I need a good program that can easily rip visuals (Sprites, Tiles,...) form games. There are few tools available, but when I try to use them, I always end up missing features. The other common problem is that if I hack or rip a game, the moment I close the tool I have to start over the next time I decide to continue.
That's why I decide to make a new one. Personally I like "LZ77 Restructor 2", so for star it will be based on it, but I will add some crucial feathers in how the decompressed stream to be interpreted, because in current state its useless to me (all the gba/nds roms I tested the picture is wrong/distorted).
The working flow for the tool should be something like:
- Open ROM (no restriction for a platform)
- Add or find an address that contain visual
- Decompress the visual starting of that point. For now LZ77 (aka LZ10) but later we may add other.
- Give all the tools, which will interpret the decompressed data as visual.
- Add extra info to that address (BPP, Pal, length,...)
- At every moment - Save of current project, so later we can continue
- At every moment - Save of the visual in file, clipboard.
- some neat features for those that study the ROM or modders - finding a reference or table that contain it.
It took me sometimes till the concept become clear. So finally first version could be released. Because nobody had suggestion for a name, I choose: Visual Swiss Army Knife (Visual SAK)Download: Version 2.2Versions:
1.0 - First release. Manual address adding for tiles and palette. Save/Load project. Template system for interpreting the images. Currently only GBA 4BPP LZ10 is supported.
2.0 - Template system improved. Added a new Template: GBA 4bpp (no compression). Some visual changes and many, many internals rewritten to take advantage in the new Template system
2.1 - unreleased version. Design change - added status bar. Non-edit info moved there
2.2 - Added 2 new Templates: SNES 3/4bpp (no compression). Major workflow changes thanks to weissvulfToDo List:
- adding noncompression
- adding 8bpp support for GBA
- SNES 2/3/4/8 bit support.
- adding LZSS compression for SNES (Final Fantasy Titles)
- adding Search ability. Initially for LZ10 compression.
- reading compressed Palettes. Initially LZ10 only
- support for other compression (on request)
- support of other console format (on request)