News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 481598 times)

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Canoe official snes emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2018, 07:14:08 pm »
Front Mission: Gun Hazard debug sram tester. Must have a valid save game already to "work"
https://www.sendspace.com/file/e6sdtu

boot = pass
hang = fail

Took out copy protection (rom modification)
Code: [Select]
copy protection -- checksum
$C3/00B2 AB          PLB                     A:3BEC X:0000 Y:0000 D:0000 DB:EF S:161B P:envmxdiZC HC:0384 VC:244 FC:49 I:00
$C3/00B3 CF AE FF 00 CMP $00FFAE[$00:FFAE]   A:3BEC X:0000 Y:0000 D:0000 DB:82 S:161C P:eNvmxdizC HC:0416 VC:244 FC:49 I:00
$C3/00B7 D0 01       BNE $01    [$00BA]      A:3BEC X:0000 Y:0000 D:0000 DB:82 S:161C P:envmxdiZC HC:0462 VC:244 FC:49 I:00
===> pass
$C3/00B9 6B          RTL                     A:3BEC X:0000 Y:0000 D:0000 DB:82 S:161C P:envmxdiZC HC:0480 VC:244 FC:49 I:00

edit: Very much liking color code system on workshop sheet.

edit2:
Cu-On-Pa (japan) tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/aolu42

Fire late nmi.

edit3:
Should be final Daffy Duck tester/build
https://www.sendspace.com/file/tfdbfo

Spin wait for nearby irq, nmi. Daffy likes to turn on/off nmi at bad times (irq,nmi boundaries). So Canoe / Snes9x 1.51 both tend to ignore exact moment in different ways.

edit4:
Super Play Action Football (USA) tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5vlox3

OpenBus strikes again

edit5:
matt! confirms Augusta3 + Pebble Beach bugs = snes9x 1.51. So no screenshots needed. Almost have these fixed easily already. :o

edit6:
Masters New - Augusta 3 (Japan rev1) tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pevqff

Transfer $800 size packs to sa-1.

edit7:
Pebble Beach New - Tournament Edition (Japan) tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6cq6a6

$800 size packs

edit8:
No worries about American Tail. I think I understand (basics) what's wrong. Tester3 probably shows nintendo text. Then black screen. No C7. Like some Ocean games.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:16:44 pm by sluffy »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »
Cu-On-Pa is playable now but the cursor on the menu and the name input screen skips lines, on the first screen you can only select the first and third save slots, the name enter screen skips rows of letters. The pause menu does the same thing. When you select a letter on the naming screen it comes up double.

Super Play Action Football - Works correctly
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:10:38 pm by Bosco82 »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2018, 10:46:13 pm »
Here's some requested info from Demi from resetera:

American Tail - Fievel Goes West (vanilla rom, no patches)
CRC: EEA38AED
Game loads the border, meaning it loaded the game, but that's it. Just a black screen, no intros, no logos. No C7 or C8 errors.

----

Nosferatu
CRC: DE762764

Tested his latest patch (3 debug patches). Left each game running for about 30 seconds in-game time. No crashes.

Patch 1: No crash standing still.
Patch 2: Immediate crash when moving. No crash when standing still.
Patch 3: No crash on movement or standing still.

Video of the boss area with the glitched enemies: https://youtu.be/qNe0AidkvdE

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2018, 10:51:53 pm »
New Cu-On-Pa tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/craxvt

Going to leave Tail alone for awhile. So no worry here. List got full fast so other easier stuff to cherry pick.
(I really should start on Top Gear. Might need to drink something strong for those 2)

Holy crap? Nosferatu didn't trigger crash standing still. WTH? Likely going to need another 8-10 debug cases. Must study this thoroughly. Watching video for more clues.

And if anyone's feeling adventurous, wouldn't mind screenshots for games that don't have one on sheet. Mainly "garble" ones. Even if I didn't ask for one specifically. Mickey's Playtown says c7 - ofc where? Trying to solve what else causes C7.

edit: Thanks for video. It actually kinda matches what's swirling in head about sprite size problems, this game anyway. More solid proof. That's well hidden bug. Need to put out more probes. Something in debuggers is not telling me.

