News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 473766 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #540 on: March 14, 2018, 11:13:06 pm »
Demi tested An American Tale - Fievel Goes West and Nosferatu with ID 1068 and it didn't help with anything.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 14, 2018, 11:16:11 pm »
Ran 1068 with_ American Tail test3 hack that showed legal screen? That game has buggering irq boot problem which that one solved, but not after.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 14, 2018, 11:22:56 pm »
Ran 1068 with_ American Tail test3 hack that showed legal screen? That game has buggering irq boot problem which that one solved, but not after.

I think he tested the vanilla rom. For both games.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 14, 2018, 11:27:54 pm »
Nosferatu vanilla = okay. haven't found any solution there. just debug tests.
American Tail definitely needs that patch to start (cpu bug).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/asckcn
Dark Law gamma test1 -- top menu should be normal-ish. bottom should be dark or black (mistake). would like to know if moving down right path.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:29 am »
Demi says ID 1068 fixes the black lines problem in Hamelin no Violin Hiki. At least to the extent of what the video showed. He doesn't know if there are problems later on.

I'm afraid this magical 1068 might be breaking cutscene backgrounds for all these games like in Mystic Ark and Tin Star without us realizing it.

I wish someone would discover an ID that fixes the dozens of games with popping/crackling audio :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:40:55 am by reyvgm »

Musgy

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:20 am »
I saw no one trying this game, so I gave Winter Gold a go. I tried a version with both an anti NTSC lockout path and a LOROM to NTSC patch and another ROM with just the anti-lockout patch. Both versions have the engine running too fast in the intro, by the point the game gets to the title screen before the music ends and not with it. This is supposed to be how it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvUtqgrbGQ

Other than that, game plays perfect. I haven't seen any graphical glitches of the sort, but I'll keep digging.

EDIT: SRAM works. Kept my character after a circuit. Each event behaves prefectly, though throughout the whole game the top line of pixels flicker and blonk from time to time. Not that bothersome since you're focused on the track or doing tricks, but it's there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:07:46 am by Musgy »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 15, 2018, 07:30:21 am »
Jumpin' Derby:

109C = Game is "playable" but graphics are all garbled.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Gameplay Picture
109F = Immediate C7 error.
111E = Immediate C7 error.
10A4 = Same as 109C except hangs on black screen right before entering race.

Augusta 3:

109C = Game is "playable" but gameplay graphics are all garbled. Non-gameplay screens appear fine (intro screens, main menu screen, etc.).
109F = Immediate C7 error.
111E = Immediate C7 error.
10A4 = Same as 109C except suffers from slowdown during various actions of gameplay. This slowdown is not present on 109C.

Soul Blazer "bugfix" patch is working! The darkness now covers the entire screen and no longer reveals a one-pixeled size line on the right edge of the screen.

Jurassic Park with Preset ID 10A4 still displays the couple extra pixels around the character when facing downwards and while walking diagonally (up/right).

Preset IDs for the same game but different region will usually be identical in most cases, there are a couple of exceptions definitely, but for the most part, many are the same.

Virtual Console/Preset ID List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PbIPVA4NpFEXs1zk249aR3FSuBTY3r-ajpTq3dP3GnQ/edit#gid=0

EDIT:

And for the record: 1068 does not fix IoG w/ only Canoe slowrom fix?

Illusion of Gaia with Preset ID 1068 and SlowROM check fix but no patch still shows the black bar over the menus. It would appear that the patch is, in fact, required.

As for Jurassic Park, I honestly don't know of any other game that utilizes pseudo horizontal 512 (let alone pseudo-512h transparency) other than Kirby 3. I tested a bunch of other Preset IDs for games that utilize any sort of high resolution (512h) just to make sure if the Kirby 3 ID was the only option. Unfortunately, since they're all true hi-res, they either gave a C7 error or no transparency. I'm beginning to think that the Kirby 3 Preset IDs are the best possible result we can currently achieve without patching.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:09:52 pm by pimpinelephant »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 15, 2018, 11:42:23 am »
I saw no one trying this game, so I gave Winter Gold a go. I tried a version with both an anti NTSC lockout path and a LOROM to NTSC patch and another ROM with just the anti-lockout patch. Both versions have the engine running too fast in the intro, by the point the game gets to the title screen before the music ends and not with it. This is supposed to be how it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvUtqgrbGQ

Other than that, game plays perfect. I haven't seen any graphical glitches of the sort, but I'll keep digging.

EDIT: SRAM works. Kept my character after a circuit. Each event behaves prefectly, though throughout the whole game the top line of pixels flicker and blonk from time to time. Not that bothersome since you're focused on the track or doing tricks, but it's there.

