News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Playing SotN for the first time.  (Read 4097 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Playing SotN for the first time.
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:53:08 pm »

So this is the third Castlevania I've played so far(Only beat the first though)
actually ruined my PS2 laser earlier trying to run this with the swap disc method so I'm just settling for WiiSXr emulation for now, Its currently running in overclock mode and it's pretty okay so far aside from minor audio crackles occasionally and missing audio in the opening cutscene.

Wondering if anybody has any general tips, or patch recommendations.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
Re: Playing SotN for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:32:08 pm »
Well, that's the most contrived method of playing SotN that I've ever seen. You couldn't just emulate on PC or something?

Some pointers:
  • You don't need to purchase magic to use it. If you know the button combo and have the MP, you can use whatever spell you're trying to cast.
  • Find the Jewel of Open ASAP unless you're going for the Clocktower after Wolf form route.
  • The Shield Rod is the best weapon in the game.
  • If your playthrough ends with fighting Richter, you're playing the game wrong.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:44:52 pm »
Thanks, and yeah, it is a bit contrived, the last time I tried Epsxe on my laptop it didn't really behave well, that and I don't feel like hunting down a controller and cable every time I wanna play, with the wiiu I've got the controller built in even if it is a little bulky.

So what you mean with the magic is that youre really buying the combo information then?

I'll be sure to remember about Richter too.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:45:15 am »
So what you mean with the magic is that youre really buying the combo information then?

Yeah. The button combos. Just look those up and you can use them as soon as you have enough MP, IIRC. Dark Metamorphosis is handy in the beginning.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:38:03 am »
Yeah, that one is pretty handy, I found it at the start by flailing with the controls after discovering the combo system, the other one I found was the typical quarter-circle attack combo but I don't think I've regained the MP for that one yet.

Right now I'm in the section just after meeting Maria, died to big ass armor with a sword.

NERV Agent

• Fist deep into that honey pot....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:08:05 am »
Thanks, and yeah, it is a bit contrived, the last time I tried Epsxe on my laptop it didn't really behave well, that and I don't feel like hunting down a controller and cable every time I wanna play, with the wiiu I've got the controller built in even if it is a little bulky.

Have you tried the emulator pSX (awful name for an emulator, I know)? ePSXe is not the kind of emulator you want to use with 2D games.

pSX is the most accurate PlayStation emulator I've used. The only downside is that pSX does not enhance graphics with 3D card acceleration, but its a 2D game so why would 3D acceleration matter?

[derail]Has the Saturn version of this been translated yet? I heard the Saturn version even had an extra Maria mode, just like Rondo of Blood for the PC-Engine CD did.[/derail]
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh is waifu of the year.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 07:38:13 pm »
Have you tried the emulator pSX (awful name for an emulator, I know)? ePSXe is not the kind of emulator you want to use with 2D games.

pSX is the most accurate PlayStation emulator I've used. The only downside is that pSX does not enhance graphics with 3D card acceleration, but its a 2D game so why would 3D acceleration matter?

[derail]Has the Saturn version of this been translated yet? I heard the Saturn version even had an extra Maria mode, just like Rondo of Blood for the PC-Engine CD did.[/derail]
Haven't tried pSX yet(imaginative name tho), but I might try that one out, a cursory look says Saturn of the Night translation was also suspended which sucks.

Right now I'm getting rare hiccups where the WiiU randomly shuts itself off while running WiiSXr, nothing too aggrevating so far since I'm hitting save points often, but It's still annoying so I might actually switch over.

Oddly enough I just found a PSX re-translation that I missed before,
definitely gonna apply that one on my next run.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:07 pm »
Dark Metamorphosis

You mean "Dark Metamorphathith"?

Also Soul Steal is better.  In fact it's way too good and is totally game breaking.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:39 am »
You mean "Dark Metamorphathith"?

Also Soul Steal is better.  In fact it's way too good and is totally game breaking.
Lol, haven't figured out Soul Steal yet since I'm doing the first run blind,
how broken would you say it is?

