News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to identify an IPS patch that is ROM specific  (Read 711 times)

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
How to identify an IPS patch that is ROM specific
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:37:29 pm »
I have a IPS patch for super mario kart called Vizu kart and there was no patch info when I downloaded it. I have tried every Snes super mario kart rom type I could find and when I patch they either totally do not work or there mostly corrupt with some stuff that works. Is there a way to find out which rom this belongs to so it can properly be applyed and so I can find out what this hack is?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: How to identify an IPS patch that is ROM specific
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:35 pm »
Officially? No. IPS is a very simple format and this problem is one of the reasons ones with source hashing are suggested these days.

Unofficially? Maybe, especially as Mario Kart is a fairly well known/hacked series. IPS will change certain bytes to other bytes. To someone that knows what the code in those locations does some of these will make no sense at all to do, and they might be able to skip around enough to deal with headers, interleaving or other formats (it is usually a set distance or known type of change). From there then as there are probably not so many regions and sub versions in each of those that you can't do a check of all of them.
For SNES Mario Kart that person will not be me though.

I assume you also did the token search on it. Nothing came up for me but you might have better luck.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:30:38 pm »
Every result I found when searching "Vizu Kart" that had anything to do with gaming was on French webpages.

Perhaps it's a patch for the French release of the game? Or to convert one of the other languages into French?

theNPCnextDoor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:49 pm »
Hello,

Where can this patch be found? I tried looking for it, but got no results. As FAST6191 said, the format is pretty simple and does not tell any information about whether it is intended for an headered ROM or not. If you could indicate its location, I could try to help you.

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:03 am »
Did you try to add/remove the header?

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:21 am »