News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 496570 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2018, 08:06:09 pm »
The volcano area of Soul Blazer works correctly with ID 1068 which is again the Breath of Fire II ID, this is using the vanilla rom

Ooooooooooooooooooo!

Awesome!! Can you also test a couple of other areas that also have the circle of light effect and see if they are fine or if they are broken too?

Here are two .srm saves of the game and how to get to the areas where the light circle is in effect. Convert the save to canoe with SFROM Tool.

Save 1 (https://www.sendspace.com/file/4wgfpt)
Once you load the save, enter the right portal. You'll be in a completely dark area, and the only light should be of a spirit circle, and a torch.

Save 2 (https://www.sendspace.com/file/qpa9s9)
Once you load the save, enter the left portal. You'll immediately see the spirit circle cause some sort of magnifying effect. Go down a bit to the area where there are spikes coming out of the walls, and you'll see the walls disappear when the spirit light passes over the wall.

Thanks for the tests pimpinelephant and Fire-WSP.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:18:10 pm by reyvgm »

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 14, 2018, 08:24:14 pm »
Yay! Great news for SD3. So happy. :D
Sluffy strikes again (and again and again)!

Thanks for the info about your playthrough Pimpinelephant. Slowdown only in menus doesn't sound like a big deal (and they're slow anyway, gosh). I read that for Marvelous, having or not a border makes a difference too regarding that  problem.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:56 pm »
So ID 10A4 (Kirby 3) fixes SA-1 Shougi game. Nice find!

Could you try it on Masters New - Augusta 3 (SA-1) and Jumpin' Derby (SA-1)? Ran golf game through some bsnes tests and Canoe behaves like it's missing a switch. Either that or I try to force it to clear its tile cache decoder.

Was Gundam G-Next ever released on VC? Because it has similar behavior to Augusta 3.

What happens if 10A4 is used on Jurassic Park? Will Alan's graphics up-down walking pixels go away?

As experiment, try 10A4 on Untouchables. Kakinoki Shogi uses exact same mode3 TS16, which Untouchables C7 barfs (0000) or black Ocean logo (1068).

And for super testers, please try 1068 on remaining problem games in reyvgm's list. Non-booting ones. C7/C8 ones. Sound issues. Graphics glitches. I won't complain if it magically fixes something else we don't know it can. Didn't expect Soul Blazer to get knocked out.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:33 pm »
Can anyone try the F-zero (1018, 1019), Mario Kart (10BD, 10BE) IDs on Top Gear 1 and 2 to see if it fixes their issues?

Demi tests:

Mickey's Playtown Adventure - Day of Discovery (Prototype)
Problem: Game loads, shows the "Hi Tech Entertainment" logo, then the screen flashes green and gives C7 error.

You wanted to know if using ID 1068 would help boot the game and the answer is yes it does boot now with that ID.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:15:36 pm by reyvgm »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2018, 09:16:18 pm »
Both of the areas from those save files are working correctly with Preset ID 1068.

Although, I have a quick question.

Save 1:
https://i.imgur.com/K8pGMCI.jpg

Save 2:
https://i.imgur.com/swdg3Ee.jpg

Save 3:
https://i.imgur.com/6z3OTRm.jpg

Notice how on each of those pictures, the darkness does not cover the entire screen horizontally by one pixel. Look closely at the right side edge of the pictures.
Need confirmation: Does this occur on real hardware as well?

Yay! Great news for SD3. So happy. :D
Sluffy strikes again (and again and again)!

Thanks for the info about your playthrough Pimpinelephant. Slowdown only in menus doesn't sound like a big deal (and they're slow anyway, gosh). I read that for Marvelous, having or not a border makes a difference too regarding that  problem.

Yes, using no border will free up the Classic a bit to be able to play the game a bit more smoothly (very weak hardware), but the slowdown is still present, just much less severe for both Seiken Densetsu 3 and Marvelous (much, much better though).

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »
reyvgm both test for Soul Blazer work the way they are supposed to, we have a winner
1068 runs Cho Aniki
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:23:14 pm by Bosco82 »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2018, 09:24:13 pm »

Although, I have a quick question.

Notice how on each of those pictures, the darkness does not cover the entire screen horizontally by one pixel. Look closely at the right side edge of the pictures.
Need confirmation: Does this occur on real hardware as well?

Don't know if it's like that on real hardware, but the same thing happens on Higan. Don't doubt it's a native game problem which was covered up by overscan back in the CRT days.

reyvgm both test for Soul Blazer work the way they are supposed to, we have a winner
1068 runs Cho Aniki

You're shitting me! Wow, nice!

