News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 221504 times)

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
Re: Canoe official snes emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2018, 03:58:30 pm »
Yeah, and for Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension, it's a C7 error as well. For information, I tried the japanese game unpatched, with different SA-1 preset IDs (Super Mario RPG, Kirby Ultra Star, Marvelous) (with different sram file size, but I suppose it's not important as I don't even think this game saves anything) and none worked.

If I remember correctly, I think DBZ Hyper Dimension was one of those handful of games that had on-board RAM but not for saves. I can't seem to find a single image of a Hyper Dimension PCB, but I'm going to assume it's the same as the only other SA-1 chip game with RAM but no saves that comes to my mind, Super Bomberman - Panic Bomber W.

That game's PCB is 1L0N3S which denotes:
1 = One ROM chip
L = SA-1 chip
0 = No SRAM chip
N = No decoder chip (for SRAM)
3S = 64kb RAM (used as buffer I believe)
(Nintendo, why not just denote it as 1L3N? But I digress.)

There's actually a stock game on the Classic that also utilizes RAM in this manner, and that's Star Fox. Unfortunately, that game uses a Super FX chip, not SA-1.

I'm hoping otherwise, since I really enjoy this game, but it might possibly be the case that due to the limitations of Canoe and its preset IDs, this game might not ever work on Canoe. I definitely hope I'm wrong though!

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2018, 06:48:49 pm »
Super Battleship (USA)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3dj2sc

DMA from 0C:CE56 + 7FFF ==> 2118. Wraps around. Reads from PPU (invalid). Send 31AA bytes to reach bank end. Should clear up screen.

Super Battleship works fine now. Thanks!

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2018, 07:19:09 pm »
I don't own any of the remaining games so I can't test, but I thought it might help to quickly summarize which games have been tested and which haven't:
Thanks for doing this!

JackMonty

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2018, 03:54:50 am »
Hi All,

This might be a bit of a silly question but will there also be a patch archive of all of sluffy's patches in IPS format? I know Robin64 has kindly made an archive for use with the sfrom tool. If not is the only way to go through the forum and pull out each IPS file when posted by sluffy? If there has already been one I've missed it...

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2018, 11:37:19 am »
Someone could obviously make ips patches, but I honestly don't see the purpose of that? I mean, if you are going to use a program to patch the ips files, then you might as well just use the SFROM tool already. It automatically patches the Canoe fixes, and it also verifies you are using a proper ROM in the first place.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2018, 12:31:04 pm »
Because some (older) snes9x users might want some of these patches, I'll upload what I have later.

Faceball 2000: when sample end block reached, supposed to auto-release voice to zero. Canoe isn't doing this; or Snes9x 1.51 audio core. Instead they play channel forever (noise).

Because trying to find empty space / rewrite spc program is very tightly challenging, may blow out a harmless audio "rng" to fit hack.

Micro Machines 2 very likely does this also... but first want to done and dust off the ball2k.

And thanks again for the reports.

update1:
aio pack
https://www.sendspace.com/file/y7hji7

Faceball 2000 (USA)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ul9xwa

Menu fuzz = read endx and send to keyoff.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:55:02 pm by sluffy »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2018, 01:54:32 pm »
Hi All,

This might be a bit of a silly question but will there also be a patch archive of all of sluffy's patches in IPS format? I know Robin64 has kindly made an archive for use with the sfrom tool. If not is the only way to go through the forum and pull out each IPS file when posted by sluffy? If there has already been one I've missed it...

Demi from resetera has been making ips patches out of the fixes Sluffy have been creating.

You can find all the patches here on their respective games:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2018, 02:03:56 pm »
That's a detailed list.

Hey wait. American Tail = black screen. So no C7? And my tester hack produces a C7? Am I understanding this right??

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »
By the way, Rock and Roll Racing still has issues. Let me repost from resetera:

Quote from: AtomicShroom
I tried out the Rock N' Roll Racing patch and noticed that there's still a tiny glitch on the character select screen.  A tiny part of the background is missing for some reason:

Quote from: AtomicShroom
I've noticed another glitch in Rock N' Roll Racing. In the shop when purchasing a car, part of the crane somehow vanishes when it goes down to grab it:

Robin I've even used your own youtube video to capture this one :P

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:06 pm »
Docs says F2K has wrong colors on menus. : Need to check this spreadsheet really carefully.

RnR / RPM errors ---- really unsure. Seems like Canoe blocks vram during drawing. Or it's doing some mysterious cpu errors. Basic behavior that should work but doesn't.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »
Docs says F2K has wrong colors on menus. : Need to check this spreadsheet really carefully.

RnR / RPM errors ---- really unsure. Seems like Canoe blocks vram during drawing. Or it's doing some mysterious cpu errors. Basic behavior that should work but doesn't.

Don't rely too much on that list because that list can be edited by anyone, and a lot of people that use bad roms post errors there when there really aren't any. Robin's doc is only edited by him with reports from people that know what they are doing.

I'm not saying the F2K issue is not real, but don't believe everything you read there. However, errors are more detailed on that doc yes. Robin doesn't really like adding long error descriptions on his doc.

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2018, 02:33:31 pm »
Here's a tip for people who want IPS patches: Open the .cnp file with WinRAR. ;)

But do keep in mind, using SFROM Tool will ensure you are using the correct ROM the patch is made for. Using an .ips by itself can be uncertain, applying it to a bad ROM will leave you with a bad ROM.

