News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Journey to Silius Utilities?  (Read 892 times)

PasthorRothers

• View Profile
Journey to Silius Utilities?
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:16:47 pm »
I was wondering if there is any way to access a level/tile editor for Journey to Silius as well as a text editor for it? I am trying to restore the Terminator to it. If anyone knows where either one is, could you please let me know? Thanks!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to Silius Utilities?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »
If nobody has posted one to the main site, then it likely doesn't exist, or it does but nobody has informed the site about it.
Unless the graphics are compressed, any tile editor should work.
As for text editor, the same. You would need to read documents about text editing. As long as the text is stored in the ROM as is typical, it would work.

As for level editing, that is much harder to do. It requires studying the ROM to determine the level format as well as writing an editor. Both are tasks that require quite a lot of effort so will likely only be done if there is someone deeply interested in writing one for the game.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

PasthorRothers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:04:46 pm »
How would you edit the levels then? Hex? How would I do that?

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »
You may have to download latest version of CaD Editor by spiiin. It's easy to find.
But it have only 1 level, I guess...

PasthorRothers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:45:07 pm »
Really unfortunate. There are level editors for games like Karnov, and too many Super Mario Brothers 1 and 3 editors, but no one has really made one for JtS??? How would one study the rom to edit?

RetroNova10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 10:57:57 am »
Mmm... Journey to Silius has such good music...

Ahem.

How would one study the rom to edit?

I'd recommend acquiring the Fceux emulator. It has a number of useful tools for those trying to hack or observe games' memory. When it comes to editing levels, this is entirely dependent on the game. However, I'd start with somehow finding the micros' "id"s (16x16 images made up of 8x8 images, which you can view in the PPU Viewer, and see their "id") and then searching (Ctrl+F in the Hex Editor. Oh, and make sure to do View>ROM File) for suspected patterns of said micros.

I search around on a few different NES wikis for information on Silius, but there isn't much out there, which is certainly unfortunate for you.

Good luck in your hacking!