News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Aria of Sorrow - Localization Fix (AoS Fix 3) - Enemy descriptions  (Read 1764 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
I've almost finished work on my localisation fix for Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. I just need to clarify a few remaining lines of Japanese that I'm just not sure about, specifically the enemy descriptions for Needles and Ukobach. If the existing translations are adequate, I can just leave them as is:

#64 - Needles:
- "凶凶しく成長したウニ" (Japanese text)
- "A giant, mutant sea urchin." (Official in-game translation)

#77 - Ukobach:
- "灼熱した体で現れる釜炊きの悪鬼" (Japanese text)
- "One of hell's cauldron demons with a blazing, red-hot body." (Official in-game translation)
- From what I can tell, a literal reading of the text produces something like "A demon that appears with a red-hot/scorching body and cooks/boils kettles/cauldrons (perhaps it means 'fry cooking/frying' instead?)"
- Was translated as "Demon of the beanpot, appears with a flaming body" in Gemini's SOTN retranslation (https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1427/)
- The Wikipedia entry for Ukobach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukobach) and other primary sources state that he is the 'inventor of fireworks and the art of frying foods."
- My current, tentative localization: "A demonic fry cook with a blazing, red-hot body" (there has got to be a better term to use besides 'fry cook', space permitting of course)

Edit:

The item description for the Copper Plate (どうのむねあて) reads: "胴の胸当て", which I think roughly translates as either "body/torso armor" or refers to the specific type of body armor that is used in kendo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo#Equipment_and_clothing), though I don't believe they usually make that stuff out of copper. The official translation reads "Breastplate made of hammered copper", which completely ignores the Japanese text, so I'm kind of at a loss here.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:54:40 am by spiffy »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Aria of Sorrow - Localization Fix (AoS Fix 3) - Enemy descriptions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:40:59 am »
Ukobach has the same exact description in SOTN. This is what we used for the retranslation:
Demon of the beanpot, appears with a flaming body.<End>
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:10:10 pm »
I believe the description for Needles translates to something like "A fully-grown sea urchin with a wicked appearance." I'm still learning, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ukobachi is easier: "An evil spirit with a red-hot body, it cooks using an iron pot."

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:54:59 am »
Ukobach has the same exact description in SOTN. This is what we used for the retranslation:
Demon of the beanpot, appears with a flaming body.<End>
It's definitely something along those lines, but I'm just wondering about the specific choice of the word 'beanpot'. Nearly every demonology source I could find (both primary and secondary) only ever seem to link Ukobach with 'pots', 'cauldrons' and 'boilers' specifically, although these differences in terminology could almost certainly be chalked up to the Dictionnaire Infernal's translation from its original French. The copy I found on archive.org from 1863 uses the word chaudière, which directly translates as roughly 'boiler' or 'kettle', but can also apparently be used to describe any sort of vessel that is specifically used to heat liquids (like a cauldron for example, especially in older contexts like fairy tales). The kanji '釜' also appears to read in a similar fashion, with 'kettle', 'iron pot' and 'cauldron' also invariably turning up when consulting several online dictionaries.

I freely admit I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but it's looking more and more like the original translation had the right idea, just slightly embellished.

I believe the description for Needles translates to something like "A fully-grown sea urchin with a wicked appearance." I'm still learning, so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks. If you're still not completely sure, I can give it some more time and consultation. I'd just prefer to get as much right as I can on the very first pass, especially considering the surprising amount of textual alterations I've made. 

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:57:13 am »
It's definitely something along those lines, but I'm just wondering about the specific choice of the word 'beanpot'. Nearly every demonology source I could find (both primary and secondary) only ever seem to link Ukobach with 'pots', 'cauldrons' and 'boilers' specifically, although these differences in terminology could almost certainly be chalked up to the Dictionnaire Infernal's translation from its original French. The copy I found on archive.org from 1863 uses the word chaudière, which directly translates as roughly 'boiler' or 'kettle', but can also apparently be used to describe any sort of vessel that is specifically used to heat liquids (like a cauldron for example, especially in older contexts like fairy tales). The kanji '釜' also appears to read in a similar fashion, with 'kettle', 'iron pot' and 'cauldron' also invariably turning up when consulting several online dictionaries.
I don't remember the specific source from where I got the beanpot reference (it's been almost 10 years now), but to Asian culture it's literally an infernal caldron like the following:

Also this could help: http://legendofthecryptids.wikia.com/wiki/Pain_Inflicting_Ukobach
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:02:57 am by Gemini »
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:40:46 pm »
I ordered the Infernal Bean Pot at Taco-Bell once...ugh, won't make that mistake again! :o

The original translation for 凶凶しく成長したウニ is good in my opinion. The connotation is 'very badly formed'. As a Shinto thing, I would not take it as genetically mutated, but 'tainted with evil' which is usually accompanied by a corresponding outward appearance. I've seen similar things translated as 'monstrous' 'deformed' 'mutant' 'wicked' etc. I don't think there's a single equivalent word in English, so take your pick.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 06:40:18 am »
The original translation for 凶凶しく成長したウニ is good in my opinion. The connotation is 'very badly formed'. As a Shinto thing, I would not take it as genetically mutated, but 'tainted with evil' which is usually accompanied by a corresponding outward appearance. I've seen similar things translated as 'monstrous' 'deformed' 'mutant' 'wicked' etc. I don't think there's a single equivalent word in English, so take your pick.
So maybe something like "A grotesque, malformed sea urchin" then? Thanks, that helps a lot. :thumbsup:

I don't remember the specific source from where I got the beanpot reference (it's been almost 10 years now), but to Asian culture it's literally an infernal caldron like the following:

Also this could help: http://legendofthecryptids.wikia.com/wiki/Pain_Inflicting_Ukobach
Ah, I get it now. You learn something new everyday.  :)

But I think I'll retain the original description, mainly because its a direct a reference to Western demonology, and should thus probably include all the specific cultural connotations that come with such a subject.

Many thanks for your input, regardless! Your version of SOTN is the only one I ever play nowadays.

Rabite890

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:32 am »
I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but would it be possible to put the icon for damage type in the description of weapons/souls? Knowing that Siren does Curse damage might help people abuse weaknesses a bit better. (Not that the game is really hard enough to require abusing weaknesses that aren't Holy.) Konami did a pretty bad job of spreading out damage types among weapons and souls, so knowing that Mystletain does Holy damage isn't very well known apparently.

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 12:26:04 am »
Yeah, there's a lot of unused space in the stats section on the Equip and Soul Set menus that would be perfect for displaying damage-type icons. Unfortunately, I haven't really explored much of DSVania Editor's other capabilities. I'd try asking around in the official forum thread: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23678.0