News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 205992 times)

arkiokin

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #1680 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:54 pm »
Two more Lemmings ideas
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/R%2B3Mf9baauz3lglaE6Y7pA

tested on level 1, 2 and 4 : (code for level 4 : GWSXMHK)

Lemmings vanilla : flickering on bottom bar and mini map level 1,2 and 4 + cursor issue on level 2 only
Lemmings 4a : same as vanilla except cursor glitch on the 3 levels (no water blocks)
Lemmings 4b : same as 4a

April 17, 2018, 07:51:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Talking about special PAL games who have an equivalent NTSC version but which could be worth to play on PAL-->NTSC is Super Mario Kart (the PAL version is not related in any sheets -it shoud be- but the NTSC conversion with evilgames patch is very glitched at a lot of points and the PAL version without patch on canoe result on black screen and C7 error) why ? Because this game was one on these rare games that was optimized differently on PAL and NTSC versions : each version is pretty different compared to the other one. First : speed is not 20% slower on PAL but just 5%. you have that (approximately) :

mariokart PAL to 60 Hz --> very fast (but with glitches) : speed at 115%
mariokart NTSC/60 Hz --> 100%
mariokart PAL/50 Hz --> 95%-97%
mariokart NTSC to 50 Hz ---> very slow : speed at 85%

But the speed of the game is not the most important thing to notice : a lot of things has changed. some shortcuts are forbidden with PAL version, some area slowdown differently the karts on PAL version.
More than that, the World championship on this game (since 20 years, each year in France) is always played on PAL version, even if Top players play the 2 versions to make records on 2 specifics sheets.

With the NTSC patch, the game has too speed, but the timer is pretty the same than on 50Hz version : so you have the feeling to run much faster than the preinstalled rom, but your final times will be less good. More than that, on 2P mode you have infamous epileptic flashes all the time, that make the game almost unplayable. The 3 departure sounds with lakitu are also glitched with only 2 sound signal (so pretty impossible to make a speed starting in a correct timing)

In fact this game was the only disappointment I had when I first bought my SNESC : so different to play than the PAL version and no comparison possible with my best records (Yes I was one of these players who participated on the TOP ranks records, at least on non-NBT technics (for those who know what I'm talking about))
But it's not so important for real competitors on it, because only official records made on official hardware could be recorded (this is why I kept a CRT TV, only for this game time to time) but it would be a real magic trick to succeed in having a working PAL version on CANOE, and not this PAL->NTSC conversion too glitched and useless
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:52:36 pm by arkiokin »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 17, 2018, 08:05:00 pm »
Wow. Thanks for writing that. Some PAL games do have extra hidden benefits. Stuff like this should be better documented somewhere. :)

Very unsure how possible to (undo) pal timing. So far it's on pretty bad side. Devs usually know what to do with extra time available.

World Masters Golf (Europe) (0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xiyvom

If error appears, please play pal version on emu first to compare. Normal 30Hz slowdown was too much to bear = no fun testing at all. Cheated *a lot* to make this work at all (decent speed).

Lemmings = makes me pretty sad right now. so unstable problem.

===1
Please add this to reyvgm list for testing - April 16 release

Excitebike - Bunbun Mario Battle - Stadium 1 (Japan) (SoundLink)
Excitebike - Bunbun Mario Battle - Stadium 2 (Japan) (SoundLink)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9r2bas
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:24:45 pm by sluffy »

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 17, 2018, 09:06:59 pm »
Wow. Thanks for writing that. Some PAL games do have extra hidden benefits. Stuff like this should be better documented somewhere. :)

Very unsure how possible to (undo) pal timing. So far it's on pretty bad side. Devs usually know what to do with extra time available.

Yes, it's probably an impassable mountain to play a consistent PAL version of this game (even with speed adjustement but with all the specifications of PAL version) except with Retroarch. But, only maniacs of this game should not be satisifed only with the very good super Mario kart NTSC pre-installed Rom ^^''

Lemmings = makes me pretty sad right now. so unstable problem.

