News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 203033 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Canoe official snes emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2018, 06:44:27 pm »
Bosco82 with more cartridge header fixes. Wouldn't thought to check those. Thanks for picking up on this side.

Spent down time doing some emu tests with Cheat Engine. Handful games (8+) lockup because cpu runs too slow I guess for game (sync). Look into that. Spider-Man messes up menu because maybe dma runs too fast. Tripped Top Gear 2 PAL piracy screen by going fast. Didn't trip Smurfs trap, and played ~8 levels using super cheat.

Ballz 3D runs fine on dsp1. Where did that "concrete" fact come from that needs dsp1b? Pilotwings has pre-recorded flight data to playback on dsp1. Only useful if other game requires dsp1b math. What up with Battle Racers? lol

Spreadsheet. Could add names of tester to list until you hit 2-3 verification. Then green it. But reyvgm does have thick orange marker.

Little Magic ... more likely be transparency issue with Canoe. Would be faster if someone could find preset id that toggles this. Even if add dsp-1, sa-1, s-dd1 header because doesn't use chips anyway.

Going to throw GH fix into KDL3 boot. Just to see what it does.

===1
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6io2r6
KDL3 - wake2 timer. May have to use special preset ids. Unsure what it'll do.

===2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/r2uqj8
Spider-Man: Animated Series (USA). Fix vblank wait for menu.

===3
(removed waku waku -- needs work)

Little Magic. Another idea later.

Tests from Demi

Kirby 3
"Didnt seem to work. Loaded fresh game, no saves. Completed level. Went back to menu, reloaded game, saves were gone. Preset ID A210 / 10A2"

Spiderman patch works.

Here's Mystic Ark issue with those other RPG IDs:

Wrong

Correct
https://youtu.be/C6FemEtNYLU?t=63

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 06, 2018, 06:51:41 pm »
Kirby 3 with 10A4 still wishy-washy results? iirc this id doesn't always save either.

Doubt this'll turn up anything.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/kagm7l

Tests Zelda3 USA (w/ id) for rom mods. Wait 30 seconds. Then send sram over.

Picture = exactly how I imagined.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:13:40 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2018, 07:15:31 pm »
Kirby 3 with 10A4 still wishy-washy results? iirc this id doesn't always save either.

Doubt this'll turn up anything.

Tests Zelda3 USA (w/ id) for rom mods. Wait 30 seconds. Then send sram over.

Picture = exactly how I imagined.

Wait, that patch is for Zelda 3 or Kirby 3?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »
Asking for Kirby3 wake2 with 10A4 id. Sounds like game won't always save though still.
=== answered below. No more tests needed. Shelve idea.

Zelda3 USA w/ 101D. Saves to sram any rom mods (+ mine). Thinking this'll be zero but want to be absolutely sure.

Does MK3 need id for Canoe? Because that has mode3 sprites-bg2-bg1 layering (similar to Mystic Ark). Center dragon tile should keep sliding in/out to reveal hidden fighter underneath (can't remember who atm. Smoke?).
=== MK3. Not UMK3.

Goodie. Spider-Man works. Scratch those files from hdd. Short notes:
lda #$81
-
bit $4212
===> emu expects nmi here. rti @ 005.
bne -

I think real hardware sets vblank and waits a bit before running nmi. So has time to escape. If emulator fails, it starts sending trash after enough tries. WAI and be done.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:27:25 pm by sluffy »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2018, 07:19:19 pm »

I tested Kirby 3 with 10A4, and the SRAM still did not save after completing a stage.
It still only saves to SRAM after soft-resetting with "L + R + Select + Start".

EDIT:

Does MK3 need id for Canoe? Because that has mode3 sprites-bg2-bg1 layering (similar to Mystic Ark). Center dragon tile should keep sliding in/out to reveal hidden fighter underneath (can't remember who atm).

I looked around for a bit, but I couldn't find any information on Mortal Kombat 3 needing a specific Preset ID, somebody probably would have mentioned it somewhere I would imagine. I'm going to assume the lists are saying working with ID 0000, I think anyways. I have not tested the game on Canoe myself.

EDIT2:

Will test MK3 on Canoe later today!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:31:40 pm by pimpinelephant »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 06, 2018, 07:33:06 pm »
Funny enough. MK2 character select screen is mode4 (sprite-bg2-bg1). Sounds like 0000 id here also. What are you doing Little Magic (4) / Mystic Ark (3)??

===1
This will keep testers busy.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5m72q4

Dream Basketball - Dunk & Hoop (Japan)
F-1 Grand Prix - Part II (Japan)
F1 Pole Position (USA)
Firemen, The (Europe) (En,Fr,De)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling 2 (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling III - Final Bout (Japan) (Rev 1)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special (Japan) (Rev 1)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling - Queen's Special (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium (Japan)
Wakuwaku Ski Wonder Spur (Japan)

Should fix bad sound or boot issues.

