News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Switchblade II - First Atari Lynx Hack  (Read 656 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Switchblade II - First Atari Lynx Hack
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:21 pm »

Update By: Psyklax

Switchblade II is a platform game, originally released on the Commodore Amiga and Atari ST, with a cut-down port for the Atari Lynx, and now there's a hack for it. The hack itself is quite simple - giving you the ability to continue from where you died, and giving you only one life at the start as a form of balance - but it's notable for two reasons.

It's the very first hack for the Atari Lynx on this site, and secondly, it was done without any debugging tools, save a memory viewer. The author identified the assembly instructions due to their similarity to other systems like the NES, and made educated guesses to achieve the desired effect.

It's a game that many won't be aware of, but now that this hack makes it somewhat easier to play, why not give it a try?

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Keen83

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Switchblade II - First Atari Lynx Hack
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 06:17:29 pm »
Never known there was a Lynx version.
I mosly played the Amiga 500 version  :beer:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Switchblade II - First Atari Lynx Hack
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »
There was an NES version of the game developed at one point but it was never released, no prototype ROMs have surfaced. And I thought I read someone in the preservation scene contacted Kemco or Gremlin about it and was told they have nothing on it, no ROM or source.
(at least I think it was Kemco who would've published it, they did quite a number of computer to console ports at the time. But it sounds like some kind of corporate politics happened and this one got dropped.)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."