Also thanks for confirming Football. Hopefully Cu passes green light.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:01:15 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2018, 10:59:46 pm »
I plan on testing all those obscure games that don't load to document exactly what happens when I select them. But first I want to get Mystic Ark done. I'm on world 3 now. I'll get you saves as close to the alleged cutscenes that crash the game.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2018, 11:07:52 pm »
Mystic Ark. I remember playing that one to Chapter 4. But couldn't get over difficulty curve. Couldn't finish Mystic Quest because I under-level all time in RPGs. And that's supposed to be easy.

Thanks for maintaining that list and recruiting help. Want to finish all easy crap, because harder ones can flame broil the neurons. It's bad sign when they start falling through the mental gaps.

I know everyone wants popular ones fixed. I would if I could do within reason. Had Robin64 not brought up Raiden Trad (simple game), a decent amount would've been sitting much longer.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2018, 11:19:04 pm »
Forget about what people want and just do the ones you find interesting or the ones you think you can solve easily. To me it's more exciting to know games are being 'fixed' rather than just having a certain popular ones making you crazy and giving up :P

------

Hamelin no Violin Hiki video courtesy of Demi

Black lines appear in the background when you "scroll" the window in some levels (eg. climbing, jumping).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c65QDaWJzVg

Glitch in the example is happening just on the 3rd screen to the right of where you start.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:58:42 pm by reyvgm »

rhester72

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2018, 08:57:12 am »
@sluffy - Dungeon Master using DSP-2...does that mean that canoe will never be able to play it properly?  Sorry for bugging you, it's just one that has a special place in my heart.  :)

I'm also quite curious whether the EA Sports games (that all seem to lock up in the same manner) all share the same problem/fix...

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2018, 11:36:12 am »
Ok, a few tests:

edit3:
Should be final Daffy Duck tester/build
https://www.sendspace.com/file/tfdbfo

For some reason I noticed a bit more flickering this time, specially in the first level (e.g. fighting the two birds at the end of the first screen), nothing too bad though. I think the previous tester is good enough and there's no need to spend more time on Daffy so you can concentrate on other games.

New Cu-On-Pa tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/craxvt

Works perfectly, no cursor issues, all save slots work, no double letters. Tested both the japanese and translated roms.

Front Mission: Gun Hazard debug sram tester. Must have a valid save game already to "work"
https://www.sendspace.com/file/e6sdtu

Had save on the system. Did not boot (black screen). Again, tested in vanilla and translated roms.

upd:
incoming debug tests for Ys 3 --- check sram mapping behavior
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ujqapf

boot = pass
c7,hang = fail

Debug 1: fail (black screen)
Debug 2: pass. Just for the sake of it made a save file on this one. When loading the save the game went nuts and the screen was filled with a rainbow of garbage. ;)
Debug 3: pass
Debug 4: pass
----------------------
Sluffy, if you have the time could you look into Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel?

This game is kinda like the "sequel" to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fighting Ed, so it could be an easy fix. It's also a much better game imo and there is also a translation patch.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:56:21 am by etiel »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2018, 11:54:41 am »
Mystic Ark. I remember playing that one to Chapter 4. But couldn't get over difficulty curve. Couldn't finish Mystic Quest because I under-level all time in RPGs. And that's supposed to be easy.
Under-leveling might be it.
Mystic Quest is pretty easy if you stop to kill everything. Though I think years ago I tried to avoid unnecessary encounters and didn't find it too terribly hard. I think nearly every enemy has a weakness to something, either one of the weapons or one of the spells. Final boss was kind of difficult if you aren't over-leveled and don't exploit it can be killed in one hit (for the challenge).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2018, 12:54:56 pm »
Doc sheet:
Exhaust Heat II = ST010
Hayazashi Soughi 1 = ST011. No one's reversed this Seta chip.
Hayazashi Soughi 2 = ST018. A RISC chip. :o
Momotarou Dentetsu Happy = SPC7110
Super Play Action Football = latest confirmed okay by Bosco82

Hamelin = will check next.

