News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Can I make use of the DS Rumble Pak in my ROM Hack?  (Read 715 times)

TLORD765

• View Profile
Can I make use of the DS Rumble Pak in my ROM Hack?
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:47:58 pm »
Oops, I forgot to read the rules of the section this was originally put under. :-[ Sorry for wasting your time with the disapproval process or whatever. I probably should've read those rules. Anyway, onto the post!

Hi! Before you say, "Why ask? The Rumble Pak is utterly useless," I would like to note that DeSmuME supports controller rumble whenever you have the Rumble Pak selected for Slot-2 and the game commands the DS Rumble Pak to rumble. And some flashcarts support it, too. So, that brings up a few questions from me...

1. How exactly does this work internally, and how can I replicate it whenever a certain sound effect is played (for example, the engine of a car)?
2. Does the Rumble Pak have different of rumble strength? If so, how do I program that?

Please keep in mind that I am relatively new to ROM Hacking. So, if you could kindly point me in the correct direction, that would be splendid.  :)

Thanks,
TLORD765
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:42:14 pm by TLORD765 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make use of the DS Rumble Pak in my ROM Hack?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:14:24 pm »
The first thing that comes to mind is the EZFlash 3-in-1 – probably the most common rumble device available today.

There's some sample code available at https://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4171 , but I'm afraid I'm clueless where to go from there.  This is not something I can recall people attempting previously.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Can I make use of the DS Rumble Pak in my ROM Hack?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:32:35 pm »
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartrumblepak

Seems like a fairly simple protocol.

Tie it to a sound change/call (most games use SDAT and most sound effects will be the swav/swar type so that should not be too hard to trace and hook) and I guess you would then have a rumble made for it.
Could probably even render it in cheat form (the DS binary is in memory so you can do small assembly hacks via it).

There are a few cheats for games to convert one to one of those expansion packs, and plenty of other things reading the GBA slot after a fashion (guitar hero, arkanoid paddle for mario kart and a few others, some also for changing save reads in things like pokemon to use the SRAM most flash carts use...) so it seems possible and might make a nice getting to know the system project.