News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 202738 times)

Robin64

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #1840 on: April 22, 2018, 05:24:40 am »
Tested and happy with audio for Space Megaforce, ESPN Baseball Tonight, Frantic Flea, Kat's Run, and Uchuu Race.

UFO Kamen's music is fixes, but some sound effects still crackle. Notably, the main character's jumping sound, it pops once every single time. It's minor and many might not notice. Might not even be fixable. See what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVcRq_FkhPU
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:33:11 am by Robin64 »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 22, 2018, 09:14:21 am »
Finally! Audio games are off most people's wanted lists now.

Super Aleste (japan, europe)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/1pYWNmZi3S5zsW8HrQBsiw

Backport Megaforce audio changes
- Europe = region patched

Guess I'll have to think of another way to do dsp1 28H vector calculations.

I wonder if people would rage less (harder?) if all this work was for different official emu hardware platform: Megadrive or Atari Jaguar / 2600 / 5200 / 7800 or IBM PC 386?

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 22, 2018, 09:14:31 am »
Thinking about it, Canoe's interpolation algorithm may be boosting audio. So pre-reducing volume may end up getting "normalized" down the line to near max. Wash out.
This made me remember that canoe has a command line volume option and some of the bundled games have volume at less than 100. I wonder if it's to avoid similar cases of overflow/clipping?

So, could somebody please test Plok (or another recent fixed sound game) unpatched with lower volume and see if the pops/clipping still happens?

--volume PERCENT
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:30:14 am by matt! »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 22, 2018, 09:22:07 am »
What cheats would volunteer need to speedrun Daffy Duck?

And have another left field idea about hires gradient menu blending for Rudra. Long shot but I'll brew it up.

Haven't got to Lufia2 yet but will. And BS Zelda ... formalizing whacked out idea about mirroring Hirom to Lorom 4MB SA-1, taking advantage of Canoe's specific sa-1 memory map, and such.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 22, 2018, 09:27:11 am »
Just in case it's of any importance, I just noticed a buried moderator-approved message pertaining to Battle Racers. I always forget about that delay. :P

You are able to proceed through all of the races however it kills the background music after race 1.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: April 22, 2018, 09:42:24 am »
(sound of 1 hacker worldwide saying d'oh)

Battle Racers (10bd, japan, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/4ogef6

Alternate wipe method. No speaker mode so guessing (like usual).

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: April 22, 2018, 09:47:13 am »
This made me remember that canoe has a command line volume option and some of the bundled games have volume at less than 100. I wonder if it's to avoid similar cases of overflow/clipping?

So, could somebody please test Plok (or another recent fixed sound game) unpatched with lower volume and see if the pops/clipping still happens?

--volume PERCENT

Does a list of the command lines used by the preinstalled SNES/NES Mini games exist somewhere? I think that could be really helpful information in tweaking other games that might be similar.

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: April 22, 2018, 10:15:13 am »
I tried the --volume function on Plok ages ago, it does nothing for the popping. There's also an offset in the .sfrom header which is for volume, and that didn't help either.

These are all of the commands listed in Canoe's --help output, but most of them don't do anything despite saying they do.

Code: [Select]
--version                             Show version then exit
-output-dir DIRECTORY                 Specify where output files are written
-help                                 Display this help screen
-re 07                                Resume state and play all .inputs in turn.
-resume FILENAME.break                Load an emulator state snapshot from specified file
-replay FILENAME.inputs               Process recorded user inputs in the specified file
-replay-all                           Continue processing all .input files in sequential order
-rollback-mode MODE                   Start in rollback mode (0=Idle 1=Record 2=Replay)
-rollback-snapshot-period FRAMES      Save a rollback snapshot every N frames (60 for 1 second)
-rollback-input-dir DIRECTORY         Specify where rollback files are read from
-rollback-output-dir DIRECTORY        Specify where rollback files are written
-rollback-discard-data                Discard input rollback data when starting recording instead of appending to it
-during SECONDS                       Exit after given guest seconds elapsed
-during-frames FRAMES                 Exit after given guest ticks
--save-screenshot-on-quit PATH        Save host screenshot before exiting
--volume PERCENT                      Set the master volume
-no-audio                             Do not open nor output audio
-boost-fx FACTOR                      Multiply SuperFX clock speed
-no-lowlatency                        Render in a separate thread, to accommodate "slow" titles.
-lowlatency                           Render on the main thread to reduce input latency.
-no-cpurender                         Use the old GPU code for rendering
-cpurender                            Use the CPU for rendering
-filter INTEGER                       Activate a post-process graphics filter (0=None 1=OpenGL 2=Scanlines 3=CRT)
-magfilter INTEGER                    Specifies the magnification filter (0=Nearest 1=Linear 2=HorizontalLinear 3=AntiAliasedNearest). The default is nearest with -filter 1 and linear with -filter 2 or -filter 3.
--wait-transition-fd EVENTFD          Specifies the event fd to read before drawing the first frame.
--start-transition-fd EVENTFD         Specifies the event fd write to when starting the exit to menu transition.
--finish-transition-fd EVENTFD        Specifies the event fd to write when the exit to menu transition is finished.
--transition-to-menu-sprite FILENAME  Specifies the menu transition sprite sheet to use.
--transition-to-menu-at-exit          Plays the transition animation when exiting.
--transition-from-menu                Plays the transition animation before starting.
-fp INTEGER                           Activate Flash/Patterns compensation filter (0=None, 1=VcPhoto 2-5=Armet:Additive,Blend,MonoAdditive 100=auto)
-glFinish                             Graphics option to reduces latency on mali400, but may degrade framerate
-no-glFinish                          Opposite of the above option, which became default as of 1.9.1201
-render-soft                          Use SDL software renderer.
-show-minimized                       Create window in background
--use-decorative-frame PATH           Show a decorative frame using the given file, minus the extension
--decorative-frame-hue                Automatically tint the decorative frame, using the game's output
--decorative-frame-saturation         Automatically desaturate decorative frame, using the game's output
--decorative-frame-luminosity         Automatically change the decorative frame's luminosity, using the game's output
--pixel-perfect                       Render the screen using square pixels
--rollback-ui PATH                    Load the rollback UI from this folder
-record-next                          Save next state snapshot and inputs on exit
--save-on-quit FILENAME               Save state snapshot on exit in given filename
-use-state-saver                      Use StateSaver instead of QuickSave
--sram-file FILENAME.sfrom            Path to save the SRAM to when it's modified
-exit-on-sram-file-load-error         Exit if loading the SRAM file (--sram-file) failed
--enable-sram-file-hash               Output a .hash file for SRAM files (standalone and save state)
--load-time-path FILENAME.sfrom       Path to load the playtime
--save-time-path FILENAME.sfrom       Path to save the playtime
-rom FILENAME.sfrom                   The game to emulate