Dungeon Master = have to convert dsp-2 C code to sa-1 65816. maybe expand 128KB SRAM for workspace.

ST-010 = same

Daffy Duck = that's ... actually surprising. I'm a "perfectionist" if I think I can get it fully done. We're close so still interested in taking some more swings at it. Done that enough already. haha. Later later after I hit roadblocks with other ones. Test3 = Almost fixed with very tiny lingering issues (30 minutes = wow, expected more blinks).

And well, likely need this fix again for some other game.

Gun Hazard = Canoe is not correctly loading sram from disk. Very specific condition I hacked in when game starts. Look for Gun Hazard header. -Or- they loaded it to a different sram bank ... huh. Have to check all of them then. But game sees a blank file. Likely pimpinelephant's original repeated thoughts are true.

Ys 3:
- debug1 = no (s)ram at 70:8000. So not mirrored here. Should be ROM then.
- debug2 = (s)ram at 70:0000. Something writable.
- debug3 = 70:8000 not writable. So doesn't matter.
- debug4 = verifies sram at 70:0000. Not normal ram.

This game uses 70:8000 for sram. But previous patch to flip 70:0000 did not work (Robin64). So game is freaking out about something else on top of this. Interesting.

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel = report says flicker? Not enough information. Does bsnes v073+ work correctly? Because it has that flicker special effect but more noticeable than snes9x 1.51. Or completely different problem?

This is not Power Rangers bug, from code side. So looking for more clues.

All EA sport games very similar. Think it's hanging on spu sync. Glug.

Drift Racer 1/2 = at first thought cpu bug. But noticed dsp-1 does math. So probably shoot this way.

Cu-On-Pa = yay. Didn't know it was translated. I'm slow. Gets green highlighter.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:14:24 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2018, 02:58:02 pm »
From Demi

Mickey's Playtown Adventure
CRC: 53524952

Game loads, shows the "Hi Tech Entertainment" logo, then the screen flashes green and gives C7 error.

Its worth mentioning this is a prototype game, so it might not be worth dedicating time to.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2018, 04:02:23 pm »
edit6:
Masters New - Augusta 3 (Japan rev1) tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pevqff

Transfer $800 size packs to sa-1.

edit7:
Pebble Beach New - Tournament Edition (Japan) tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6cq6a6

$800 size packs

None of these two games work when applying your patches. Blackscreen on both games and when pressing reset button on the snes I get a c7 error in both games.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2018, 04:38:48 pm »
They're both sa-1 games. Need that mario id plus whatever tricks.

Ys 3 tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c8oz3t

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »
I was going to test a couple of these last night, but unfortunately I got a bit sidetracked, so I didn't get to them until this morning. I see etiel already tested all of these, but I might as well note what I saw as well.

Cu-On-Pa SFC:
Holy cow... This game is addicting! I went in to just test out the patch, but I didn't put it down until I remembered why I was playing it in the first place.
The patch appears to work perfectly, I saw no issues after about 30+ minutes of playing.

Ys III:
I got the same results as etiel.
1 - No boot
2 - Boot
3 - Boot
4 - Boot

Ys 3:
- debug1 = no (s)ram at 70:8000. So not mirrored here. Should be ROM then.
- debug2 = (s)ram at 70:0000. Something writable.
- debug3 = 70:8000 not writable. So doesn't matter.
- debug4 = verifies sram at 70:0000. Not normal ram.

This game uses 70:8000 for sram. But previous patch to flip 70:0000 did not work (Robin64). So game is freaking out about something else on top of this. Interesting.

That's really interesting with the SRAM. My memory mapping knowledge is extremely basic, but isn't SRAM also stored in a couple of the upper banks as well for LoROMs? Probably a dumb question, haha!

Gun Hazard:
Same. No boot, sits at a black screen.

Gun Hazard = Canoe is not correctly loading sram from disk. Very specific condition I hacked in when game starts. Look for Gun Hazard header. -Or- they loaded it to a different sram bank ... huh. Have to check all of them then. But game sees a blank file. Likely pimpinelephant's original repeated thoughts are true.

