News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 265533 times)

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #500 on: March 14, 2018, 06:56:09 am »
On the compatibility liste, it is said:
- Slightly blurry high-res font. Use Preset ID 1610 to make text clear but at cost of raised gamma (very minor tradeoff).
- The boss on the Ghost Ship has graphical issues (invisible rendering of area/character sprites, until it performs a special attack).
- Slow down when entering storage/character menus while in Snow City Elrand (only while outside).
Use -no-lowlatency on command line to eliminate sound glitches in highres areas (Menu).

For the blurry hi-res, sluffy is working on it.
The slowdown accessign menu, I suppose the hardware is simply not powerful enough (what a shame).
Regarding the boss on the Ghost Ship, did you notice anything? Was it taht annoying?
Overall, for you, the experience was good? I have the fondest memories of this game, so I don't want to replay it in a bad way. :p

As I mentioned earlier, I actually beat the game as recently as about a month or so ago on the Classic (I put in like 70 or so hours in that game! Trying to get all of the Seed weapons/armor is a real pain!). The gamma increase differences have already been mentioned, although I should probably clarify a little bit about the other issues.

There is definitely major slowdown in both gameplay and music (when in menus) in certain areas, not just Elrand (outside). Glass Desert, Gemstone Valley Dorian (Earth God-Beast dungeon), etc. The cursor will be extremely sluggish, and the music will sound like it's coming from hell.
Using -no-lowlatency will reduce the slowdown in menus by a very large percentage (like 75% or so), but the slowdown (much more slight) still occurs in menus at these certain locations.

As for Gorva on the Ghost Ship, I did not notice anything. For me, that fight played out exactly as it should have when I played through the game.

Overall, I thought the game was amazing. The game is so fun that you end up just ignoring the gamma increases. Aside from the above mentioned issues, I did not encounter anything else so it was extremely easy, at least for me, to forget about the issues while playing.

EDIT:

Pilotwings sound tester -- poke spu more often
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hl75i8

I tested the patch with Preset ID 10BD, unfortunately the sound issues still persist, no engine sounds after unpausing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:15:28 am by pimpinelephant »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 14, 2018, 09:45:05 am »
Lots of thanks reyvgm. Hope you're TV comes online (overheated resistor?). Trying to find time to get things going my side. Sounds like people running translations with (un)headered rom errors.

Rendering Ranger - was reported that stage7 had 2 problems (missing red skull and city flicker). So overscan was redone but untested.

Pilotwings: Weird. 10BD causes sound issues? docs sheet says 0000 causes missing sound. 10bd supposed to be okay.. but bad rings. I was targeting 0000 because of rings problem.

Network shutting down for recycle. Have to read last few pages later.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:52:43 am by sluffy »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 14, 2018, 10:10:57 am »
For Pilotwings..

10BA is its official ID, which has no sound problems but issues with rings.
10BD is an alternate ID, where rings work but has sound problems.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #503 on: March 14, 2018, 12:07:06 pm »
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
I saw no sound issues or border issues. I guess whoever reported it might have been talking about the Euro version. I tested the Japanese version and the only issue is this with the spotlight at the beginning, which also happens on SNES9X and Higan.

For the record, someone mentioned this very issue a few years back at byuu's forum. However, it's not actually a bug. The spotlight is supposed to look like that to mimic a similar effect from the anime. Relevant link.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 14, 2018, 01:29:39 pm »
Apart from Seiken Densestu 3, there is also Rudra no Hihou as a hi-res game which somehow works with that Preset ID: but menus are black. I think/hope this can be corrected!

For Rudra actually 1016 only causes the background in menus to go black. Sprites are still visible. It looks exactly like what happended to Seiken Densetsu 3 menu with some of sluffy's test patches, which he called weird behaviour from canoe. So this might actually be related?

What I don't know right now is if 1016 will cause Gamma increase in text boxes everywhere or if it's like SD3 depending on Region (indoor outdoor). If it is the same everywhere it might probably be easier to fix?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:46 pm »
Lots of thanks reyvgm. Hope you're TV comes online (overheated resistor?).

Thanks. Hopefully repairs are not too expensive. I spent a year saving up to buy this TV and it only lasted 4 years -_-

Pilotwings: Weird. 10BD causes sound issues? docs sheet says 0000 causes missing sound. 10bd supposed to be okay.. but bad rings. I was targeting 0000 because of rings problem.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Pilotwings. I assumed ID 0000 was the one everyone used originally that had the sound issues.
Now that Robin specified what the 2 IDs do, for your next patch specify which ID you want people to use and what to test for so that we are all on the same page :P

For the record, someone mentioned this very issue a few years back at byuu's forum. However, it's not actually a bug. The spotlight is supposed to look like that to mimic a similar effect from the anime. Relevant link.