Here's another oddity. Raiden Trad. Canoe isn't showing the score/life counter in the top left, unless I drop a bomb, where it appears briefly then vanishes again. Then when I run out of lives there is meant to be a message asking to continue, but that's invisible too. Oddly the bomb counter down the bottom is visible.

https://youtu.be/-GmWeYDi1iI
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:43:13 pm by Robin64 »

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:33 pm »
Don't rely too much on that list because that list can be edited by anyone, and a lot of people that use bad roms post errors there when there really aren't any. Robin's doc is only edited by him with reports from people that know what they are doing.

I'm not saying the F2K issue is not real, but don't believe everything you read there. However, errors are more detailed on that doc yes. Robin doesn't really like adding long error descriptions on his doc.

That's not true at all. It used to be open for everyone, but has been closed for outsiders for a long while now. The author of that list has revised it and it should be "almost correct". Best thing would be if the two lists would merge together. In that way the community would only have to rely on one single list.

Btw sluffy, I would gladly help you with trying out patches.

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
Oops, forget that part about your statement not being true. I just tried editing the list and it worked. Hmm, weird, months ago it used to be open, then it got closed until recently I guess.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »
Will grab the video and study.

Super Buster Bros. (USA)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/0od3j5

Only rev0 has soft reset bug. Where graphics go missing and levels display wrongly. Emu not supposed to clear vram on reset, since game is lazy to reupload them. 7f:fe12-fe14 has flags to force reupload.

Curiously read in doc that Mystic Ark breaks in Chapter 5. Very far into the game. If American Tail (no-intro) does indeed boot black screen with no C7, then it gives a clue on what could trigger it. But this is unverified.

I lazily wrote Fievel v-irq to line 511 which will never happen. And maybe triggers an assert crash (C7) - way out-of-bounds. I know this game locks up in 1.51 (and only this one it seems).

May throw out another tester to further explore this path. But I'll take whatever testers want to run. Too many games anyway and I'm restricted to PC. So my interest is never higher than max medium level. ;)

upd1:
Two new American Tail tester ideas
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8qwhhu

Forgot to check reading hidden posts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:34:27 pm by sluffy »

FormerTree

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2018, 09:56:01 pm »
Curiously read in doc that Mystic Ark breaks in Chapter 5. Very far into the game. If American Tail (no-intro) does indeed boot black screen with no C7, then it gives a clue on what could trigger it. But this is unverified.

I lazily wrote Fievel v-irq to line 511 which will never happen. And maybe triggers an assert crash (C7) - way out-of-bounds. I know this game locks up in 1.51 (and only this one it seems).

May throw out another tester to further explore this path. But I'll take whatever testers want to run. Too many games anyway and I'm restricted to PC. So my interest is never higher than max medium level. ;)

upd1:
Two new American Tail tester ideas
https://www.sendspace.com/file/8qwhhu

Downloaded testers.

Unpatched (CRC32 0xEEA38AED): Black screen
Tester 1 (CRC32 0xB028EB2B): Black screen
Tester 2 (CRC32 0xFE9455CC): Black screen

Sorry none worked, but there were no C7 crashes this time.

JinRay

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2018, 01:35:04 am »
Hi Guys and are there Pal Patch version for the Mystic Quest and Gaia Patch ? Because when you use the US Patch on the Pal version the games don't work anymore.

And Thanks for your great Work playing all this games on the Mini without Retroarch is Awesome.

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2018, 09:36:25 am »
Hi Guys and are there Pal Patch version for the Mystic Quest and Gaia Patch ? Because when you use the US Patch on the Pal version the games don't work anymore.

And Thanks for your great Work playing all this games on the Mini without Retroarch is Awesome.

You should prefer NTSC-U or NTSC-J version when it's available. Only use PAL version when there is no NTSC.

The SNES Mini is NTSC in all regions.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2018, 11:18:59 am »
I'll make PAL patches for Gaia cursor, Mystic Quest. After Raiden Trad.

It's very simple game codewise. And Canoe is either firing junk irq @ 0-32, hiding upper status bar. Or resetting clip window after VBlank. Or something.

Lots of ideas on what it could be doing. May have to create a bunch of test hacks to see which ones aren't.

When bomb explodes, it unhides entire BG3 layer; everything gets shown. And it's supposed to hide just the explosion tiles when other time, using clip window. Simple in theory. Confusing in Canoe's reality.

upd1:
test ideas for raiden 1-3
https://www.sendspace.com/file/vco4dc
https://www.sendspace.com/file/b2hxnk

dbz:super saiya (rev1)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/je3tuo

By request, combines no-overscan + text read.

american tail - test3
https://www.sendspace.com/file/b399xz

Micro Machines 2 is not so simple as I hoped.

Untested list (for anyone who has time to burn):
American Tail - test3
Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya - overscan + text
Faceball 2000 - menu sfx
Raiden Trad - test1,2,3
Super Buster Bros. - rev0 soft reset menus
Super Play Action Football - menu
WWF Arcade - in-game

upd2:
Illusion of Time (Europe-France-Spain-Germany) -- menu cursor
Mystic Quest Legend (Europe-France-Spain) -- blinking line
Cacoma Knight (Japan) -- status bar
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sny8lq
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:43:26 pm by sluffy »

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2018, 02:50:07 pm »
American Tail: patch didn't do any difference. Only thing that "works" is when you try loading the game there's a "Nintendo presents" text that is shown, when it fades away the game just turns black and nothing happens.

Faceball: patch didn't do any difference, still suffers from same errors as before.