Huh, now THAT's interesting! Your findings are much, much better than mine ever were! So then it would appear that what happens is:
Boot-up game -> Canoe loads SRAM -> Canoe either thinks it's a bad SRAM file, or it loads it into the incorrect mapping location -> Game sees no SRAM, creates a new one

I'm going to assume that Canoe just loads the SRAM to the same location depending on Hi/LoROM. Is it possible that Gun Hazard looks in a different location? I've heard that some games mirror SRAM to $10-$1F, but I have no clue if that's true or not, just something I read on the internet :laugh:.
I'm probably completely off-base for all of this though.

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel = report says flicker? Not enough information. Does bsnes v073+ work correctly? Because it has that flicker special effect but more noticeable than snes9x 1.51. Or completely different problem?

This is not Power Rangers bug, from code side. So looking for more clues.

I went ahead and tested this game as well. I spent about 20+ or so minutes playing on each of Canoe and Higan.

First of all... Damn! This game is amazing! I remember playing this game years ago, and it's just as fun today as it was back then.

As for the testing, I didn't notice any difference at all. Both display "flickering" but I'm 99.99% sure that it's intended behavior in order to simulate a futuristic projection screen. Shadows, lifebars, character select, everything appeared to be identical.

I should mention that I saw the same thing you did with the "flickering" special effect on BSNES only, not Canoe. It's definitely a bit more... pronounced I guess would be the word, than compared to Canoe. They look identical most of the time, but occasionally the "flicker" effect will be much more pronounced and noticeable for one flicker, then it returns to looking identical as Canoe. Again, this was on Higan only, not on Canoe. So it would appear to me that Endless Duel actually runs a tiny bit better on Canoe than on Higan... Unless Higan is the correct way to display it? Either way, this is incredibly minuscule for whichever case it may be.

Also, it should be mentioned that the list displays this game twice with a different status for each.
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel | Issues
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel | Working

EDIT:

New Ys 3 test patch. Will test it out.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2018, 05:03:29 pm »

I should mention that I saw the same thing you did with the "flickering" special effect on BSNES only, not Canoe. It's definitely a bit more... pronounced I guess would be the word, than compared to Canoe. They look identical most of the time, but occasionally the "flicker" effect will be much more pronounced and noticeable for one flicker, then it returns to looking identical as Canoe. Again, this was on Higan only, not on Canoe. So it would appear to me that Endless Duel actually runs a tiny bit better on Canoe than on Higan... Unless Higan is the correct way to display it? Either way, this is incredibly minuscule for whichever case it may be.

Also, it should be mentioned that the list displays this game twice with a different status for each.
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel | Issues
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel | Working

See the thing with people reporting flickering as a problem is that a lot of people don't know that older systems used flickering or rapidly turning on/off something to give it the appearance of being transparent. The transparency effect was added by the CRTs, something modern LCD panels do not do accurately. Another thing is that we don't know what people are using to play the SNESC. The SNESC is intended to be played on a TV, but if someone is using a PC monitor with some kind of different refresh setting or whatever, then the flickering effect will look broken.

So, pimpinelephant, if the flickering is the same in Higan and Canoe, then we can pretty much say that Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W is actually perfectly playable, right?

And about the names. Ok so Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel doesn't really exist, the correct name is Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel. Problem is you're looking at the community doc which anyone could edit.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »
Ys III now saves and the save loads.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2018, 05:27:35 pm »
Ok so regarding Mobile Suit Gundam Wing:

I noticed the same behavior in all emulators -bsnes 0.73, snes9x and canoe (sorry I didn't test it on higan)

Start the game, wait until the girl opens her eyes and there is some flickering there. There is also some weird flickering in the main menu screen (green box), the character select screen (on all three "boxes"), and the option screen (everywhere). Character shadows also seem to flicker a lot more in emulators than in original hardware.

In the game, played in original hardware, the flicker in these screens has more like a slow breathing effect, unlike the rest, which is faster and just random. Here's a video of the game running in real hardware: http://youtu.be/lEoqXU68Nr4 - gameplay starts at 0:59

As you can see the health bars at the top of each fight flicker like that even on original hardware so that's not a problem.