Excellent, so not a bug. I'll remove it from the list then. I guess whoever reported the other issues was probably talking about the Euro version, but I'm not going to test Euro games because the SNESC doesn't really like playing those sometimes.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 14, 2018, 04:54:06 pm »
SD3 (pid 1016) -- gamma
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8dqhm6

Pid forces auto-color bg1 math (hires) and takes 2x. SD3 says sometimes do 1/2 math (optional), which causes normal box colors.

So table found @ cbffc0 and set 1/2 bit. Which could have side-effects (1/2 colors elsewhere). About 15 room "types". Some are for towns, castles, outdoors, dungeon, ???.

===1
https://www.sendspace.com/file/4rgazc
Soul Blazer - volcano gamma test (sd3 method)

Since this got buried and not in docs, repost.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:00:48 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 14, 2018, 05:10:18 pm »
I want to test the Soul Blazer one so bad but I can't :(

For anyone willing to test, here's a save of the area and how to get there (it's really easy and fast).
This is already in canoe format, just add these files to the soul blazer directory found at "var>lib>clover>profiles>0" (use the ftp).
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fbwuxb

To reach the Volcano, just enter the bottom portal. Go all the way down and exit the town to go into the ocean. Then go all the way down and left to enter a new area, then go up to reach the Volcano.

You're testing for this:

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:48 pm »
SD3 Test - the text boxes look the same outdoors and indoors now
Soul Blazer Test - Now the volcano is the darker color
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:47:05 pm by Bosco82 »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 14, 2018, 05:43:28 pm »
My SD3 Test shows the text boxes look the same outdoors and indoors now

Same good or same bad?

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:41 pm »
The Text boxes inside now look like the outside text boxes which is correct now

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 14, 2018, 05:54:18 pm »
Soul Blazer -- whole volcano is dark now? If so, that strongly insinuates that hdma clip window is not setting correctly ... ... ... can't think of any other reason right now. Or Canoe blows up with too many settings. Twilight Zone.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2018, 06:38:28 pm »
Rendering Ranger - was reported that stage7 had 2 problems (missing red skull and city flicker). So overscan was redone but untested.

Tested with latest overscan and I didn't see anything wrong in level 7. The skull shows up and didn't notice any flicker. That was until I died halfway through; the level is ridiculously hard  :-\.

Tested Pilotwings with patch and pid 0000 and got a C8 error.

SD3 (pid 1016) -- gamma
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8dqhm6

Pid forces auto-color bg1 math (hires) and takes 2x. SD3 says sometimes do 1/2 math (optional), which causes normal box colors.

So table found @ cbffc0 and set 1/2 bit. Which could have side-effects (1/2 colors elsewhere). About 15 room "types". Some are for towns, castles, outdoors, dungeon, ???.

Same result as Bosco82, text boxes and gamma look fine now. Same with translated rom.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 14, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »
Soul Blazer Test - Now the volcano is the darker color

You mean dark like the screenshot or is the entire screen dark?

Tested Pilotwings with patch and pid 0000 and got a C8 error.

Don't use 0000. I'm waiting for sluffy to confirm what is the ID he wants people to use.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 14, 2018, 06:44:58 pm »
the volcano is the darker color like it should be as seen in the screen shot, but there is no lighter color around you

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:00 pm »
the volcano is the darker color like it should be as seen in the screen shot, but there is no lighter color around you

Thanks. So it's still incorrect then.

Tested with latest overscan and I didn't see anything wrong in level 7. The skull shows up and didn't notice any flicker. That was until I died halfway through; the level is ridiculously hard  :-\.

If you are willing to test it again, sluffy made a cheat patch that gives you inifinite lives I believe
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg353577#msg353577

Here are the last reports from the last test by FireWisp:

-I had a full lockup with black screen after I went Game Over in the first level. After Game Over normaly the Highscore screen should appear. This happened only one time. In order to make sure I deleted reinstalled the game and tried again. Crash did not happen again so far but we should keep an eye on it.
-There are a few rough sounds playing. The Virgin jingle at the beginning and the Rainbow Arts logo sound are very scratchy.
Also the cursor sound it makes when you switch options or enter highscores sound very noisy and scratchy. I don't know if this is just bad sound emulation by canoe.
-In Level 7 I think there was a GFX error in the city BG short after the beginning.

