News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 262840 times)

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Canoe official snes emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2018, 11:20:28 am »
Those games are known to go in-game with vanilla. matt! reports that vanilla shows same bug as snes9x 1.51 -- you should see black bars mixed with correctly drawn golf field. Think I posted screenshot of this in back page.

lich first tested with 0x0000 preset id. Black screen. After this, it's unclear to me and lich exactly what steps needed to make generic sa-1 games playable. Because pimpinelephant got lots of new sa-1 games working.

But maybe lich did it correctly and both games freak out about something else in-game.

Unsure. Asking for cross-tester to verify.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2018, 11:30:54 am »
Just in case, remember that if you are using Hakchi2, the ID should be entered as 9D10.

Thx but I knew this. Running Hakchi CE with the integrated sfrom tool, in this case the ID should be written in the correct way (109D"

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2018, 11:35:25 am »
Sorry but could someone make a quick list of all the problematic SA-1 games so I can add the ID info to the doc?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2018, 11:42:15 am »
Super Bases Loaded 2 hangs way too early. Really not many reasons it should.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jdzlh0

crash0 = if this doesn't c7 or show gibberish, no point running crash1-4.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2018, 12:00:30 pm »
Super Bases Loaded 2 hangs way too early. Really not many reasons it should.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jdzlh0

crash0 = if this doesn't c7 or show gibberish, no point running crash1-4.

Tried all of the 5 patches. Same error = black screen

March 04, 2018, 12:14:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Tried "Super Bases Loaded II" without your patches and added super mario RPG preset id "109D/109C"

This time the game "loaded" in a sense, since these glitches that looks like matrix appeared. Reason why I think canoe got it "loaded" is because when I press the reset button on the console it takes me straight back to the main menu as if the game worked, I din't get any C7/C8 errors. Hmmm...

Here is how the glitches looked like, recorded with a potato: https://streamable.com/6co9u
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:14:45 pm by lich »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2018, 12:15:48 pm »
Bases Loaded 2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sjz75a

test1-4 will turn screen purple at farther code checkpoints. If it stays black, you can stop there. Test4 may take ~8 seconds to trigger.

Have you tried Augusta 3 with no patch + id? If it's partly visible, you're doing it right. And I triggered Canoe bug.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2018, 12:22:14 pm »
Bases Loaded 2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sjz75a

test1-4 will turn screen purple at farther code checkpoints. If it stays black, you can stop there. Test4 may take ~8 seconds to trigger.

Have you tried Augusta 3 with no patch + id? If it's partly visible, you're doing it right. And I triggered Canoe bug.

Will try these 4 patches now

"Augusta 3 with no patch + id" as in no ID (0000) or as in no patch but ID?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2018, 12:25:17 pm »
Vanilla + (?) mario id.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2018, 12:44:26 pm »
None of the new Super Base Loaded II patches worked, same error as before.

Tried two different mario rpg PID (109C/109D) with Augusta 3 -> game booted -> entered a game -> these glitches appeared = https://streamable.com/qvmdy

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »
Thanks a lot. You're booting it right. Just doing awfully something different than what I thought.

Wondering if its even "booting" Bases Loaded 2 at all. Must find way to get purple error screen to work. Could try Nosferatu as test since known to boot.

Have to digest everything. Thanks everyone.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2018, 02:32:22 pm »
Thanks a lot. You're booting it right. Just doing awfully something different than what I thought.

Wondering if its even "booting" Bases Loaded 2 at all. Must find way to get purple error screen to work. Could try Nosferatu as test since known to boot.

Have to digest everything. Thanks everyone.

