News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project  (Read 743 times)

Magna Arbor Dekua

• View Profile
Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:56:16 am »
Hi everyone,

My goal is to translate an Ocarina of Time ROM into Latin. However, I am an amateur at ROM modification, and I have limited skills in the area. I have already translated some text over the course of the last week or so, up to Hyrule Castle Town so far. The following is what I'd like to do (ideally). I have listed them in order of descending importance.

Translate the game text into Latin - Using OcarinaTextEditor for this.
Translate Title Cards into Latin - Using SceneNavi for this.
Translate Boss Title Cards - ???
Translate Action Icons - ???
Translate Start Menu - ???
Translate Credits - ???
Modify sound files (Navi 'hey', etc.) - ???

If anyone can direct me to any programs I can use to achieve these things - that would be very helpful! I am using the Master Quest Debug Rom - as that's what the OcarinaTextEditor works with.

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »
I remember reading long ago the graphics (which are most of those things listed) are compressed. Someone wrote a tutorial long ago for using a program (zcompress, was it?) to de-compress and the re-compress.
You would have to decompress, use a tile editor which supports its graphics format (I think it was 16 or 24 bit color?) then recompress.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Magna Arbor Dekua

• View Profile
Re: Ocarina Temporis - Help with OoT Latin Translation Project
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:17:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply! It appears that ZCompress is for SNES (LttP). I have tried using both Tile Molester and Texture64 - but both programs are beyond my current capabilites. For example, using Tile Molester, I was able to identify the portion of the Title Screen that says 'Master Quest.' I deleted the Q just to see if the program was functioning - and I got this (https://imgur.com/a/5UqPQ) title screen - despite not having intentionally deleted any of the other material.

Anyone who can help me navigate these programs - or any other texture editors; would be great appreciated!