It's a very minor issue in my opinion, as it does not affect gameplay, so I can live with it, but maybe you can find a fix.

Edit: I just saw reyvgm and pimpinelephant posts, sorry. That pretty much explains everything, it seems it is a case of crt transparency...although, who knows, maybe sluffy can surprise us?...... again? ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:12:21 pm by etiel »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »
See the thing with people reporting flickering as a problem is that a lot of people don't know that older systems used flickering or rapidly turning on/off something to give it the appearance of being transparent. The transparency effect was added by the CRTs, something modern LCD panels do not do accurately. Another thing is that we don't know what people are using to play the SNESC. The SNESC is intended to be played on a TV, but if someone is using a PC monitor with some kind of different refresh setting or whatever, then the flickering effect will look broken.

So, pimpinelephant, if the flickering is the same in Higan and Canoe, then we can pretty much say that Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W is actually perfectly playable, right?

And about the names. Ok so Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel doesn't really exist, the correct name is Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel. Problem is you're looking at the community doc which anyone could edit.

Oh, that's a really great point! I forgot that we are dealing with an almost 30-year old console. Definitely an effect that was designed with CRT televisions in mind.

And yes, Endless Duel appeared to be identical in both Higan and in Canoe. The occasional difference in "flicker" can most likely be attributed to my TV/PC monitor's refresh rates.
For the duration that I played, the game appeared to be perfectly playable with everything working as intended.

EDIT:

I noticed the same behavior in all emulators -bsnes 0.73, snes9x and canoe (sorry I didn't test it on higan)

Start the game, wait until the girl opens her eyes and there is some flickering there. There is also some weird flickering in the main menu screen (green box), the character select screen (on all three "boxes"), and the option screen (everywhere). Character shadows also seem to flicker a lot more in emulators than in original hardware.

In the game, played in original hardware, the flicker in these screens has more like a slow breathing effect, unlike the rest, which is faster and just random. Here's a video of the game running in real hardware: http://youtu.be/lEoqXU68Nr4 - gameplay starts at 0:59

As you can see the health bars at the top of each fight flicker like that even on original hardware so that's not a problem.

It's a very minor issue in my opinion, as it does not affect gameplay, so I can live with it, but maybe you can find a fix.

Oh, ok! With that video, I can see what the issue is now. It's supposed to be a "breathing" effect. I thought the "flickering" was intended in order to look like some sort of projection screen or something. :laugh:

EDIT 2:

Ys 3 tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c8oz3t

I just tested out that patch. I got the same results as Bosco82.

The Save/Load menus are no longer glitched to all hell. They now display properly.
The game now saves correctly. I saved in multiple different slots.
The game also now loads properly as well. I loaded save files from multiple different slots.

Sluffy has done it again!

Also, 15 save slots? Why is there so many? :o
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:06:34 pm by pimpinelephant »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »

Edit: I just saw reyvgm and pimpinelephant posts, sorry. That pretty much explains everything, it seems it is a case of crt transparency...although, who knows, maybe sluffy can surprise us?...... again? ;)

Not a problem. As you read in my explanation above, it's something that emulators cannot reproduce because the transparency effect was done by not only the 'blurriness' of the CRT, but also its refresh rate. And on the video you posted, notice how not only is the guy playing the game on a CRT, but the video is not even direct feed. It's recorded with another camera (who knows on what resolution), and then uploaded to youtube who can also introduce compression that further changes what we could be seeing.

When I started playing on emulators in the 90's I noticed that a lot of games which I thought had transparent sprites, were actually just flickering really really fast, and/or had a checkerbox effect. I thought the emulation was wrong or something, but then I learned that both techniques were done to get transparency when played on a CRT.

I just tested out that patch. I got the same results as Bosco82.

The Save/Load menus are no longer glitched to all hell. They now display properly.
The game now saves correctly. I saved in multiple different slots.
The game also now loads properly as well. I loaded save files from multiple different slots.

The SRAM wasn't the only issue. When you died, the character or screen would get glitchy. Can you test it out and check if there are any glitches when dying? You need to get to the mine before you can die, so you have to go through the intro.