Passwords to test levels faster:
YYQNSTOJ   Level 2
NXXNXTTI   Level 2 (easy, 7 lives)
NNLILKPD   Level 3
JNHIDKLD   Level 3 (easy, 7 lives)
UHTOSUWH   Level 4
MHNOMUQH   Level 4 (easy, 7 lives)
UJTQSWWH   Level 5
TLSSRIWH   Level 6
GFIQHSLD   Level 7
PLPUOITF   Level 8
URXQW40P   Level 9 (final level)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:56:27 pm by reyvgm »

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2018, 07:30:53 pm »
Here are the last reports from the last test by FireWisp:

That wa smy old report.
Here was the new one. Only Level 7 had issues.

I have tested the entire game with the latest patches.
Thanks to the cheats I was able to play trough the game in hard.
I had no crashes.
There is still the BG problem in Level 7.
Not very far into this level, the city BG is affected.
For a instand the whole BG is corrupted.
Also there is a new problme in the same level.
At the very beginning of this level there is a red skull ghost on the screen.
This has now a thin green line of corruption until it is gone from the screen.

Have not yet tested the Targa version.

Need to test LV7 myself soon again.
And yes there is a cheat patch here.
It gives you unlimited lives and unlimited speacial weapon.
Use it for testing, it helps :)

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2018, 07:33:26 pm »
The volcano area of Soul Blazer works correctly with ID 1068 which is again the Breath of Fire II ID, this is using the vanilla rom

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 14, 2018, 07:39:50 pm »
Pilotwings = was targeting 10BD with sound patch. Realized might be better to future target 10BA since it's official. Given success of using official pids on average. Have to think what could cause ring glitch.

Soul Blazer = thank you. Nice catch. That's a useful pid to hold onto. :)
(So it wasn't hdma but *#@ subscreen addition switch)

Could you try Chou Aniki - Bakuretsu Rantou Hen (Japan) with 1068 also? Has very similar color transparency problem to Soul Blazer. Something about performing special move.

===1 Hidden Post
For Rudra actually 1016 only causes the background in menus to go black. Sprites are still visible.
===> Quite possible. Haven't checked but I can 1st guess this one, based on SD3 color testing.

What I don't know right now is if 1016 will cause Gamma increase in text boxes everywhere or if it's like SD3 depending on Region (indoor outdoor). If it is the same everywhere it might probably be easier to fix?
===> Dark Law says 1/2 subtraction and it shows up 2x anyway. So not so sure. Have to check Law + Rudra more later.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2018, 08:03:22 pm »
Just to clarify something about Preset IDs since so much confusion is floating around.

Special chipset games require a Preset ID. 0000 will not enable it.

As for Pilotwings, we already know the exact differences when used with either Preset ID. If the sound issue is trying to be fixed, then it is ID 10BD, if the Light Plane arch objectives are trying to be fixed, then it is ID 10BA.

ID 0000 = No boot, C7 error. DSP-1.
ID 10BA = Using password to play Lesson 8, flying through the arches does not register (nothing happens).
ID 10BD = Pausing/unpausing during gameplay will mute ambient sounds (engine noise, etc.).

I tested the Soul Blazer patch, and the spotlight effect on the volcano stage still does not appear unfortunately. I used ID 0000.
https://i.imgur.com/IPEeRmq.jpg

I tested the Seiken Densetsu 3 patch, and I can also confirm that the gamma issue appears to be fixed.
Both indoors and outdoors display the same gamma/brightness.
It should be noted that I obviously did not test the entire game, but the patch so far looks great!
Important = Along with ID 1016 and the patch, use -no-lowlatency as otherwise there will be major slowdown in menus at certain areas (Elrand, Glass Desert, etc.). Using that command line argument, the slowdown is still there but vastly reduced (similarly to Marvelous).

I also tested Kakinoki Shougi (SA-1). Results:

ID 109C (Super Mario RPG)  = Displays publisher logo (ASCII), then hangs at black screen, C7 error.
ID 109F (Kirby Super Star)   = Immediate C7 error.
ID 111E (Marvelous)            = Immediate C7 error.
ID 10A4 (Kirby 3)               = Game works and runs correctly. I only played for a short while since it's all in Japanese and I have no clue how to play Shogi.
Important = Along with ID 10A4, use -no-lowlatency as otherwise there will be slowdown during the AI's turn. Using that command line argument, there is no slowdown.

EDIT:

Just read the new posts.