News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Baroque (Saturn) Translation, general hacking  (Read 804 times)

gauss

• View Profile
Baroque (Saturn) Translation, general hacking
« on: December 07, 2018, 12:39:12 pm »
Hello, everyone

I started messing with Baroque on the Saturn over the past few days, and I wanted to make this thread to share what I found

I'm relatively new to romhacking so bear with me.

All the text for the game is in these 4 files on the disc

AB_MES.MSB -> has text relating to settings options menus etc.
ALLMSG.MSB -> has all the dialogue in it
BP.MSB
ITEM.MSB -> Item info

I'm relatively certain .CAK files are movie files.

I've been scraping together a table file using a hex editor in order to extract the script.
https://pastebin.com/daBDmDUT   thats what I have so far.

Kanji are 2 bytes, kana and romanji character are 1 byte.  Kanji starts at F803, and goes up to FA0E so far

I've been able to substitute some English for the menus using the in game romanji fonts, but I have some issues with the spacing (title menu options are all 5 characters long and it doesn't display right with more or less).

Once I have all the kanji in the game mapped out, then I'm going to dump the script, and run it through a text analyzer for fun, find common words, find the script size, things like that.  Will probably update progress on this later, but for now Smash Ultimate is done downloading. :thumbsup:

MatatabiMitsu

• View Profile
Re: Baroque (Saturn) Translation, general hacking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:44:50 am »
Do you have a translator lined up already? If not keep me in mind and let me know once you have the script dumped.

Chalavet

• View Profile
Re: Baroque (Saturn) Translation, general hacking
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 10:50:25 am »
Sounds pretty awesome.  This game has been in my backlog for ages.  Great music too.  Looking forward to reading on the progress.  Best wishes!