News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 473164 times)

Robin64

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2018, 04:12:44 pm »
Gun Hazard VC patch and sluffy patch work fine together. The reported crash was because of a translation patch for a headererd ROM, but therourke did get everything working together fine after fixing that.

Here's a more detailed look at the VC patch anyway.

Code: [Select]
Offset: End    Size  Type IPS Offset IPS End  IPS Size Changed To
------  ------ ----- ID   00000000   00000004 5 
00FFDC  00FFDF 4     PAT  00000005   0000000D 9        F7 73 08 8C   
023025  023028 4     PAT  0000000E   00000016 9        A1 3C ED 3D   
02302D  023030 4     PAT  00000017   0000001F 9        48 3D 26 3D   
0300B3  0300B8 6     PAT  00000020   0000002A 11       EA EA EA EA EA EA   
------  ------ ----- EOF  0000002B   0000002D 3     
Rows: 6 (6), Patches: 4 (4), Modified: 12 (18)

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2018, 04:21:40 pm »
Thanks. Sometimes should ignore PM'ers. :)
FFDC = rom checksum, toss
300B3 = disable checksum routine, toss
23025, 2302d = these look like ... script ptrs??

Nothing important I guess. Back to work.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2018, 04:24:05 pm »
Rendering Ranger - canoe aio patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ethd1r

Just to verify, this patch contains the sound patch with the overscan patch combined? and the overscan part of this all in one patch is the same as your overscan stand alone patch from here? March 13
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fyytsk
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:59:29 pm by CanoeFan »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2018, 04:24:06 pm »
Rendering Ranger - canoe aio patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ethd1r

So this is the final patch? It includes both of your last working patches into one, right?

RandPC

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »
I saw no one trying this game, so I gave Winter Gold a go. I tried a version with both an anti NTSC lockout path and a LOROM to NTSC patch and another ROM with just the anti-lockout patch. Both versions have the engine running too fast in the intro, by the point the game gets to the title screen before the music ends and not with it. This is supposed to be how it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvUtqgrbGQ

Other than that, game plays perfect. I haven't seen any graphical glitches of the sort, but I'll keep digging.

EDIT: SRAM works. Kept my character after a circuit. Each event behaves prefectly, though throughout the whole game the top line of pixels flicker and blonk from time to time. Not that bothersome since you're focused on the track or doing tricks, but it's there.

I haven't played the game but I recall reading from a few people on Reddit that the event times are broken such that it's impossible to get competitive or record times in some of the events when played on Canoe. So while the game plays normally you're supposedly unable to get proper scoring. May want to look into that if you're experienced enough at the game to get sufficient good times normally.

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »
I saw no one trying this game, so I gave Winter Gold a go. I tried a version with both an anti NTSC lockout path and a LOROM to NTSC patch and another ROM with just the anti-lockout patch. Both versions have the engine running too fast in the intro, by the point the game gets to the title screen before the music ends and not with it. This is supposed to be how it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvUtqgrbGQ

Other than that, game plays perfect. I haven't seen any graphical glitches of the sort, but I'll keep digging.

EDIT: SRAM works. Kept my character after a circuit. Each event behaves prefectly, though throughout the whole game the top line of pixels flicker and blonk from time to time. Not that bothersome since you're focused on the track or doing tricks, but it's there.

There's a USA prototype of this, but no ROM has been released. The game runs fast in some parts, but it’s playable and very fun - a true classic that we play often. Maybe the faster speed makes some events more difficult? The main issue I have is that the CPU times are all impossible to beat or even get near.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:24:11 pm by matt! »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2018, 05:12:28 pm »
Rendering Ranger = working final build of both sound + overscan together (merged). No changes to test since last release.

Musgy

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2018, 05:52:44 pm »
There's a USA prototype of this, but no ROM has been released. The game runs fast in some parts, but it's playable. Maybe the faster speed makes some events more difficult? The main issue I have is that the CPU times are all impossible to beat or even get near.

So it wasn't my imagination? I did two circuits starting with the ski run and, sure enough, everyone else was a minute or so behind in time. But IMO the gameplay was at an OK level; I never had any speed issues, so all I noticed was the sped up intro and the flickering top bar. I'm gonna try a full circuit again to see if the timing really is out of sync. Could it be a byproduct of the NTSC patch?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2018, 06:01:14 pm »
Rendering Ranger = working final build of both sound + overscan together (merged). No changes to test since last release.

Great, thanks!

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2018, 07:41:37 pm »
Ok so the current errors with the last two patches combined is:
-Black screen after doing the soft reset. <-- Please note that this Down+Select combination is not something that the game has, nor is it something the SNES Classic has either, this is a reset hack added by hakchi.

Quick correction: By soft reset I meant L+R+Select+Start (back to title screen). Down+Select works fine and takes you back to the game folder (same as hardware reset).

Wait, are you sure you used that Japan patch? Because that's from March 8th, and Sluffy released an updated patch on March 10th:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg353562#msg353562

I think I'll wait until Sluffy specifies which are the last patches.

Ok, I tested both March 8th (japan.ips) and 10th (sound.ips) patches. Did not notice any difference. The game only "changed" when applying a different overscan patch. Maybe someone else can confirm this? Anyway, seems irrelevant now that sluffy is working on the AIO patch.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:16:53 pm by etiel »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2018, 07:51:38 pm »
Quick correction: By soft reset I meant L+R+Select+Start. Down+Select works fine and takes you back to the game folder (same as hardware reset).

