News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FFIV Complete Collection  (Read 1114 times)

einlanzer

• View Profile
FFIV Complete Collection
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:21:20 am »
Howdy -

I'm about 90% finished with a hack of FFIV Complete Collection (FFIV only) to improve balance and restore the more natural challenge level/pacing of the SNES and SFC versions.

The primary aim is to restore monster speed - the ATB conversion they did for the Advance version that TAY was built on changed the mechanics of how monsters move relative to your party members, which made them a lot slower generally and completely ruined the original's natural challenge and pacing. It's not much of a hyperbole to say that it actually completely ruined the game.

I have several secondary aims, though,  including:
- rebalancing the late-game equipment
- rebalancing the stat growth of secondary characters (such as giving Yang and Cid intellect and spirit growth, and normalizing Tellah/FuSoYa)
- fixing back-row compatibility of Edward's harps
- removing the random stat gains post 70
- tweaking a handful of spells

All of the above is more or less complete, but there is one thing that I have not been able to locate that I really want to address before I put a bow on the hack, and that's the command data. There are a couple of egregious things I want to change in particular:
- reducing the cast time of Palom and Porom's Twin attack
- swapping the targeting between Porom's Cry (OP; should only target one monster or have its functionality reverted) and Edward's Sing (underpowered, should target the whole enemy party).
- improving the efficacy of FuSoYa's bless

But, I'd love to get enough info to be creative and do some updates for other abilities like Edward's heal. If anyone knows where the pointers are or can help me find them, I'd be most appreciative.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:27:37 am by einlanzer »

Timbo

• View Profile
Re: FFIV Complete Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:38 pm »
Pumped for this. I hope you find the help you need.

einlanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:57:13 pm »
Pumped for this. I hope you find the help you need.

Thanks! In the worst case scenario, I'll release it in the condition it's in now. It's not quite as complete as I'd like it, but it addresses problems in numerous areas and, IMO, is a lot more polished than the un-patched game.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 02:07:22 am »
I've done pretty extensive hacking in FFIV for SNES. If you can send me the files you're looking through I might be able to pinpoint the charge time of Twin and the targeting for Cry. (You don't want its ability reverted. In FFIV through FFIV-A it reduced an enemy's "Steal Defense" by 5.(technically half of Porom's own "Steal Defense" which never changes, so yeah. 5.) and changing FuSoYa's Bless is as easy as finding a random 0A in the command data. Again, if the data is cleaner it shouldn't be too difficult.

Swordmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »
Grimoire LD <--- This man knows the way.

What a brilliant idea, einlanzer-san!  I have long wanted something like this.  FFIV Complete Collection is superior in many ways to all other versions, except for the fact that they destroyed what little challenge the original game offered.  I look forward to seeing what you have accomplished.  Now if only something could be done about making Interlude into something decent, for therein lies a wasted opportunity...