News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Archiving Large romhacks via torrents:  (Read 344 times)

TimeCop

• View Profile
Archiving Large romhacks via torrents:
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:05:32 pm »
Some romhacks are too big to host on RHDN, and this may lead to them being lost. I can understand bandwidth costs make it not viable to host them directly on the site. Websites and cloud storage inevitably die. So I propose this solution.

1. A torrent is produced which collects all of these romhacks in one package. This would greatly increase the chances of them being preserved.

2. These romhacks are preserved on RHDN servers as a backup, but aren't made available to download. This is just another layer of backup.

3. RHDN has offline archives of all the romhacks on the site, including the ones too large to host. At least several copies are made and periodically updated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:31:31 am by TimeCop »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Archiving Large romhacks via torrents:
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:41:28 am »
Torrents seem to be a terrible way to preserve things.  You might as well just ask random people to download a copy just once for all the good it will do to ensure their continued distribution.

Anyway, what romhacks are you referring to?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

TimeCop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:29:28 am »
Anyway, what romhacks are you referring to?

I have not made a complete survey of the site, but there are several romhacks that are too large to host on RHDN servers directly. Here are two examples that I know of:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2042/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/444/

The current strategy is to rely on private sites + cloud storage. Inevitably these sites will die. Then people are going to ask if anyone has a copy, and it maybe it's years later, and no one can find it. Someone might chime in saying they had it, but their HDD died, so they don't have it anymore.

Torrents are imperfect, but it gives at least some hope of spreading it around and increasing the chance of it being saved. Plus if there's backups by RHDN (offline and online) then it can be replaced as needed.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 03:41:30 pm »
With that Xenogears patch, it probably would've been better to split the undub stuff into a separate patch. The rest of the stuff sounds like it would've fit easily into a patch that can be hosted.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."