News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Porting FDS games to Mappers with Expansion Audio - Could it work?  (Read 967 times)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
Hi there,
I grew up playing many NES and FDS games and I've always wanted to play various FDS games in Cartridge form. The problem is the extra audio channel. There exists pirate ports of FDS gems such as Ai Senshi Nicol or Arumana no Kiseki, but the games suffer greatly because of the missing audio channel.

So, I was wondering, if it is possible to port an FDS game to an NES rom using a Mapper that has expansion audio, then port the FDS extra sound channel to the Mapper's expansion audio channel.

What does everyone think? Would something like that work? ;)

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Porting FDS games to Mappers with Expansion Audio - Could it work?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:10:41 pm »
You'd have to port the entire game which may or may not be feasible, not just the audio portion that was in question. The FDS uses a slightly different ROM map than cartridge games, so you'd have to port all the code.
Also the FDS games are loaded from disk into RAM in the adapter cartridge and run from there, and that means that games can use as much of that 32KB program RAM space as extra RAM as it wants.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
Re: Porting FDS games to Mappers with Expansion Audio - Could it work?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:19:11 pm »
You'd have to port the entire game which may or may not be feasible, not just the audio portion that was in question. The FDS uses a slightly different ROM map than cartridge games, so you'd have to port all the code.
Also the FDS games are loaded from disk into RAM in the adapter cartridge and run from there, and that means that games can use as much of that 32KB program RAM space as extra RAM as it wants.
Hey KingMike! :)
Thanks! Hmmm...yeah that sounds more complicated than I thought. But, there are pirate ROM versions of the 2 above mentioned games floating around. If the code to the extra audio is still intact in those roms, I wonder if it would be possible to output them somehow?

Anyways, just some thoughts... :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/