News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 495640 times)

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
Re: Canoe official snes emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »
The SRAM wasn't the only issue. When you died, the character or screen would get glitchy. Can you test it out and check if there are any glitches when dying? You need to get to the mine before you can die, so you have to go through the intro.

Oh man, I heard that was an issue, so I went to go test it out and was going to just edit my post, but you beat me to it!

It doesn't appear to glitch out in any sort of way when dying either!

I'm not exactly sure what the glitches looked like when dying, I've never tested this game before, but with Sluffy's patch, dying seemed very normal.
You die, a text box appears that says "Game Over" and then you press Start to begin where you last saved.
There appeared to be no glitchiness or anything that seemed "out of the ordinary". I died about 10 or so times, I'm not exactly sure how often the glitchiness occurs, but I didn't see anything of the sort during any of my deaths.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
Also have a save for Mystic Ark on World 5 before a cutscene.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/46wdlc

Can anyone convert the save, and test it on Canoe? Please first use a clean Japanese ROM with no translation, load the save, go to the house on the upper-left and talk to the old man in the middle. The cutscene will start after he starts talking. If the cutscene crashes the game, please document exactly when it happens and what exactly happens.

*Edit*
Demi tested the save. Here is his report:
When you talk to the old man, scene will change and some purple fingers appear, scene then changes to the town and after 5 dialog boxes it crashes to C7 error.
On emulators, what is supposed to happen after those 5 text boxes is that a cutscene will start. The cutscene is not rendered in-game and my guess that's what is causing the issue.

Here's a vid of how the cutscene plays
https://youtu.be/C6FemEtNYLU?list=PL417E5184F751FC5E&t=13

Oh man, I heard that was an issue, so I went to go test it out and was going to just edit my post, but you beat me to it!

It doesn't appear to glitch out in any sort of way when dying either!

I'm not exactly sure what the glitches looked like when dying, I've never tested this game before, but with Sluffy's patch, dying seemed very normal.
You die, a text box appears that says "Game Over" and then you press Start to begin where you last saved.
There appeared to be no glitchiness or anything that seemed "out of the ordinary". I died about 10 or so times, I'm not exactly sure how often the glitchiness occurs, but I didn't see anything of the sort during any of my deaths.

Perfect. My guess is that the glitch was not caused by you dying, but by the game trying to load the last save, and that is what caused the issues. But now that the SRAM is fixed, dying doesn't cause any problems.

March 03, 2018, 07:07:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok so regarding Mobile Suit Gundam Wing:

I noticed the same behavior in all emulators -bsnes 0.73, snes9x and canoe (sorry I didn't test it on higan)

Start the game, wait until the girl opens her eyes and there is some flickering there. There is also some weird flickering in the main menu screen (green box), the character select screen (on all three "boxes"), and the option screen (everywhere). Character shadows also seem to flicker a lot more in emulators than in original hardware.

In the game, played in original hardware, the flicker in these screens has more like a slow breathing effect, unlike the rest, which is faster and just random. Here's a video of the game running in real hardware: http://youtu.be/lEoqXU68Nr4 - gameplay starts at 0:59

As you can see the health bars at the top of each fight flicker like that even on original hardware so that's not a problem.

It's a very minor issue in my opinion, as it does not affect gameplay, so I can live with it, but maybe you can find a fix.

Edit: I just saw reyvgm and pimpinelephant posts, sorry. That pretty much explains everything, it seems it is a case of crt transparency...although, who knows, maybe sluffy can surprise us?...... again? ;)

Ok I see the problem. In the video you can see the panel on the title screen the color green sort of turning on and off (the 'breathing' effect), but on emulators the colors are static. Hmm, okay I guess this is a valid issue which I don't think it's something caused by CRTs.

The problem is Higan also shows the same issue, so I don't know how could Sluffy even fix it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:55:02 pm by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2018, 08:02:00 pm »
Mobile Suit. idk. Sounds like some color bleeding translucency effect. That seems pretty hard, outside of updating cgram every vblank to simulate pulsating glow. Which not sure if every palette is taken.

If byuu can't emulate it.. thought it would be some trick like Toki Tori waterfalls on GBC.

Front Mission debug2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wpus1r

Checks every bank for sram. Hangs if fail. If boots, please shutdown immediately and report last 2 bytes of sram file. That would be our magic bank #.

Also asking for re-verification that SA-1: Pebble Beach, Augusta 3 do not work with patch. And if indeed fails, verify vanilla boots with no patch. Seems really odd to me blacks out so quickly (skeptical).

About time Ys III does something right. Sram must be formatted correctly for it not to throw a tantrum.