Sad too, but these tests reminded me how I liked this game, even if I never played before this SNES version (only on AtariST and windows 95 after that : strange to not play with a mouse here ^^) Hope and sure you will find the solutions, you already made so great feats !

=> Btw, I found (on a old hard disk) a piece of history that could interest you (only for emulation history yes) :

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4idegb

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:58 pm »
Yes, have that emu version. And 0.24 windows also.

Lemmings (rev1, usa, clean, 0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/oFHoM8%2BpRi%2BLKTk3oR8ATQ

Throw more at game.

Hameln boss = confirmed Tiny Toon problem.

===1
Can't imagine how tired testers must be of Madden NFL 98 (0000, usa, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/w2afls

Going over videos and listening to audio cues, noticed hangs often right when action begins. Try zapping audibles and see how game plays.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:34:15 pm by sluffy »

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 17, 2018, 11:33:41 pm »
Yes, have that emu version. And 0.24 windows also.

Lemmings (rev1, usa, clean, 0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/oFHoM8%2BpRi%2BLKTk3oR8ATQ

Throw more at game.

Sorry but :

Lemmings 5a : same flickering issues as vanilla except no cursor issue on the first 4 levels (but again on level 5...)
Lemmings 5 b : all the flickering issues with cursor issue too on each level

Notice that if the cursor issue don't happen (correct shape), when it is push to the extreme right, a glitched white flickering box appear on the extreme left on the screen. If the cursor issue happen, the glitched white box appear on the extreme left too, but when the cursor is on the extreme left

With these 5a/5b patches, I also noticed that if you do a soft reset (L+R+start+select) and try to begin a new play and you choose any level, all is working until you enter the choosen level : then it's dark screen (but you can back to the game selection by hard reset) : an issue that didn't happened on vanilla game (not tested this on the last other patches)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:52:25 pm by arkiokin »

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 18, 2018, 01:10:25 am »

Can't imagine how tired testers must be of Madden NFL 98 (0000, usa, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/w2afls

Going over videos and listening to audio cues, noticed hangs often right when action begins. Try zapping audibles and see how game plays.

You got it Sluffy, this time I was able to watch a complete match played by computer.
The only weird thing I've found with this patch is the clock of the match seems to be a bit faster some times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skf7TdBKKAA
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:19:33 am by SupaSAIAN »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 18, 2018, 03:10:19 am »
Sorry but :

Lemmings 5a : same flickering issues as vanilla except no cursor issue on the first 4 levels (but again on level 5...)
Lemmings 5 b : all the flickering issues with cursor issue too on each level

Notice that if the cursor issue don't happen (correct shape), when it is push to the extreme right, a glitched white flickering box appear on the extreme left on the screen. If the cursor issue happen, the glitched white box appear on the extreme left too, but when the cursor is on the extreme left

With these 5a/5b patches, I also noticed that if you do a soft reset (L+R+start+select) and try to begin a new play and you choose any level, all is working until you enter the choosen level : then it's dark screen (but you can back to the game selection by hard reset) : an issue that didn't happened on vanilla game (not tested this on the last other patches)

For things like this, with minor and specific glitches, it's always better to record a video. Sluffy doesn't have a SNES Classic, so it's always better if he's able to see the issues.

April 18, 2018, 03:17:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You got it Sluffy, this time I was able to watch a complete match played by computer.
The only weird thing I've found with this patch is the clock of the match seems to be a bit faster some times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skf7TdBKKAA

Wow, finally fixed! Can you try other modes too just in case? I'm assuming you are picking "Single" to test, but can you try 3 on 3 and the Season mode too?

As for the clock thing, it looks weird but it seems to be that way with the real game too? I tried it on Higan and both clocks seems to go fast for 2 seconds, and then stop for a millisecond and then go fast again, and so on.

I'll mark it as fixed once you verify it doesn't freeze on the other modes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:18:53 am by reyvgm »

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 18, 2018, 03:50:32 am »
Wow, finally fixed! Can you try other modes too just in case? I'm assuming you are picking "Single" to test, but can you try 3 on 3 and the Season mode too?

As for the clock thing, it looks weird but it seems to be that way with the real game too? I tried it on Higan and both clocks seems to go fast for 2 seconds, and then stop for a millisecond and then go fast again, and so on.

