News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 497858 times)

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2018, 11:03:12 pm »
Great Battle 4 (Japan, 0000 pid, clean rom) --- gui flicker (wait h-blank)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/n8mcv6

Great Battle 3 (Japan, 0000 pid, clean rom) --- gui flicker (wait h-blank)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/cgmtz0
===> This one can't see so taking guess from #4
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:18:22 pm by sluffy »

RandPC

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 20, 2018, 11:16:56 pm »
Great Battle 4 (Japan, 0000 pid, clean rom) --- gui flicker (wait h-blank)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/n8mcv6

Fixed as far as I can tell. Played for about 10min. No GUI flicker apparent.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2018, 11:25:11 pm »
Has all Mystic Ark fixes. Have to tweak each cutscene - it'll look mini sized

Wait, so with the Mystic Ark patch we don't need ID 1068 right? So what your patch fixes is the C7 crash, and not the backgrounds, correct?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 20, 2018, 11:35:22 pm »
With 0000 pid, Mystic Ark patch fixes C7 and 1st cutscene background. When I get other 2 saves, have to patch those bg1+2 cutscene tilemap data into rom. Those 2 scenes will look wrong in all emus atm. It'll be very obvious.

tl;dr -- cutscene 1 fixed. Waiting on #2,3 save files to fix those. Then done.

Thanks all for testing.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
Mystic Ark

Cutscene 2
Here's the cutscene 2 save. Unfortunately, there's no way to save close to it. The save has high enough levels, so monsters will not be a problem, but you will have to walk to get to the cutscene. It's not really long and the path is pretty much linear. If anyone wants to try it, here are the directions:

-Leave the town.
-Go left and up a short distance to the tower.
-Inside the tower, go all the way up, then left. Take stairs.
-Follow the linear path, take the stairs. On the next floor, follow the linear path again, take the stairs.
-On the next floor, take the bottom-right title, take the stairs.
-Follow the linear path up to 5 floors.
-Once you reach a small machine, select Examine -> Use Ark -> Power. The cutscene will start.

(Sluffy, since you are using PC emulators, here's a Game Genie code to avoid monster battles so you can get there faster: C2D1-5497)

When testing, please use the patch already posted + ID 0000 to test this 2nd cutscene. We're looking for a C7 crash, or missing backgrounds during the Giant cutscene (make a video if possible).

SRAM
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6faf7z
Canoe save
https://www.sendspace.com/file/kh1zih

Cutscene 3
Cutscene 3 is easy. Load the save, select Magic --> Warp Gate --> Nanaka (1st option), and you'll be warped to the town where the cutscene will automatically start.

SRAM
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8y0z2t
Canoe save
https://www.sendspace.com/file/f1n4pb

When testing, please use the patch already posted + ID 0000 to test this 3rd cutscene. We're looking for a C7 crash, or missing backgrounds during the Giant cutscene (make a video if possible).

-------------

With 0000 pid, Mystic Ark patch fixes C7 and 1st cutscene background. When I get other 2 saves, have to patch those bg1+2 cutscene tilemap data into rom. Those 2 scenes will look wrong in all emus atm. It'll be very obvious.

tl;dr -- cutscene 1 fixed. Waiting on #2,3 save files to fix those. Then done.

I have a few more questions about Mystic Ark.

The original issue was that the game crashed before showing the cutscene. Once it was discovered that ID 1068 would fix the crash, we noticed that the cutscene had missing graphics. I assumed it was the ID's fault. That the ID was "removing" the background in some way.

So what you are telling me is that even with ID 0000, if the game didn't crash, we would have still seen the backgrounds missing from the cutscenes? So it wasn't ID's 1068 fault then?

If it isn't ID 1068's fault, then that makes me feel better because that ID fixed Soul Blazer's issue and I thought that maybe the ID would remove the backgrounds from the cutscenes found in the ending since most of the games fixed with ID 1068 also had missing backgrounds during their cutscenes (Mystic Ark, Tin Star, Yogi Bear, etc).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:47:02 am by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:17 am »
Thanks for saves. Working on #3 first. And they add more complexity - updated dynamic scrolling crud. Un-fun.

Ark: If C7 didn't crash, 0000 pid would still draw black. Just like Little Magic. Have to fix draw engine to use small 8-bpp tiles.

===1
Mystic Ark (0000 pid, Japan, clean rom) --- fix cutscenes 1,2,3
https://www.sendspace.com/file/lgliru

Jurassic Park (10A2 pid, rev1, USA, clean rom) --- combine both testers
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sobwbp
===> Just check if sprites are corrupt

Might be Front Mission like problem with test2 failing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:31:36 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 21, 2018, 05:35:06 pm »
Ark: If C7 didn't crash, 0000 pid would still draw black. Just like Little Magic. Have to fix draw engine to use small 8-bpp tiles.

Ok good. Then games like Soul Blazer's cutscenes shouldn't be affected negatively for using ID 1068.

By the way, how do you know so much about the SNES? Why that system and not others? Did you grow up playing SNES back then and that's why you like it so much?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:46 pm »
Most experience I've had is cheat hacking. Same for other systems. Emus, dosbox, adventure games I'm more familiar with. Snes allows rom "expansion" or jumping around so it's easier to play with. Can't do this so easily with say PSX. NES,GB/C so-so. Cheat Engine trainers yeah.

And some games have slow-down. Which bothered me enough to try LV2 for experiment. Plus it's harder to fix emu than actual game sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:58:59 pm by sluffy »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 21, 2018, 06:04:09 pm »
Tested the new Mystic Ark patch on cut-scene 2 & 3 and the backgrounds show up just fine no errors.
Tested Great Battle III there is no flickering pixels, this is fixed.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »
Most experience I've had is cheat hacking. Same for other systems. Emus, dosbox, adventure games I'm more familiar with. Snes allows rom "expansion" or jumping around so it's easier to play with. Can't do this so easily with say PSX. NES,GB/C so-so. Cheat Engine trainers yeah.