Hamelin. Want to blame hdma. But there's not much reason why that area black bars and others didn't. Since they seem to "share" same code path.

Mickey Proto. More interested in C7 crash since so many of these games throw one. And I can't reliably throw one.

Mystic Ark. Thank you for doing the play work. Boot it up and get a first feel.

If only Nosferatu or Uniracers would drop, since those 2 are my "last" early hanging tormenters. And bugging the bollocks out of me.
== Mistake. Add Soul Blazer.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2018, 09:05:24 pm »
Mobile Suit. idk. Sounds like some color bleeding translucency effect. That seems pretty hard, outside of updating cgram every vblank to simulate pulsating glow. Which not sure if every palette is taken.

If byuu can't emulate it.. thought it would be some trick like Toki Tori waterfalls on GBC.

I'm sure we can all agree you can skip this one if you want, at least for now. I thought it was gonna be much worse, but the issues are very minor and the game is perfectly playable. I guess this goes to show just how vague (and outdated) the old spreadsheet is.

Perhaps once you're done with the early list. you can switch focus to games that have really big issues that really hamper gameplay (freezes/crashes during gameplay, not booting, etc). A few that come to mind are Nangoku Shonen Papuwa, Little Magic, Air Strike Patrol. Whatever you choose is fine, I'm more than happy to help with more tests.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:21:45 pm by etiel »

rhester72

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 03, 2018, 09:30:05 pm »
A few that come to mind are [...] Air Strike Patrol. Whatever you choose is fine, I'm more than happy to help with more tests.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I forgot all about Air Strike Patrol.

Given that Snes9x borks with it...there may be hope.  (As far as I know, basically only higan runs it properly.)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »
By Air Strike Patrol, do you mean the plane shadow issue which was one of higan's major "emulation accuracy" points.
(that is, the developers went to the trouble of doing some color math stuff (I'm guessing) on specific pixels of the background to create a shadow... when they probably could've used a sprite instead :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 03, 2018, 11:23:07 pm »
ASP - where do glitches occur? I'd need a stepthrough on how to get there.

Little Magic - pretty sure it's spc related. Typical low priority for audio.

Thanks for continued testers. Some random debug tests:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5t4ors

Super Bases Loaded 2 -- piracy screen = pass, hang = fail
Mickey's Playtown -- hang = pass, C7 = fail
Nosferatu -- immediate hang = fail, timer countdown = pass

Have to blindly shoot around for awhile.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 04, 2018, 01:01:59 am »
ASP - where do glitches occur? I'd need a stepthrough on how to get there.

By Air Strike Patrol, do you mean the plane shadow issue which was one of higan's major "emulation accuracy" points.
(that is, the developers went to the trouble of doing some color math stuff (I'm guessing) on specific pixels of the background to create a shadow... when they probably could've used a sprite instead :P )

As far as I recall the briefing screen, command hq, and the screen where you see the general at the beginning are completely distorted, you can't really see or read anything at all and basically you have to mash buttons to get to the first level, in which yes....you fly a fighter jet with no shadow.

Maybe Robin can help with a video for this game?

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2018, 01:30:20 am »
Front Mission debug2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/wpus1r

Checks every bank for sram. Hangs if fail. If boots, please shutdown immediately and report last 2 bytes of sram file. That would be our magic bank #.

Ooh! This is ingenious!

I went ahead and tested the game with this patch. I tried without an SRAM file as well as with an SRAM file just to make sure.

Without SRAM file: No boot, as to be expected.
With SRAM file: The game boot-up!

I took a look at the SRAM file that I placed inside the Saves directory, and just as you said, the last two bytes were changed. They were:

30 00

I'm assuming that is referring to $30, which would be normal. I'm not sure what I was expecting... I was preparing myself to see something crazy, I don't know why though. :laugh: I saw it and just went, "... Oh..."

I do find it interesting though that the game at least acknowledges the SRAM file with this patch. Could this be considered progress?

I also wanted to mention that, like I said earlier, the game actually booted-up, which usually means a new and empty SRAM file. When I checked the SRAM file after extracting it from the Classic, it still contained my save file that I had previously saved onto it from before inserting it into the Classic. This is most likely specific to this debug patch, but I felt like I should at least mention it.

About time Ys III does something right. Sram must be formatted correctly for it not to throw a tantrum.

Huh, interesting! So that's what the issue was!

JackMonty

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2018, 04:01:22 am »
Could the same logic that is being applied to Front Mission also be used to fix the issue with The Slayers not saving?

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2018, 09:29:06 am »
Gun Hazard tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y4oay5

Poke sram to wake up.

Does mystic ark have animated cutscenes in other chapters?