*edit*
Wait, it said Rock n Roll Racing too but you deleted it?

*edit
Wait, Cho Aniki always ran, the issue was a white layer on top of the game, is that what you meant?

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2018, 09:28:31 pm »
Cho Aniki has no white layer anymore, runs correct.
Rock N' Roll still runs the same as it did, SFROM Tool was still applying patches even though i deselected them
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:37:02 pm by Bosco82 »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 14, 2018, 09:33:59 pm »
Side-note: if Rock n' Roll still needs dma patch, does 1068 clear up some misc issues on Character Select screen and Garage? Something with black tiles or disappearing sprites. Pictures were posted here?
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg352822#msg352822

Soul Blazer. Wow. Never noticed that line before. Happens in snes9x too. And ... looks like programming bug to me. 255,255 window = line sliver. Might be able to bugfix this one.

Breath of Fire II = greatness! Whatever Capcom did there, sure helps out!

Mickey's Playtown = right on! now if we could get SA-1 Kirby pid to draw these special C7 games, I don't have to work on them. This morning is turning out to be good. :)

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 14, 2018, 09:46:57 pm »
Bof2's ID fixed the C7 Mystic Ark errors, but still show missing graphics during the cutscenes. 

I wonder, since Mystic Ark is Japanese, would using Bof2's Japanese ID (1069) help fix the issue completely?

Demi tested Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka with 1068 and nothing changed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:53:54 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:44 pm »
Unsure if Breath of Fire II ever had mode3 (256-bit) 16x16 tiles. So far only that SA-1 shougi game (10A4) used it and draws something in Canoe. Have to research list of pids more carefully, because it'd be nice if there's safe pid to reuse.

1069. You never know. Canoe has those odd switches hidden around. Avoiding C7 at least allows a hack to be inserted.

If Untouchtables works with 10A4, use it to draw those other ones (Mickey, Pool, Magic?).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zp07k3
dragon ball z - super saiya densetsu (rev 1) -- complete overscan kit. moves more boxes out of overscan. should satisfy "working" status.

Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka
=== I should check this. Since it doesn't C7, maybe .. drat. Thought 1068 would handle it. Could be Little Magic mode4 16TS.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:13 pm »
Demi tests:

Tin Star
ID 1068 now prevents C7 crash!

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 14, 2018, 10:21:16 pm »
Preset 1068

Untouchables - playable just the ocean logo doesn't show up during startup

Dennis The Menace - ocean logo missing, black title screen but has arrow to go to start and options menu, options and missing logo from options screen, can get to gameplay

Tin Star - missing background during cut scenes

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 14, 2018, 10:24:45 pm »
Please try 1068 on Uniracers or Nosferatu! Here's hoping.

And hoping 10A4 can draw Untouchables.

Dennis (mode3). Tin Star (mode3). Of course. Now makes sense.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »
Preset 1068

Untouchables - playable just the ocean logo doesn't show up during startup

Dennis The Menace - ocean logo missing, black title screen but has arrow to go to start and options menu, options and missing logo from options screen, can get to gameplay

Tin Star - missing background during cut scenes

To test untouchables use ID 10A4 .

Tin Star, ok so the same issue as Mystic Ark.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:46:33 pm by reyvgm »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 14, 2018, 10:44:29 pm »
1068 and 1069 both are the same on Mystic Ark and Tin Star, no difference
Untouchables on 10A4 the same as on 1068 missing Ocean logo during start
Uniracers has the same old glitch on 1068

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2018, 10:46:37 pm »
Demi tests:

Untouchables
Both 1068 and 10A4 do the same thing. No Ocean logo.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2018, 10:59:46 pm »
Oh well. Worth a try. How come Canoe likes that Shougi game? lol. I'll work on some more gamma again before trying some surgery on the mode3 list.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jf5a0d
Soul Blazer USA -- should (bug)fix clip window garbage line. Meaning everybody wins.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:20 pm »
DBZ Supa Saiya looks much better during the normal stuff but now the battle screen stuff is cut off on the bottom again

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2018, 11:07:00 pm »
Battles (forgot about them). Positive feedback so that's not bad. Another day; have other games to chew apart.

Thanks Bosco82, demi, pimpinelephant for running all those tests in the meantime! Certainly helped cut list down some.

===1
Fast look at Kunio. Transparency. Clip windows. BG3 hud on top. That's really nuts. BG3 doesn't draw anything in playfield area; just bottom. And it manages to override everything underneath. Oh no.. feels like Illusion of Gaia again.

And for the record: 1068 does not fix IoG w/ only Canoe slowrom fix?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:14:24 pm by sluffy »