===2
Super Final Match Tennis (Japan)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ts5bql
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:27:50 pm by sluffy »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2018, 10:57:10 pm »
The next thing I tested was with the Demos that play out when sitting idle at the splash screen. I tested Pilotwings with different DSP-1 BIOSes via Higan. I used the exact same ROM and only switched the DSP-1 BIOS.
Pilotwings with dsp1.rom = The plane in the demo landed successfully.
Pilotwings with dsp1b.rom = The plane in the demo crashes before reaching the runway.
Pilotwings demo is dependent on a bug in the original DSP1 ROM. (that is, Pilotwings is written to compensate for the DSP bug)
The plane crashes with the DSP1B ROM because the bug was fixed in the later ROM. (so now Pilotwings can no longer correct for the error)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:17 pm »
Little Magic debug test3 -- try 8x8 bg1 tiles (MK2,MK3)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3hg8xp

Working on Rendering Ranger R2. Rewriting transfer routines. Messy but maybe doable. Unless they put in lots of them.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2018, 07:45:56 am »
I went ahead and tested Mortal Kombat 3 with both Preset IDs 0000 and 1068 (Breath of Fire II) to see if there was any difference. The results appeared to be exactly the same.

I primarily looked at the character select screen, the sliding dragon tile in particular that shows a character (Smoke?) behind it. It looked to be displaying correctly with both Preset IDs. I didn't notice any differences, they appeared to display identically to each other.

===1
This will keep testers busy.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5m72q4

Dream Basketball - Dunk & Hoop (Japan)
F-1 Grand Prix - Part II (Japan)
F1 Pole Position (USA)
Firemen, The (Europe) (En,Fr,De)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling 2 (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling III - Final Bout (Japan) (Rev 1)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special (Japan) (Rev 1)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling - Queen's Special (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X (Japan)
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium (Japan)
Wakuwaku Ski Wonder Spur (Japan)

Should fix bad sound or boot issues.

I was only able to test one of these games with the time that I had. I know, I'm a lazy bum! :laugh: I apologize!

The Firemen (PAL) appears to be working correctly now. The background music now plays.

Pilotwings demo is dependent on a bug in the original DSP1 ROM. (that is, Pilotwings is written to compensate for the DSP bug)
The plane crashes with the DSP1B ROM because the bug was fixed in the later ROM. (so now Pilotwings can no longer correct for the error)

Huh, very interesting!

therourke

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:38 am »
Little Magic debug test3 -- try 8x8 bg1 tiles (MK2,MK3)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3hg8xp

Working on Rendering Ranger R2. Rewriting transfer routines. Messy but maybe doable. Unless they put in lots of them.
Little Magic now shows some tiles, but they are a mess: https://i.imgur.com/ZaenmVE.jpg. Interestingly, the entire first level shows up in the top left corner. Is that the sprite for the level map maybe? 1st level looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/YEfY5uj.jpg
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:06:20 am by therourke »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 07, 2018, 11:07:55 am »
Some tests:

Dream Basketball: Works! Tested all game modes and menus, no black screen. A bit of lag in regular mode but that was expected I guess. 3 on 3 mode is great!
- Minor issue: Some text is cut off at the beginning of a regular game: https://imgur.com/gallery/YsyKx. This happens in snes9x as well. Again, very very minor, the game works great.

F1 Grand Prix Part II: Works. No C8 or black screen.

F1 Pole Position: Did not boot. Black screen

Little Magic: same result as therourke.

Super Final Match Tennis: Works!

WakuWaku Ski Wonder Spur: Works.

Hopefully someone can test the wrestling games.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:49:58 am by etiel »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2018, 01:25:57 pm »
Dream Basketball -- jot it down for later. somewhat curious about what causes it.
F1 GP II -- was thinking C8 is audio crash, since what I experienced on snes9x
F1 Pole -- hmm. another hidden bug on top of sound.

LM -- Confirms Canoe is not drawing 16x16 8-bpp mode3/4 tiles. Don't know if there's game who does this... would need list of preset ids and work through them. This trick is used to save vram space (75% reduction) so unsure how to handle for now. Test only draws upper-left 8x8 tile so it "draws" correctly now. Just not what we want. Exact same for Mystic Ark.

SFMT -- yup.
Waku -- puyfect.

Human engine sound bug:
cmp $f4
bcs -

Replace bcs with bpl. Bug with wrap edge cases (stops transfer early).

bpl math = always works when inc+1
00-FF = FF[01]
00-00 = 00
00-01 = FF [stop]

80-7F = 01
80-80 = 00
80-81 = FF [stop]

==1
Dream Basketball. Time Over > 34 sprite tiles on a line. Normal hardware behavior (and bsnes+). You'd need hacked emu to display more tiles, then confirmed works. Can't be worked around -- too many players on court. Nice to know though.