Slayers. If game crashes when loading save, that's very complicated issue. If not detecting save, that's fair game.

edit:
Super Bases Loaded 2 tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/cex8c3

dsp-1 mapping. if fails, please try previous debug piracy test.

Still asking for sa-1 augusta, pebble beach retrial. Make sure vanilla game boots if fails.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:14:50 am by sluffy »

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2018, 09:59:10 am »
What exactly was the error with Cacoma Knight (JAP)? I tried sluffys jap patch and I couldn't see any "status bar" errors. Haven't played the game before but everything seemed to run fine during the 10 minutes testing.

*Cacoma Knight (JAP) update*

Then I guess we can put this game aside since it seems to be WORKING, good job!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:09:33 am by lich »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2018, 10:05:22 am »
When Cacoma goes in-game, the stage #, points, timer bar should be painting of random pixels (bad). If it's readable, pass. Green. No need to try more.

I'm sure it should've worked. Person who asked for port didn't say anything again. Typical. :)

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2018, 10:07:33 am »
Still asking for sa-1 augusta, pebble beach retrial. Make sure vanilla game boots if fails.

Don't know what I need to do except applying your ips patches. You said something about mario fix/preset id. If I knew, I would gladly test.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 04, 2018, 10:12:06 am »
Told that most SA-1 games need Super Mario RPG preset ID to run. Dream Land 3 needs other official ID from DarkAkuma. Not sure what else exactly needs to be set.. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

Thanks again.

edit:
Oh. Forgot. Does Pilotwings plane demo (#4) crash early? Or does Canoe auto-cheat this one? Because Ballz 3D says working.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2018, 10:22:47 am »
Ok got it, I'll give it a try.

Your new patch (GUN HAZARD)  didn't solve the error that internal saves don't save. Played the first mission and was heading towards my second but tried making a save slot called "test", I quit the game and tried to open this save slot by choosing "continue" on the main menu. Save slot had vanished...

March 04, 2018, 10:30:06 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok got it, I'll give it a try.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:30:40 am by lich »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2018, 10:46:51 am »
Test results:

Super Bases Loaded 2
debug 1 (piracy)= fail. black screen

Mickey's Playtown
debug 1= fail -c7 after hi tech logo
debug 2= pass -black screen after hi tech logo
debug 3= pass -black screen after hi tech logo

Nosferatu
debug 4= pass -boots, timer countdown, crashes when moving
debug 5= pass -boots, timer countdown, black screen when moving

Gun Hazard latest tester
nothing changed, not sure what else to test here, saves don't work

Super Bases Loaded 2 tester= black screen

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 04, 2018, 11:01:47 am »
Lots of strike outs. Previous Gun Hazard tester which pimpinelephant says booted and reported $30, do saves show up in continue loading menu? Not sure that part was tested.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 04, 2018, 11:11:36 am »
Since I didn't know about sa-1 games needed mario patches/id's I don't even know if it's the Mario RPG Japan or USA vc/pcm/Preset ID needed for these two games.

Masters New - Harukanaru Augusta 3: applied your patch -> Applied preset ID: 109D -> game started but when entering the game = mad glitching

Pebble Beach no Hatou New - Tournament Edition: applied your patch -> Applied preset ID: 109D -> game started but when entering the game = mad glitching

Also tried DarkAkumas Super Mario RPG (Japan) VC/PCM patches to both games combined with 109D as preset ID, this resulted in both games not even starting (black screen)

**update: tried patches to both games and added
"Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars" preset ID "109C" instead of "109D". Both games started but when entering a game same mad glitchiness started.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:24:41 am by lich »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 04, 2018, 11:12:58 am »

Does mystic ark have animated cutscenes in other chapters?

Haven't played mystic ark entirely, but according to the people that reported the crash, it only happens in World 5. And there are apparently 3 cutscenes in total in that world. If you manage to fix this first crash, then I'll get saves for the other cutscenes too.

What exactly is it that you're asking about "sa-1 augusta, pebble beach retrial"?

March 04, 2018, 11:19:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Since I didn't know about sa-1 games needed mario patches/id's I don't even know if it's the Mario RPG Japan or USA vc/pcm/Preset ID needed for these two games.

Masters New - Harukanaru Augusta 3: applied your patch -> Applied preset ID: 109D -> game started but when entering the game = mad glitching

Pebble Beach no Hatou New - Tournament Edition: applied your patch -> Applied preset ID: 109D -> game started but when entering the game = mad glitching

Also tried DarkAkumas Super Mario RPG (Japan) VC/PCM patches to both games combined with 109D as preset ID, this resulted in both games not even starting (black screen)

Just in case, remember that if you are using Hakchi2, the ID should be entered as 9D10.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:19:52 am by reyvgm »