News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Uploading Japanese hacks with English translations?  (Read 1153 times)

Darrman

• View Profile
Uploading Japanese hacks with English translations?
« on: February 03, 2018, 07:27:07 am »
There are an amount of Japanese Fire Emblem hacks with English translations I'd like to submit. What is the procedure for doing so? Should I include both Japanese and English patches in one submission, or should I separate them? I presume they should be kept together, but I figured I should ask first.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Uploading Japanese hacks with English translations?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »
I'm not sure I understand: hacks which incorporate English translations? Is the author of the hack different from the author of the translation? If so, they ought to be separated and the hack should be an addendum. There are plenty of examples in the translations section. Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Darrman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:54:02 pm »
The original hacks were in Japanese by members of the Japanese community. Later on, English speaking hackers made English translations of these hacks. In other words, they're translations of ROM hacks, and not vanilla games. To use another game as a point of comparison, think of them as a translation designed for Kaizo Mario World, not the vanilla Super Mario World. The translators were not the same people as the original creators.

Is the author of the hack different from the author of the translation? If so, they ought to be separated and the hack should be an addendum.

Judging by this, I should separate the original Japanese hack and the English translation.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:09:05 am »
If you are going to submit a Translation of a Hack, submit it under Hacks. And just like Psyklax said, categorize it as an Addendum of the original Japanese hack; provided that the original hack is present before the translated hack for description linking.

Here is an example, Mortal Kombat II: Unlimited (Spanish).

The Translations Section only cover translations of the game in its original form.

The site rarely receives "Hack Translations", so if anyone who has access to Site Development have any issues to discuss, feel free to discuss it there.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 06:17:49 am »
The Translations Section only cover translations of the game in its original form.

Although I believe people occasionally do it the other way around: they make hacks which require an English translation of an original game. These go in Translations as Addendums (Addenda? :) ).

So translations of hacks go in Hacks as Addendum, and hacks of translations go in Translations as Addendum. Simple! :)

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:53:09 am »
Although I believe people occasionally do it the other way around: they make hacks which require an English translation of an original game. These go in Translations as Addendums (Addenda? :) ).

However, its all right to submit such hacks as Fully Playable, provided that the author credits the English translation base.  ;)