a town, the text box color will be fine. But when you are inside a building  (house, castle, cave, etc.), the text box color will be wrong.

See video for example how outside color is fine, but inside it's too bright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xogsv7ndzfs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:57:10 pm by reyvgm »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:28 pm »
Hello, Seiken Densetsu 3 does the following with Preset ID 1016.
In Angela's starting area when you are inside the Castle, you get higher gamma in textboxes an Menus. When you are outside there is correct Gamma in text boxes and menus. (and slowdown in menus even with -no-lowlatency) This is on a Stock Rom. No sluffy patch. I have no Access right now to my Snes Mini to test the patch. Wanted just tell there is a pattern.

I also tested some other stuff.

Kirby save fix:
tested it on headered and unheadered Rom with IDS 0000 10A2 and 10A4

unHeadered:
0000 gives C7 Error
10A2: Black Screen. When hitting reset C7
10A4: Black Screen no C7. Hitting reset lets you make an Emulator save.

headered.
0000: C7
10A2: Game works Sram does not (so nothing different)
10A4: Game works Sram saves only when doing ingame reset (Start select R L) so nothing different.

Played also through Rendering Ranger R2 completely. But not with the newest Overscan patch. Did not see anything wrong regardless. (i have no clue whats supposed to be wrong in Level 7 I think the Screen background flashed black for a millisecond once,or something like that. Will probably Play it again when i have time with the new patch.

Tested the new Illusion of Gaia/Time european Version patch on German Rom. And i didn't see any issues. Black bar in menu is correct. No disappearing Textboxes where old Version of the patch made them diappear. But didn't Play through the whole game.
Patch should probably be added to spreadsheet to not get lost in the thread. Same for European Version of Mystic Quest Legen flickering line patch, which also works on German Version.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:09:32 pm by CanoeFan »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »
Haha, what an oddity. Lines up with what I've seen too.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2018, 06:04:07 pm »
Haha, what an oddity. Lines up with what I've seen too.

When you're able, can you test Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special? I can't seem to be able to add the game with hakchi2.

When adding the game to Hakchi, the program says it's an incorrect game (it's from No-Intro). If I add a header to it, I can add it to hakchi, but then the SNESC won't play it. All you need to test if you successfully add it is sound stuff. With a vanilla game check if the sound/music is wrong/muted, then try the patched one and see how it compares.

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2018, 06:21:49 pm »
Sound was playing, there was music, seemed okay, but this was an issue.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 13, 2018, 06:30:05 pm »
Sound was playing, there was music, seemed okay, but this was an issue.

Hi-res issues again. Maybe one of those IDs can fix it?

*edit*
Super Fire Pro Special and Super Fire Pro Wrestling Queen's Special both have hi-res menu issues, so they are all broken too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:37:01 pm by reyvgm »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2018, 06:32:04 pm »
The usual 1016 makes it display in hi-res, but doesn't change the size of the screen, so it still looks like that. Just sharper and brigher.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2018, 06:33:29 pm »
The usual 1016 makes it display in hi-res, but doesn't change the size of the screen, so it still looks like that. Just sharper and brigher.

Ok so you tested Fire Pro Special with ID 1016 and Patch and the menu appears like that?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:41:44 pm by reyvgm »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 13, 2018, 06:41:24 pm »
Super Fire Pro Special with 0000 and no patch is as above, and sometimes the sound goes funny in that it stops and sticks on one note.

With the patch I didn't experience that audio problem.

But both with and without the patch, that screen is the same. Here's the 1016 version.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
Oh god damn it!!!!!!! I had enabled something that displayed all SNES games on Higan on half resolution!!! Fuck. Now I have to retest every game I said was hi-res!

Super Fire Pro Special with 0000 and no patch is as above, and sometimes the sound goes funny in that it stops and sticks on one note.

But both with and without the patch, that screen is the same. Here's the 1016 version.

Ok thanks, I understand better now.

----------

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:10:25 pm by reyvgm »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:58 pm »
Championshit Pool US

Please tell me this was on purpose! :laugh:

Seiken Densetsu 3

I think I figured out the pattern as to where the text boxes are normal and where they are bright: When you are outside a building, for example, a town, the text box color will be fine. But when you are inside a building  (house, castle, cave, etc.), the text box color will be wrong.

See video for example how outside color is fine, but inside it's too bright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xogsv7ndzfs

Huh, interesting. I actually beat the game on the Classic about maybe a month or two ago. I immediately noticed this difference in gamma between "indoors" and "outdoors" while I was playing, but I just brushed it off as a side effect of Seiken Densetsu 3's day/night cycle since outdoors is constantly changing between bright and dark, while indoors there is no change since, well, you're indoors. Yeah, I really didn't put much thought into it at all when I was playing. :laugh:

I wonder why ID 1016 causes gamma differences between "indoors" and "outdoors". I wonder what game ID 1016 is even for (Mario's Super Picross?).

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2018, 07:10:31 pm »
Ok Sluffy sorry for the misinformation, here are the games I previously said were hi res and they aren't.