Actually tried out a few emulators this morning and did settle on pSX, it runs great, I tried Bizhawk first since I was playing Rondo of Blood on that, but it had a conniption and wouldn't run the iso, psxjin also looked nice but had a crippled plugin system and broken input so that was out, the next couple were just plugin hell and I couldn't even get them to boot the game.

Noticed that the quality hack adds a save point right at the beginning of the game, I assume it was put in for testing purposes and just left there.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:21:45 pm »
Some pointers:
  • The Shield Rod is the best weapon in the game.

Prefer Crissaegrim myself, but it's a rare drop from one enemy and as such isn't exactly readily available in most playthroughs unless you know where to look.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:14:32 am »
It's a fun game. Just go to GameFAQs dot com if you're stuck. That's what I do for every game I play.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:22 am »
Prefer Crissaegrim myself, but it's a rare drop from one enemy and as such isn't exactly readily available in most playthroughs unless you know where to look.
Crissaegrim doesn't heal you like the Alucard Shield combo does, though!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »

No, but it wrecks pretty much any boss in well under five seconds, eliminating the need for healing!

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 03:00:19 pm »
As if you need healing on most bosses anyway. SOTN is kinda way too easy even if you keep Alucard underleveled.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »
Right now I'm just wrecking everything with the holy salt subweapon, so far it just seems to rip right through just about anything I can hit with it, I barely even need the sword for most mooks.

I'm actually on my way back to the Long Library after a crash and I'm gonna do a bit of grinding to fill out some of the bestiary entries hopefully I can get some better equipment in the process.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:32 pm »
Lol, haven't figured out Soul Steal yet since I'm doing the first run blind,
how broken would you say it is?

Soul Steal deals a shitton of damage (basically killing) everything on screen and simultaneously filling up all your life.

It's completely broken.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »
Soul Steal deals a shitton of damage (basically killing) everything on screen and simultaneously filling up all your life.

It's completely broken.

LOL, sounds more and more like the game snaps like a twig with the right prompting.

Anyway, back in today since my work is over for now, last time I think I picked up wolf morph which IMHO seem kinda worthless at the time, I'm gonna have to mess with it some more since I have no idea what it's for.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 11:17:56 am »
Spoiler:
Difficulty: once the castle flips upside down difficulty goes up. You'll probably have to restart many times. at least I did

I recently found out along with Castlevania IV, hardcore fans typically enjoy Dracula X, which was only originally released in Japan, but was later released on the PSP, and on the virtual console. I'm hoping they have started work on the S2 Castlevania series. I really enjoyed the anime on Netflix.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 12:37:51 pm »
Spoiler:
Difficulty: once the castle flips upside down difficulty goes up. You'll probably have to restart many times. at least I did

I recently found out along with Castlevania IV, hardcore fans typically enjoy Dracula X, which was only originally released in Japan, but was later released on the PSP, and on the virtual console. I'm hoping they have started work on the S2 Castlevania series. I really enjoyed the anime on Netflix.
Yeah, Rondo of Blood is the other one I was playing and I like it a lot, the elimination of bottomless pits and fake difficulty is a godsend, while they jacked up the actual difficulty a bit to make up for it, it's a nice feeling to know that deaths are my fault and I can improve my srategy, rather than just getting dumped into pits constantly from shit flying in from offscreen.

I also liked the Netflix series, i'm gonna renew my subscription eventually so I can watch season 2,
the death of the asshole preist was pretty poetic, I think there were also references to the subweapons scattered around, although I could be wrong.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 01:48:53 pm »
Heals faster when Dark Metamorphosis is on! Also, your previous statement is incorrect, Alucard Shield is the most powerful weapon on the game, Shield Rod only awakens it. See also the Muramasa, if you like to kill 2000 zombies or the likes. :D

To execute (or find how to do it properly) the Soul Steal, just circle around the directional like crazy and smash the buttons, it is faster than trying to do it properly and probably how most people discover it. There is another tricky spell that involves charging, is also useful enough.