I'm about 90% finished with a hack of FFIV Complete Collection (FFIV only) to improve balance and restore the more natural challenge level/pacing of the SNES and SFC versions.
The primary aim is to restore monster speed - the ATB conversion they did for the Advance version that TAY was built on changed the mechanics of how monsters move relative to your party members, which made them a lot slower generally and completely ruined the original's natural challenge and pacing. It's not much of a hyperbole to say that it actually completely ruined the game.
I have several secondary aims, though, including:
- rebalancing the late-game equipment
- rebalancing the stat growth of secondary characters (such as giving Yang and Cid intellect and spirit growth, and normalizing Tellah/FuSoYa)
- fixing back-row compatibility of Edward's harps
- removing the random stat gains post 70
- tweaking a handful of spells
All of the above is more or less complete, but there is one thing that I have not been able to locate that I really want to address before I put a bow on the hack, and that's the command data. There are a couple of egregious things I want to change in particular:
- reducing the cast time of Palom and Porom's Twin attack
- swapping the targeting between Porom's Cry (OP; should only target one monster or have its functionality reverted) and Edward's Sing (underpowered, should target the whole enemy party).
- improving the efficacy of FuSoYa's bless
But, I'd love to get enough info to be creative and do some updates for other abilities like Edward's heal. If anyone knows where the pointers are or can help me find them, I'd be most appreciative.