==2
Actually could. Just split sprites up/down. Other time.

==3
https://www.sendspace.com/file/0hq5br
Sports Illustrated Championship Football & Baseball

I'm sure someone will get to the FPW ones eventually.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:40:55 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Canoe emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2018, 07:02:32 pm »
Latest patch tests from Demi

F1 Gran Prix 2 still has issues (see up-left)
https://i.imgur.com/gDPQUt5.png

Super Fire Pro Wrestling 1, Super Fire Pro Wrestling 2, Super Fire Pro Wrestling 3. What exactly were the problems with these games? There were no reported issues before, and with or without the patch both games seem to run just fine.

Super Fire Pro Wrestling Queen's Special. Patch seems to work. But when the translation on RHDN is applied, there are issues.  Selecting any of these options results in a black screen.
https://i.imgur.com/vWPO1SQ.png

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X. The only immediate difference I could find between patch/nopatch is the title screen actually plays music with the patch. Game works fine otherwise regardless.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:14:06 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 07, 2018, 07:34:49 pm »
FPW games = idk if there were problems to begin with. But. They all use Human sound engine. And that's buggy with some games for sure (Firemen, F1 GP 2, Dream Hoops, Waku). Did all in 1 sweep to be sure.

Even if Canoe doesn't need, I'd still want them for snes9x (1.51 + Human = problems). But if a patch isn't required, just toss it away. I'll document them regardless in the writeup section. ;)

So from now on, I'll explicitly mention whether patch is not mentioned on spreadsheet and mainly geared for snes9x (1.51). Toss out FPW1-3,S patches since not needed for Canoe. Does FPWQS bug out without using sound patch? Or just sound patch? Should've just filed all of them under Snes9x maybe.

Going to change thread focus to Canoe or Snes9x. Since I'm bothered which games don't work with Geiger for trace logs. And I'm not doing this solely for Canoe.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:49 pm »
Tests from demi

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium. Without patch, there's an audio issue on an instrument (noticable on title screen). BZZT sound. Patch takes care of this. FIXED

Sports Illustrated: Championship Football & Baseball. Game doesn't crash anymore when selecting a mode. FIXED

@Robin64, can you test Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special with the patch? Demi can't add the game to hakchi, and he doesn't have Hakchi CE or SFROM Tool.

Does FPWQS bug out without using sound patch? Or just sound patch? Should've just filed all of them under Snes9x maybe.

From Demi's description it seems that the original Japanese game works fine with sound patch. BUT, when the translation is applied, and the the sound patch is applied, the issues happen.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:44:26 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #375 on: March 07, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »
SFPWQS with only translation needs checking... or translation trips another sound path when used together. Or whatever. Something I'm not going to like.
=== Going to need Canoe verification that T-Eng SFPWQS (no audio) works okay.

BZZT can be bad audio transfers? Gotta check broken games.

===1
Rendering Ranger boots! Then dies. Sound sync.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:13:41 pm by sluffy »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 07, 2018, 08:59:02 pm »
Rendering Ranger R2 uses custom SPC700 timings, snes9x 1.51 couldn't emulate it due to the inaccurate APU-CPU timings.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 07, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »
Sports Illustrated blindly has cpu send audio packets. Hand-tweaked timing. Has no handshakes for in-game loading. Add some and good.

Rewriting Ranger's sound transfer engine (for 1.51 test). Before I got black screen always (disabling snes9x sound hack header detection). Then Virgin logo. Now shows 2nd splash. Then dies again.

A mix of blind transfers and bad handshaking. Think I can get this one working after all.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 08, 2018, 08:43:30 am »
I decided to do some testing with Battle Racers, just to see if I would be able to get any sort of different result. Unfortunately, everything I tried ended with the exact same result.

Even when changing the chipset to a non-DSP value, the exact same "black screen with red dots" displays. I was hoping it would at least boot up to show the "Banpresto" logo like it does in Higan without the DSP-1 rom.

I just find it odd that the game exhibits the exact same results, no matter if you use ID 0000 or a DSP ID. Usually Canoe will C7 if you try using ID 0000 with a special chipset game. I'm not even sure if the game is actually booting-up or not to be completely honest with you, but if you soft-reset with "L+R+Select+Start" at the black screen with red dots, the red dots do in-fact disappear. So maybe it is booting-up, or at least trying to, not exactly sure.

Anyways, I didn't achieve any results to speak of unfortunately, but I did want to at least mention them just in case it might be helpful at all.
Battle Racers must be doing something really strange that Canoe really, really doesn't like.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 08, 2018, 09:05:15 am »
Maybe header is damaged? Or needs modify? Company id?

Idea: if you play (stock) working games without preset id, what errors appear? You may learn what each id switches on. Fewer blind pid trials.