And some games have slow-down. Which bothered me enough to try LV2 for experiment. Plus it's harder to fix emu than actual game sometimes.

Wow, so your experience comes from making cheats :P

You must be some kind of hidden genius if you are able to do all this fixing without even actually analyzing the target device's faults (SNES Classic).

Tested the new Mystic Ark patch on cut-scene 2 & 3 and the backgrounds show up just fine no errors.
Tested Great Battle III there is no flickering pixels, this is fixed.

The person that reported the Great Battle 3 flickering said this: "Row of pixels flickers underneath top section of UI (when it expands when someone talks the row is below that as well)"

Did you also test when someone talked to you?

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:26 pm »
Yep this happens pretty much right away at the start and there is no flickering pixels

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 21, 2018, 06:11:56 pm »
Yep this happens pretty much right away at the start and there is no flickering pixels

Cool, thanks!

And thanks sluffy for the latest batch of fixes!

Sluffy

This is just for informational purposes only, I'm not asking you to look into this, but...
Would it be possible to find a fix for the Seiken Densetsu 3 issue that happens on the SNES Classic with the hi-res ID in which the music gets distorted when you enter the menu (which is hi-res)? It actually just happens on certain areas, and not every single time.

See video of how the music is not very clear and the tempo goes up and down as the person scrolls through the menu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4Ms94w3CI

This is probably just the SNESC not being able to keep up the music while also rendering the hi-res background and text. But I'm wondering if there's something that could "optimize" the game to run better?
Certainly if the SNES Classic's CPU is powerful enough to run emulators like MAME and Playstation, then it can certainly run SD3 full speed if the game was optimized, right?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:38:07 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 21, 2018, 06:49:36 pm »
I think it depends on whether it's cpu bottleneck (streaming music sheet like Lost Vikings II) or purely apu side. They tend to be rather difficult to optimize and a lot of work can get you just a few vlines (= nothing in my experience with several games). PAL ==> NTSC timing problems can be monstrously hard on cpu alone (those extra vblank lines are definitely helpful).

But I do know that Canoe is running cycles like 9x 1.51 engine == between slow and slower. You feel slowdowns more often in that emu. I'll keep it in mind if I find some easy trick. Lost Vikings II was pretty sloppy at times, and surprisingly efficient elsewhere. Squaresoft .. never looked that deeply before. But they're like Quintet -- structured everything.

Or! You could cheat and add basic sa-1 coprocessor to do stupid things like oam filling. But I forget if SA-1 is all LoROM only. That'd be hellishly easier than breaking down the rom. Since it's Canoe and not copiers. Of course, I thought about that much later after LV2,Cacoma was sped up decently. Would've saved waterfalls of tears.

Right. Back to next game.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 21, 2018, 06:53:12 pm »
I think it depends on whether it's cpu bottleneck (streaming music sheet like Lost Vikings II) or purely apu side. They tend to be rather difficult to optimize and a lot of work can get you just a few vlines (= nothing in my experience with several games). PAL ==> NTSC timing problems can be monstrously hard on cpu alone (those extra vblank lines are definitely helpful).

But I do know that Canoe is running cycles like 9x 1.51 engine == between slow and slower. You feel slowdowns more often in that emu. I'll keep it in mind if I find some easy trick. Lost Vikings II was pretty sloppy at times, and surprisingly efficient elsewhere. Squaresoft .. never looked that deeply before. But they're like Quintet -- structured everything.

Or! You could cheat and add basic sa-1 coprocessor to do stupid things like oam filling. But I forget if SA-1 is all LoROM only. That'd be hellishly easier than breaking down the rom. Since it's Canoe and not copiers. Of course, I thought about that much later after LV2,Cacoma was sped up decently. Would've saved waterfalls of tears.

Didn't understand over half of it since I'm not technical-savy enough :P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:23:35 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 21, 2018, 07:20:26 pm »
Battle Pinball (Japan, 0000 pid, clean rom) --- underwater table crash
https://www.sendspace.com/file/2yi18k

NMI within NMI = very bad.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 21, 2018, 07:23:26 pm »

Here's a better video by Robin showing the difference between opening the menu inside a building and outside. This only happens with hi-res ID. On low res it works fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnlfUgulA_A

It's sort of like the gamma issue that happened outside and inside buildings, but with music.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:28:29 pm by reyvgm »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 21, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »
Battle Pinball now shows high scores after the underwater table game overs

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:48 pm »
Yeah, that would be nice for SD3, even if really it is a small issue. It's not like you go in this menu that often : it would be different if it was the ring menu which was problematic. But this SA-1 conversion could be a good idea, after all, we have a SA-1 hi-res preset ID : Marvelous.

Concerning Rudra no Hihou: do we have a final version of the patch? If I remember right, someone pointed out that one window dring combats had wrong gamma.

Thak you as always, sluffy!

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 21, 2018, 09:20:58 pm »
Jurassic Park (10A2 pid, rev1, USA, clean rom) --- combine both testers
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sobwbp
===> Just check if sprites are corrupt

Might be Front Mission like problem with test2 failing.

test3 with pid A210 = black screen
--------------------------
Great Battle 4 with sluffy's patch + translation works fine too (no flickering gui)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:54:45 pm by etiel »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 21, 2018, 09:57:26 pm »
Street Racer (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom) --- broken menu racers
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nxl1bf
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:46:00 pm by sluffy »