Ok, I'll check it when I get back home.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 18, 2018, 05:11:48 am »
Can anyone test Traverse - Starlight & Prairie? It's a really nice RPG that will soon be translated.

Once you gain control of the character after a long intro (hold A to skip text faster), you'll be in a mountain with a bunch of vines, and everything will be dark except a light circle around your character. I have a suspicion that this might cause another Soul Blazer situation. If for some reason the area is not dark, or if it's dark completely, then try the game with ID 6810 (Hakchi).

Here's how it should look once you climb the vine:

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 18, 2018, 06:59:35 am »

World Masters Golf (Europe) (0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xiyvom

If error appears, please play pal version on emu first to compare. Normal 30Hz slowdown was too much to bear = no fun testing at all. Cheated *a lot* to make this work at all (decent speed).

I'm not really sure what I have to test here, anyway I have recorded a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpCs0toBfI

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 18, 2018, 07:03:05 am »
What needs to be tested is in the doc:

"Screen rapidly flickers when lining up a shot. Similar to Alien vs Predator issue. If you hold Up or Down, the flickering stops. Left-Right doesn't do this."

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 18, 2018, 07:16:07 am »

I only can test the Super Bowl mode and it seems fine, the other two modes (Season and Play-Offs) doesn't allow me to set the computer play the match.
Sorry but I don't know the rules of this sport and I can't play this type games.

April 18, 2018, 07:22:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
What needs to be tested is in the doc:

"Screen rapidly flickers when lining up a shot. Similar to Alien vs Predator issue. If you hold Up or Down, the flickering stops. Left-Right doesn't do this."

I have try it again during two holes and I didn't see any flickers.
For me the game is OK.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:22:46 am by SupaSAIAN »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 18, 2018, 07:26:42 am »
Ok cool. I'll mark them as fixed unless someone complains.

-------------

Etiel!

We're waiting on you to test the last Daffy patch
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg356252#msg356252

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:44:34 am by reyvgm »

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: April 18, 2018, 07:52:53 am »
Can anyone test Traverse - Starlight & Prairie? It's a really nice RPG that will soon be translated.

Once you gain control of the character after a long intro (hold A to skip text faster), you'll be in a mountain with a bunch of vines, and everything will be dark except a light circle around your character. I have a suspicion that this might cause another Soul Blazer situation. If for some reason the area is not dark, or if it's dark completely, then try the game with ID 6810 (Hakchi).

Here's how it should look once you climb the vine:

This is how it looks with ID 0000:
https://imgur.com/eQzo0F9

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 18, 2018, 07:54:55 am »
Ok it looks fine then. Good. Thanks.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: April 18, 2018, 08:42:14 am »
Madden NFL 98 = not completly fixed. The sports_hooligan has already contacted me to mention game doesn't yell out "play signals" like real sport does. Yellow. 42. Callmaker stuff that intentionally eats up game clock time. Game does not play as it normally should basically. Pace is too hurried. Not 100% but close.

Heck. At least it didn't hang and gives me clue where to look now.

Daffy Duck = told that it didn't flicker for several people over playthrough to game over (not full). Pro_bably_ can be flipped green.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 18, 2018, 08:43:59 am »
I'll wait for the only person that's able to bear Daffy Duck entirely to confirm it doesn't flicker.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 18, 2018, 09:02:38 am »
Lemmings (rev1, clean, usa, 0000)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6eia97

Here we go..?

Not sure how many Canoe fans can beat Daffy Duck without cheats. :)

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 18, 2018, 09:10:04 am »
Not sure how many Canoe fans can beat Daffy Duck without cheats. :)

Only Etiel.

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 18, 2018, 01:53:43 pm »

Please add this to reyvgm list for testing - April 16 release

Excitebike - Bunbun Mario Battle - Stadium 1 (Japan) (SoundLink)
Excitebike - Bunbun Mario Battle - Stadium 2 (Japan) (SoundLink)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/9r2bas

Stadium 1: Seems it runs fine.
Stadium 2: Seems it runs fine.