D-Force is not hi-res anywhere. So I guess the reported issues can be fixed.
Nigel Mansel. Not hi-res either, if you notice the SNES9X screenshots, the resolution is 256x239 instead of the regular 256x224. So I guess whatever you did for that Dragon ball Z game that had the bottom screen cut off, could be done for this game too since apparently the SNESC cuts anything over 224 lines.

Games that are still hi-res:
Chrono Trigger. The screenshot I posted is accurate, the game does use that vertical half resolution (224x512) in that scene.
Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special. Full hi-res on the menus.
Super Fire Pro Wrestling - Queen's Special. Half hi-res (512x224) during menus, char select screen, intro.

March 13, 2018, 07:12:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I wonder why ID 1016 causes gamma differences between "indoors" and "outdoors". I wonder what game ID 1016 is even for (Mario's Super Picross?).

If the ID doesn't cause the difference. Sluffy's patch does. The ID will show high gamma everywhere. Sluffy's patch fixed the gamma issue on some parts, but not in others.

Actually, looking at this further it seems the ID 1016 does turn the text into hi-res correctly when you compare it to the ID 0000 images. The problem now is high gamma, the whole menu goes off screen (probably due to the hi-res nature of the whole screen), and the top text is garbled.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:23:14 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2018, 07:21:30 pm »
Pilotwings sound tester -- poke spu more often
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hl75i8

Augusta 3 = Canoe does not update sa-1 dma registers. Which solves part of the problem. ^^

Nigel = has nice fat black bar on top. Maybe crop it.

FPWS = oh dear. full hi-res.
FPWQS = half hi-res. pid gamma?
CT = mode7 half hi-res works so that's cool.

Don't worry about screenshot misreporting. I was taking shots in snes9x 1.51 and it kept showing full hi-res. Then tried bsnes and saw half hi-res. And then felt sad that Canoe doesn't seem to have full hi-res hidden anywhere.

Will check sd3 with new info here.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 13, 2018, 07:23:03 pm »
I guess there are two kinds of Hi-Res issues, the kind like in Seiken Densetsu 3 that with ID 0000 shows the entire screen, but the hi-res stuff is blurry. Fixable with ID 1016 (but introduces Gamma issues).

And there's the other Hi-Res issues, where not only is the text blurry, but the entire screen is too big to fit on the screen. Adding ID 1016 fixes the blurry text, but does not "shrink" the image to fit the screen. Is this something you could find a fix for?

--------

That Pilotwings patch, since I haven't tested Pilotw before. I'm assuming that patch is to fix the sound issues, thus, allowing people to use ID 0000 and be able to complete Lesson 8?
Because with ID 10BD the sound issues are fixed, but then that Lesson 8 bug happens.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:28:09 pm by reyvgm »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 13, 2018, 07:30:17 pm »
If the ID doesn't cause the difference. Sluffy's patch does. The ID will show high gamma everywhere. Sluffy's patch fixed the gamma issue on some parts, but not in others.

This is not caused by sluffy's Patch. Different Gamma indoors and outdoors is caused by the Preset ID. Patch has nothing to do with it.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:24 pm »
This is not caused by sluffy's Patch. Different Gamma indoors and outdoors is caused by the Preset ID. Patch has nothing to do with it.

Oh so with vanilla ROM + ID the text boxes gamma issue still alternated between correct and incorrect?

I thought it was Sluffy's patch that fixed some of the text box issues but not others.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2018, 07:43:37 pm »

Hmm, interesting! I can definitely confirm that ID 1016 does cause gamma differences between "indoors" and "outdoors" for Seiken Densetsu 3 at the very least (just tested now with no patch), I did not test other games with that ID though.
I'm unsure if 1016 is simply applying a flat gamma increase, or if it's applying a different gamma increase depending on the state of the game (in this case, indoors/outdoors).

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2018, 07:45:41 pm »
Hmm, interesting! I can definitely confirm that ID 1016 does cause gamma differences between "indoors" and "outdoors" for Seiken Densetsu 3 at the very least (just tested now with no patch), I did not test other games with that ID though.
I'm unsure if 1016 is simply applying a flat gamma increase, or if it's applying a different gamma increase depending on the state of the game (in this case, indoors/outdoors).

Sorry then. Disregard my post then.

I thought the high gamma was present all the time and Sluffy's patch just fixed some of it.

But now I see that Sluffy's patch just fixed the gamma issues on hi-res backgrounds found on the menus, but the text boxes still have the issues.

March 13, 2018, 10:58:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
More tests.

Here are the current hi-res ID's available:
1016 (Mario's Picross)
10B0 (Secret of Mana)
10B2 (Secret of Mana Jpn)
111E (Marvelous)

I'm going to call hi-res games the following way:
Type 1 hi-res: Games like Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3 that use hi-resolution graphics but the hi-res assets (be it backgrounds, menus, text, etc) will still show entirely on the screen.
Type 2 hi-res: Games like Super Family Tennis, Super Formation Soccer 94 that use hi-resolution graphics but the hi-res assets (be it backgrounds, menus, text, etc) will be outside the boundaries of the screen.