I have a lot of pal games on Canoe and can say the music thing is a side effect from the game now running in NTSC (faster than pal). So this is normal. No big deal in most cases. If the music would be stuttering however, than the wrong patch was applied or bad rom. (or it needs a specific preset ID like Secret of Evermore for example)

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:41 pm »
Here are the last reports from the last test by FireWisp:

-I had a full lockup with black screen after I went Game Over in the first level. After Game Over normaly the Highscore screen should appear. This happened only one time. In order to make sure I deleted reinstalled the game and tried again. Crash did not happen again so far but we should keep an eye on it.
-There are a few rough sounds playing. The Virgin jingle at the beginning and the Rainbow Arts logo sound are very scratchy.
Also the cursor sound it makes when you switch options or enter highscores sound very noisy and scratchy. I don't know if this is just bad sound emulation by canoe.
-In Level 7 I think there was a GFX error in the city BG short after the beginning.

Tested every level in Rendering Ranger with the latest overscan (i.e. until I died in each, I didn't use the cheat patch) and the levels seem ok.
- I did not have any lockups after game over. I died multiple times on levels 1 and 7 in particular. However, when pressing the soft reset combination to go back to the title screen (Down+Select) the game always shows a black screen.
- Didn't notice any rough/scratchy sounds when compared to snes9x using the patched and vanilla roms. There is no cursor sound when entering a high score, but there is one in the main and password screens and it seems ok to me.
- Again, level 7 looks fine.

I think all that's missing is that somebody does a full playthrough (sorry, don't have the time right now).
--------------------------------
Pilotwings (with latest patch): same behavior
- pid BD10: arches work, sound issues after pausing
- pid BA10: cannot interact with arches, good sound

Nichibutsu Arcade Classics 2 - Heiankyou Alien: Vanilla rom works perfectly fine with pid 0000. Please remove from list. Rom info:
No-Intro Name: Nichibutsu Arcade Classics 2 - Heiankyou Alien (Japan)
(No-Intro version  20130701-030720)
CRC32: 65717023
ROM/File SHA-1: C40C9BF482F8BFA2B4E1B27AB41CCCC737ED8004

Sunset Riders: here's a video of the issue, recorded using a potato -please ignore the window reflection (top left) and focus on the middle of the screen: https://streamable.com/d7nza
Notice the yellow blocks that show up randomly, most noticeable towards the end of the video (0:14) https://imgur.com/gallery/A0WNt. Not sure about the explosions. To get there: On the character select screen press Lx5, Rx5. Select your character and then stage 4.
--------------------------------

Finally, I did a few more tests using preset id 6810 and the problems continue in the following games:

- Air Strike Patrol
- American Tail (with last patch -tail3.ips-): You can see the "Licensed by Nintendo" screen and then it goes black.
- Bust-a-Move: Same animation glitches
- Lion King: same minor background issue after you die in lava stage.
- Little Magic: Same. black screen (vanilla), no background (patched).
- Rock n' Roll Racing (patched): Same minor graphic issues.
- Super Family Tennis: this along ASP, I did just for my own amusement. Same problem.
- Super Tetris 2 + Bombliss Gentei Han: Black screen after company logo.
- Top Gear 2: Same. black screen when 2p or password.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:49:48 pm by etiel »

therourke

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 15, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »
Thing I noticed in Front Mission: Gun. Hazard, after playing it in Canoe.

There are minor glitches for sprite explosions. These happen all the way through the game. This video shows the glitching : https://youtu.be/ijvyIbQXGys

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2018, 01:16:08 pm »
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Movie (USA)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wv5cjd

OBJ MSB wasn't setting correctly to $55 on last byte (game loop bug). Because of RTO (?), I think it's supposed to be hidden away. Force it on Canoe - splash logo.

Someone pegged me to fix Gun Hazard saves for Nintendo vc patch? Guessing this'll remove conflict -- ignore checksum routine.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/zeqfxe

Ranger level7 mostly glitches early in stage when entering city. levels 1,2,6 at end. But sounds okay from reports. Except for soft reset? This game doesn't let up. :D

Kunio = advanced clip window techniques. This game is trouble for sure.

Outlander, Mohawk = developing technique to workaround sprite rto.

Jurassic Park = have idea in mind to test with 10A4;

===1
Super Star Wars (USA rev1) trench test - lower bg3 priority
https://www.sendspace.com/file/88g4e5

Use official pid ... looking up. 10EA.

===2
Winter Gold is PAL only? That would kinda suck to fix. Noted.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:16:15 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2018, 02:27:49 pm »
Tested every level in Rendering Ranger with the latest overscan (i.e. until I died in each, I didn't use the cheat patch) and the levels seem ok.
- I did not have any lockups after game over. I died multiple times on levels 1 and 7 in particular. However, when pressing the soft reset combination to go back to the title screen (Down+Select) the game always shows a black screen.
- Didn't notice any rough/scratchy sounds when compared to snes9x using the patched and vanilla roms. There is no cursor sound when entering a high score, but there is one in the main and password screens and it seems ok to me.
- Again, level 7 looks fine.

Ok so the current errors with the last two patches combined is:
-Black screen after doing the soft reset. <-- Please note that this Down+Select combination is not something that the game has, nor is it something the SNES Classic has either, this is a reset hack added by hakchi.
-And there's no cursor sound when entering a high score. <-- is it supposed to be like that or is it a bug?