That's odd. Rendering Ranger doesn't have that reset combination. I tried the game on a PC emulator and pressed L+R+Select+Start and nothing happened. I even configured all buttons to just 1 button to make sure they are all being pressed and held at the same time and nothing. Additionally, just in case my controller or emu was wrong, I tried it in Chrono Trigger (since most Square games had that code) and it worked just fine.

Are you sure your hakchi isn't causing a conflict there? If you moved from hakchi2 to hakchiCE it's possible there's a conflict there since I remember some hakchi versions having L+R+Select+Start as the 'reset to menu' shortcut.

Not all SNES games had the L+R+Select+Start to reset code, and as far as I tested, this game doesn't have it either. Can someone else try it on either canoe or emulators?

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2018, 08:06:10 pm »
That's odd. Rendering Ranger doesn't have that reset combination. I tried the game on a PC emulator and pressed L+R+Select+Start and nothing happened. I even configured all buttons to just 1 button to make sure they are all being pressed and held at the same time and nothing. Additionally, just in case my controller or emu was wrong, I tried it in Chrono Trigger (since most Square games had that code) and it worked just fine.

Are you sure your hakchi isn't causing a conflict there? If you moved from hakchi2 to hakchiCE it's possible there's a conflict there since I remember some hakchi versions having L+R+Select+Start as the 'reset to menu' shortcut.

Not all SNES games had the L+R+Select+Start to reset code, and as far as I tested, this game doesn't have it either. Can someone else try it on either canoe or emulators?

L+R+Select+Start (software reset) is a feature of the SNES Classic. It's in the manual: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/en_us/manual.html

This does not work with Rendering Ranger. I remember that this happened with other two or three games but I can't remember which.

By the way, I'm using hakchi 2.21f.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:11:39 pm by etiel »

RandPC

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2018, 08:08:38 pm »

L+R+Start+Select should work for any game run through Canoe as long as you don't have a conflicting Hakchi reset key, it's a shortcut Nintendo added to the Canoe emulator itself. Since it's an emulator addition, it wouldn't occur with Rendering Ranger run through a PC emulator. It's supposed to function like hitting reset on the original console would.
The L+R+Start+Select shortcut is covered in the SNES Mini's manual/documentation.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2018, 08:16:44 pm »
L+R+Select+Start (software reset) is a feature of the SNES Classic. It's in the manual: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/en_us/manual.html

This does not work with Rendering Ranger. I remember that this happened with other two or three games but I can't remember which.

By the way, I'm using hakchi 2.21f.

Ah, I didn't know they added it for all the games. Maybe there's the problem? It's doing something the game was not programmed to do. In that case, it's something that could be fixed, although I have no idea how would sluffy do something like that.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2018, 08:32:06 pm »
Rudra no Hihou - gamma tester stack (1016)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/crgfsq

Ranger + soft reset = very unsure. Can't reproduce this anywhere so hard to imagine what cause is. Will check logs over to look for possible sticky spots.

I'm assuming this "soft reset" is the one that triggers Super Buster Bros. (rev 0) missing graphics reset bug.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:02:31 pm by sluffy »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2018, 08:41:58 pm »
Rudra no Hihou - gamma tester stack

Do we need a specific pid to test?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:51 pm »
Rudra no Hihou - gamma tester stack

Ranger + soft reset = very unsure. Can't reproduce this anywhere so hard to imagine what cause is. Will check logs over to look for possible sticky spots.

I'm assuming this "soft reset" is the one that triggers Super Buster Bros. (rev 0) missing graphics reset bug.

Probably. I tested it on the PC and the game doesn't have a native soft reset. So whatever the SNESC is doing, it's causing issues for that game too.

By the way I just noticed Super Buster Bros uses hi-res for the entire game.

Yeah what ID to use for Rudra? These are the available ones (thanks to Robin for the info):

Rudra no Hihou 0000 - http://i.imgur.com/Wi28u7u.png
Rudra no Hihou 1016 - http://i.imgur.com/lAJYvgP.png
Rudra no Hihou 1017 - http://i.imgur.com/zSTI0wg.png
Rudra no Hihou 1101 (official) - http://i.imgur.com/fJSVFZ4.png

Rudra no Hihou has its own official Preset ID, and that is 0x1101! Sadly, for whatever reason, Nintendo didn't set that PID to enable hi-res in Canoe. So despite being the "correct" one, it works the same as 0x0000.
Once again, 0x1016 and 0x1017 perform as expected, with the former doing both hi-res and gamma and the latter only doing gamma. 0x1016 would be fine for the game, if not for turning all the menus black

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:55:36 pm by reyvgm »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2018, 08:56:48 pm »
Probably. I tested it on the PC and the game doesn't have a native soft reset. So whatever the SNESC is doing, it's causing issues for that game too.

Very few games had the soft reset combination on original hardware. Only I know of are Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana.

In canoe, the combination works for almost every game, so it's a bit weird that it doesn't with RR. However, let's not forget that before sluffy, the game didn't even boot. :P

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2018, 08:58:41 pm »
Rudra - Test 1-1, 1-3, 1-5, 1-8 all show the menus using ID 1016. Gamma looks pretty much the same to me on these tests.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2018, 09:01:25 pm »
Was going to say 1016 for Rudra. But Bosco82 already did it. If menu looks okay, then I think it's cleared for general play. Doesn't do anything special like SD3, or at least I think not.

Weird that gamma is same on all 4. #5 should've been darker. But no complaints if it's okay.

Dark Law tester is also 1016. 1016 for every gamma game problem.