Tested the following type 2 hi-res games with Marvelous' ID (111E). They have been tested before with ID 0000 and 1016 , this is specifically to test ID 111E to see if it works.

ASP Air Strike Patrol = C7 error.
Human Grand Prix 2 = C7 error.
Super Family Tennis = C7 error.
Super Fire Pro Wrestling Queen Special = C7 error.
Yuu Yuu Hakusho = C7 error.
Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Tokubetsu Hen = C7 error.
Super Formation Soccer 94 tested with ID 1016, menus show correct hi-res text, but the menu goes off screen.
Super Formation Soccer 95 tested with ID 10B2, C7 error.
Super Formation Soccer 96 tested with ID 111E, C7 error.

According to DarkAkuma, the only ID that doesn't cause a C7 error for any Hi-res game is ID 1016.

------

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
I saw no sound issues or border issues. I guess whoever reported it might have been talking about the Euro version. I tested the Japanese version and the only issue is this with the spotlight at the beginning, which also happens on SNES9X and Higan.

Cyberknight 2
I played through the entire intro and saw no music or graphical glitches anywhere in the game. Whoever reported this might have been using a bad rom or maybe the translation breaks the game. The vanilla game plays just fine. I'm going to remove it from my list since there's nothing wrong with it.

Dennis the Menace
Copyright screen is shown, but screen freezes just before the Ocean logo is supposed to show up. It even plays a bit of the music before it hangs. It will stay there forever until you press Reset on the console, you'll then get a C7 error and it will go back to the console menu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VufwH_3qk0

Der Langrisser
I played through the entire intro and saw no graphical issues when scrolling or anywhere in the game. Whoever reported this might have been using a bad rom or maybe the translation breaks the game. The vanilla game plays just fine. I'm going to remove it from my list since there's nothing wrong with it.

Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san
Black screen after item screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5R3O53yJM

Outlander
Black square on the title screen (bottom left), the "Press Start" text is missing too. Flickering line on the HUD while playing. The flickering line issue also happens in SNES9X, but not on Higan.

Title Screen issue

HUD issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-oCaOn-WGs

Pit Fighter
Animation when you pick a character is broken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRAuzVFVDAU

Super Bomber Man 5
I played several modes and didn't hear any music glitches anywhere in the game. Didn't see the game running too fast as reported either. Whoever reported this might have been using a bad rom. The vanilla game plays just fine. I'm going to remove it from my list since there's nothing wrong with it.

Utopia
Black lines appear on the left and right when examining structures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxD5pdALe8

WWF Royal Rumble US
I played several modes and even got out of the ring and didn't see any HUD glitches anywhere in the game. Whoever reported this might have been using a bad rom or another region. The vanilla game plays just fine. I'm going to remove it from my list since there's nothing wrong with it.

WWF Super WrestleMania US
Many graphical glitches while playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM5c4V3gyoE

I still had more games to test, but it seems my TV has died. It turned off when I wasn't looking and now it's not turning on. I'm going to leave it unplugged for 24 hours just in case and I will try again tomorrow. If it needs repairs then I'm screwed because I have no money for that right now.
And I can't use my monitor for the SNESC because it's old and doesn't have an HDMI port.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:51:50 pm by reyvgm »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2018, 11:46:56 pm »
Whoa! I'm actually very surprised to see so many games listed as having issues but in actuality are working perfectly fine. This is great work! And thank you for testing so many different things.

That is definitely unfortunate about your TV too. I will try my best to test as many things as I can whenever I have the time, unfortunately time is a bit hard to come by at the current moment. I should have some time soon though, so I will be sure to try testing some of the different issues/patches.

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2018, 05:39:00 am »
Hello, Seiken Densetsu 3 does the following with Preset ID 1016.
In Angela's starting area when you are inside the Castle, you get higher gamma in textboxes an Menus. When you are outside there is correct Gamma in text boxes and menus. (and slowdown in menus even with -no-lowlatency) This is on a Stock Rom. No sluffy patch. I have no Access right now to my Snes Mini to test the patch. Wanted just tell there is a pattern.
On the compatibility liste, it is said:
- Slightly blurry high-res font. Use Preset ID 1610 to make text clear but at cost of raised gamma (very minor tradeoff).
- The boss on the Ghost Ship has graphical issues (invisible rendering of area/character sprites, until it performs a special attack).
- Slow down when entering storage/character menus while in Snow City Elrand (only while outside).
Use -no-lowlatency on command line to eliminate sound glitches in highres areas (Menu).

For the blurry hi-res, sluffy is working on it.
The slowdown accessign menu, I suppose the hardware is simply not powerful enough (what a shame).
Regarding the boss on the Ghost Ship, did you notice anything? Was it taht annoying?
Overall, for you, the experience was good? I have the fondest memories of this game, so I don't want to replay it in a bad way. :p

Apart from Seiken Densestu 3, there is also Rudra no Hihou as a hi-res game which somehow works with that Preset ID: but menus are black. I think/hope this can be corrected!