News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX  (Read 984 times)

einlanzer

• View Profile
Dragon Quest IX
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:04 pm »
For years I've had an interest in making a rebalance hack of DQIX, but I have limited experience with NDS and I've had trouble so far finding any useful hex locations.

There are lots of things I'd love to do, but I think the best starting point (bang for buck) is modifying stat growths for the vocations and modifying spell acquisition tables. If anyone has any insight or would be interested in helping with this, please let me know.

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest IX
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:19:20 am »
I don't have the precise answer to your question, but I can tell you that every Dragon Quest from DS is really easy to mod, even on a file name basis. I recall changing the experience from many monsters, so that I could use revocation faster with multiple jobs, and the money. The name of the file was "EnemyParm" or something like that, there is also "BattleParm" for enemies that only appear on battle, so I bet your answer lies on the many "Char" or "Player" stuff lying around the file system. ;)

einlanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:59:34 am »
Thanks! I've spent some time browsing the files, but, so far, nothing's jumped out at me. I would be interested in modifying monsters as well - especially resistance and immunity. I'm only so-so at identifying patterns on my own, and my limited experience with NDS offers no help there. 

February 13, 2018, 10:09:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update - I've found vocation stat increases and spell acquisition as well as monster stats.

So, now, the main thing I want to tackle are the various parameters on spells, skills, and equipment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:09:33 pm by einlanzer »

einlanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:35:20 pm »
I've now located the info for MP costs and damage limits on spells and skills, which will go a very long way in improving the balance of the game.

The only significant things I'm missing at this point are damage formulas and gear parameters, which I'll likely find in time.