No problem, just glad to help. Yes I'm thinking the same with the "booting" bit with bases loaded 2. Since I don't get any errors when pressing the reset button on my console that was just a guess from my side. Normally when you press the reset button and you get a c7/c8 or any other type of errors it seems like the game hasn't got "booted", often you get these error when getting a black screen, maybe I'm wrong about this though, it appeared weird that I dint get any error when doing a reset compared to 99 % of all the other games where you get a black screen where you would normally get a C7 error.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2018, 04:38:20 pm »
Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kun -- which one is 3rd boss? Docs says crash after.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:40:48 pm by sluffy »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
Here is an old copier patch I found for Super Bases Loaded II, i also included a patch modified with ipsbehead for use with an unheadered rom, the game preset to use is the one for Super Mario Kart which is 10BD. The game works with this patch in canoe.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/208ffiyykus7/BasesII%20Patches.zip

Domino089

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2018, 07:21:20 pm »
Hello everyone, today I got into the task of adding comments in the reyvgm list. In each letter I put games that could be needed in the list and also games that have not been tested according to the community list, so with the help of all of you and especially reyvgm and robin64 share these games not tested here (of course with the authorization of sluffy) and in resetera that according to I understand the user Demi made a confirmation of a game that I requested that was Mickey not Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken and confirmed that it worked, then it would be good that he could check this list and maybe confirm some that he has already had the opportunity to test or maybe he can test some of these, the same for the other users who may have the disposition and the time to perform this task, I also corrected the community list with respect to the list of reyvgm since some games that present problems were marked as working, I know that all working together we can achieve and verify a better compatibility of the SNES games with canoe.

regards

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2018, 07:33:38 pm »
Nice find! Similar to what I was thinking but different.
E0:0000 ==> 80:6000
E0:4000 ==> 80:7000
(huge amounts of these)

Get rid of oddball dsp-1 bank. Add Mario Kart preset id (must be why SBL2 wasn't running earlier test).

Please try "Battle Racers (J)" with Mario Kart id. I think it's same problem as SBL2, at least booting wise. Might be two down thanks to Bosco82!

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2018, 07:35:22 pm »
Here is some useful information by DarkAkuma (in my opinion, the leading authority on such matters) on Preset IDs:

What is a Preset ID?

It's a 2 byte long indexing value that's uniquely assigned by Nintendo to each VC/CC game. It resides in the games sfrom header. Each Preset ID is associated with an exact "game + region + version" number. Using anything other then its intended "game + region + version" with an ID is like trying to place a wrong piece into a puzzle. It might sort of fit/work, but there will likely be some problems. Each Preset ID is believed to tell canoe to use certain code/features specifically meant for the intended game, while often disabling what it doesn't need.

Can I use any games that are not on the list or a Virtual Console with canoe?

Yes. But it's luck if it will work at all or with minor issues. There's a catch all Preset ID (0x0000), that while it fails to load code that games might specifically need, it doesn't load code meant for a specific game that would disrupt other games. Many games are playable with that ID. Some games can use ID's belonging to another with minimal issues. It's kind of my hope to find what ID's work best with such games. I started cataloging the known games just so people would have a basis to try just that. There are however certain games that may never work, due to lack of special chip emulation, SRAM limits, unimplemented feature support, etc. Nintendo made official ROM hacks for many of the games on the list to bypass having to properly code such stuff.

A good rule of thumb in regards to Preset IDs is that if the game uses a special chip (DSP, SA-1, etc.), then it will require a Preset ID that will "enable" the corresponding chipset.

Gun Hazard tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y4oay5

Poke sram to wake up.

I got the same results as everybody else. SRAM issue still persists unfortunately.

Previous Gun Hazard tester which pimpinelephant says booted and reported $30, do saves show up in continue loading menu? Not sure that part was tested.

With that patch, the game boots-up when an already existing SRAM file is present. The "SquareSoft" logo appears, and then some code appears on a black screen for maybe half of a second, then it loops back around (as if it was reset) and shows the "SquareSoft" logo again. This sequence will just keep repeating/looping over and over again.