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: April 22, 2018, 10:16:55 am »
I tried the --volume function on Plok ages ago, it does nothing for the popping. There's also an offset in the .sfrom header which is for volume, and that didn't help either.
ah, well there we go! thanks for confirming.

amazing work as usual sluffy! Ignore the haters, ungrateful and "entitled" cowards.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: April 22, 2018, 10:47:09 am »
Lufia 2 credits = mode6: hires + interlace. And maybe opt on top. Worst combo.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: April 22, 2018, 11:27:26 am »
What I've ment is if it is known which exact commands are used for the different preinstalled games.
For example how does the exact command line for Star Fox or Super Mario World or Super Metroid ... look like? Is this obtainable information?

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: April 22, 2018, 11:37:55 am »
What I've ment is if it is known which exact commands are used for the different preinstalled games.
For example how does the exact command line for Star Fox or Super Mario World or Super Metroid ... look like? Is this obtainable information?

Yes, the information is right there in the .desktop files and also in hakchi if you select a preinstalled game. None of them use anything special, they all just point to the ROM, set a volume level, and a rollback snapshot time period.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:03 pm »
Doesn't making snapshots take cpu power? So if you lighten the rollback period to 2 seconds, it'd make emu slowdown games run better (music transitions)?

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: April 22, 2018, 12:30:18 pm »
I believe it's only space that it uses, as it's always recording actions and it doesn't matter if it's kept the last 60 seconds in storage or the last 2 seconds. Even set to 2 seconds, it would be always recording actions to roll-back 2 seconds.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: April 22, 2018, 12:31:42 pm »
Sluffy, in byuus forums I was pointed towards this for your mode 7 question

http://www.romhacking.net/documents/196/

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: April 22, 2018, 12:56:22 pm »
It might make sense to plenty of others. For me, that document is often unclear. Mode 7 no change. hex_usr description is a bright sunny day compared to anomie, no$cash, other tech writeups. I already hear the local mockingbirds wailing away.

Marko's Magic Football PAL -- snes9x pal only
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8su061

Irq timing issue in emulator.
sta $4211, db=$7f. Doesn't clear irq.

Have to reset db in irq routine.

When switching to ntsc, not so nice still.

Rollback: I guess there's no way to disable it with Canoe? Never use it in Retroarch since it kills my performance under 50/60.

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: April 22, 2018, 01:02:35 pm »
Don't think you can disable rollback, seems to be part of the emulator overhead. But it works different to Retroarch's anyway, so its impact on performance should be almost nil.

Well I guess you could set its period to 0, but I don't think that's the same as disabled anyway.

True test would be to find a game that pushes the system, so basically Marvelous, and test with that.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: April 22, 2018, 01:09:35 pm »
Saw a video of Marvelous credits. I think it's hires interlace again, so probably looks like Lufia 2 credit.

===1
Marko's Magic Football (Europe) (0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/b6wous

Ntsc region. Pal check removed. If your emulator supports vram uploading at anytime (no vram invalidation), you can use this 60Hz patch!

Meaning Canoe and few others. :):)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:19:33 pm by sluffy »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: April 22, 2018, 01:20:09 pm »
The Marko patch works for Canoe, too, if ran as a PAL game.

(But Canoe can't play PAL properly, sadly)

Edit: Just saw you added a new patch! Sec.

Patch works! Audio seems a little scratchy/poppy, but not from bass instruments. Might need one of those good audio Preset IDs.

Sounds like the game just uses really low quality samples.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:36:11 pm by Robin64 »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: April 22, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »
Wouldn't the Marvelous Credits be fixed by ist PID? I mean there are people that played through the game on Canoe already and I can't remember anyone reporting the Credits being wrong.