Thanks for all the other reports, specially the Sunset riders vid.

Someone pegged me to fix Gun Hazard saves for Nintendo vc patch? Guessing this'll remove conflict -- ignore checksum routine.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/zeqfxe

This patch replaces the old working one or do they work together?

Demi reports that Adventures of Yogi Bear now boots with 1068 / 6810. But some of the intro screens are missing. Title screen is empty except PRESS START. Map screen is empty except Yogi's face icon. Game is playable though.

Like I said before I think we need to be careful with this 1068 ID. It has helped boot several games, but almost always the cutscene graphics are missing. We have confirmation that Mystic Ark, Tin Star, and now Yogi Bear have missing cutscene graphics.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:35:03 pm by reyvgm »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 15, 2018, 02:46:38 pm »
===2
Winter Gold is PAL only? That would kinda suck to fix. Noted.

Speaking of pal games, European language versions of Secret of Mana might need a Gamma fix to. Only ID that enables hires is 1016 again, which causes high Gamma in menu. All other Preset IDs that I testet even the official ones according to the DarkAkuma sheet give a C7 error. Though I only testet the German language version.

Tommorow I also will play through Rendering Ranger again with the latest Overscan Patch and give a report.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:04 pm »
I asked PM person for info on changed vc bytes for Front Mission but got no data. So that recent patch is to be used for vc-release only. Working patch is for non-vc. Until I get the byte/patch data and rethink it over.

1068 tells me I have to rewrite graphics engine for those now semi-working games. We can probably ditch the pid once it's done.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »
I asked PM person for info on changed vc bytes for Front Mission but got no data. So that recent patch is to be used for vc-release only. Working patch is for non-vc. Until I get the byte/patch data and rethink it over.

1068 tells me I have to rewrite graphics engine for those now semi-working games. We can probably ditch the pid once it's done.

Don't know what you mean by VC-Release, I guess you mean the VC patch?
Anyway, the bytes changed by the VC patch are these:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5605135/

The game contains a racist message voice clip during the ending, maybe the changes are related to that?

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 15, 2018, 03:07:23 pm »
Ok so the current errors with the last two patches combined is:
-Black screen after doing the soft reset. <-- Please note that this Down+Select combination is not something that the game has, nor is it something the SNES Classic has either, this is a reset hack added by hakchi.
-And there's no cursor sound when entering a high score. <-- is it supposed to be like that or is it a bug?

- Yeah, I think the soft reset/black screen issue or "soft reset not working at all" has happened to me before in a few other games, don't remember which to be honest.  I just thought it was worth noting after testing RR.
- No high score cursor sound: Apparently, it is supposed to be like that, just tested it in snes9x and bsnes with vanilla rom.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 15, 2018, 03:09:24 pm »
- Yeah, I think the soft reset/black screen issue or "soft reset not working at all" has happened to me before in a few other games, don't remember which to be honest.  I just thought it was worth noting after testing RR.
- No high score cursor sound: Apparently, it is supposed to be like that, just tested it in snes9x and bsnes with vanilla rom.

Hmm, ok, so I guess I can mark the game as fixed then?
Did the soft reset issue happen on the patched game WITHOUT the cheat patch?

Sluffy, can you tell me which of the Rendering Ranger patches is the correct one for people to use or do they have to use the last two ones combined? If that's the case, is it possible to make a single patch so it's easier for people that use SFROM Tool?

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »
Hmm, ok, so I guess I can mark the game as fixed then?
Did the soft reset issue happen on the patched game WITHOUT the cheat patch?

Sluffy, can you tell me which of the Rendering Ranger patches is the correct one for people to use or do they have to use the last two ones combined? If that's the case, is it possible to make a single patch so it's easier for people that use SFROM Tool?

I'd say mark as fixed unless someone else wants to do a complete playthrough. The same can be said about SD3 and others... The deeper you dig, the more you find. ;)

- Yes, the soft reset issue happened without the cheat patch.
---------------------------------------------
Here are the patches for Rendering Ranger R2.

First, it is a dual patch:
- japan, found inside this zip file here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/8i266p
- and overscan. Latest here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/fyytsk

and optional:
-cheat: https://www.sendspace.com/file/2hihrm

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2018, 03:35:05 pm »
Here are the patches for Rendering Ranger R2.

First, it is a dual patch:
- japan, found inside this zip file here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/8i266p
- and overscan. Latest here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/fyytsk

Wait, are you sure you used that Japan patch? Because that's from March 8th, and Sluffy released an updated patch on March 10th:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg353562#msg353562

I think I'll wait until Sluffy specifies which are the last patches.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »
Rendering Ranger - canoe aio patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ethd1r

I'd like to see actual Gun Hazard hex bytes changed by that VC patch -- this area Nintendo used for copy protection. I chose a different 1-byte method but heard it crashes when used together.
0300B3  0300B8 6     PAT  00000020   0000002A 11