I took a picture of the code that appears after the "SquareSoft" logo, and I uploaded it to Imgur.
Picture: https://i.imgur.com/PPoPfPL.jpg

I did notice an interesting little difference with the "wake" patch when I tested it though.
When the "SquareSoft" logo appears, it displays for maybe a second or so before transitioning into the next screen.
Normally, the "SquareSoft" logo displays for maybe 3 or 4 seconds before transitioning.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 04, 2018, 07:40:07 pm »
Game runs checksum routine during logo then. Takes 3-4 seconds to verify!

That picture tries to run piracy splash and game internally fails.

Let me try some other idea to follow up on this.. use sloppy brute-force.

edit: Wait. Tested with English patch? I was using straight Japan. Let me check what AGTP did. Could collision.
==> likely none

upd1: Asking for Gun Hazard again.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wa2v44

wake2 = sloppy method to verify continue loading.

crash2 = Your picture clued me in possibly on important Canoe finding. If game boots, pass. If error picture, it'll probably say EFFFCx. Remote chance I crashed Gun Hazard and squaresoft caught it. Hoping here.

wip:
Nosferatu tells us it's writing correct OBJ MSB bits. Which leaves:
- game overwriting later
- game putting sprites wrong location
- mystery ppu setting cause sprites to wrap around

Mickey's Adventures. Maybe spc bug. Or unusual cpu opcode. Green screen though. Waiting on GH crash2.

Little Magic. Following up on own theory about spc sync. Going to try small kludge.

Augusta 3. Very very strange. Sa-1 keeps decoding same $40:0000 data over and over. Back thought.

wip2:
Did some GH simulations. If a BRK or COP gets thrown, square pushes error message. If screen is on though (logo time).

So you may get black instead. But no boot = cpu error. Normally this could throw C7 or black elsewhere.

Theory: BNE $00 triggered GH crash in above picture. Cpu Canoe bug! Just waiting on no boot verification. Sadly not Nosferatu as it wrote correct $55 to OAM.

And this may be perfect test game to assault Canoe crashes!!

upd3: Not so sure about this anymore. But why did GH crash around there?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:49:05 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2018, 09:02:35 pm »
Hello everyone, today I got into the task of adding comments in the reyvgm list. In each letter I put games that could be needed in the list and also games that have not been tested according to the community list, so with the help of all of you and especially reyvgm and robin64 share these games not tested here (of course with the authorization of sluffy) and in resetera that according to I understand the user Demi made a confirmation of a game that I requested that was Mickey not Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken and confirmed that it worked, then it would be good that he could check this list and maybe confirm some that he has already had the opportunity to test or maybe he can test some of these, the same for the other users who may have the disposition and the time to perform this task, I also corrected the community list with respect to the list of reyvgm since some games that present problems were marked as working, I know that all working together we can achieve and verify a better compatibility of the SNES games with canoe.

regards

Problem is that not everyone knows how to test correctly. Some people use old roms that are not verified good dumps, and they present problems that an actual proper dump wouldn't have.
Also, Hackchi2 and Hakchi CE/SFROM Tools work the IDs differently, so there are people that might test some games and don't use the ID, or don't enter it correctly and they report problems that aren't really there.

So, whenever Sluffy makes a working patch, I wait for at least 2 more people to verify it works before I add it to my list as a certainty.

Domino089

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2018, 10:02:41 pm »
Problem is that not everyone knows how to test correctly. Some people use old roms that are not verified good dumps, and they present problems that an actual proper dump wouldn't have.
Also, Hackchi2 and Hakchi CE/SFROM Tools work the IDs differently, so there are people that might test some games and don't use the ID, or don't enter it correctly and they report problems that aren't really there.

So, whenever Sluffy makes a working patch, I wait for at least 2 more people to verify it works before I add it to my list as a certainty.

Ok, but for now the testers who have done so far and verified correctly with these tools could be privately informed so they can test the games not tested to rule out problems in these and secondly those that are supposed and have reported a problem, it does not matter that the process is slower, it is understandable since there are many games

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 04, 2018, 10:20:44 pm »
Little Magic test1 -- does game load better? less crash?
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qz0ra0