News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project  (Read 660 times)

Magna Arbor Dekua

• View Profile
Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:56:16 am »
Hi everyone,

My goal is to translate an Ocarina of Time ROM into Latin. However, I am an amateur at ROM modification, and I have limited skills in the area. I have already translated some text over the course of the last week or so, up to Hyrule Castle Town so far. The following is what I'd like to do (ideally). I have listed them in order of descending importance.

Translate the game text into Latin - Using OcarinaTextEditor for this.
Translate Title Cards into Latin - Using SceneNavi for this.
Translate Boss Title Cards - ???
Translate Action Icons - ???
Translate Start Menu - ???
Translate Credits - ???
Modify sound files (Navi 'hey', etc.) - ???

If anyone can direct me to any programs I can use to achieve these things - that would be very helpful! I am using the Master Quest Debug Rom - as that's what the OcarinaTextEditor works with.

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »
I remember reading long ago the graphics (which are most of those things listed) are compressed. Someone wrote a tutorial long ago for using a program (zcompress, was it?) to de-compress and the re-compress.
You would have to decompress, use a tile editor which supports its graphics format (I think it was 16 or 24 bit color?) then recompress.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Magna Arbor Dekua

• View Profile
Re: Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:17:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply! It appears that ZCompress is for SNES (LttP). I have tried using both Tile Molester and Texture64 - but both programs are beyond my current capabilites. For example, using Tile Molester, I was able to identify the portion of the Title Screen that says 'Master Quest.' I deleted the Q just to see if the program was functioning - and I got this (https://imgur.com/a/5UqPQ) title screen - despite not having intentionally deleted any of the other material.

Anyone who can help me navigate these programs - or any other texture editors; would be great appreciated!