News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Steam Hearts (PC-98) English Translation  (Read 5156 times)

NERV Agent

• EYAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Hearts (PC-98) English Translation
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:16 pm »
Yes.

The PC-Engine versions just had the sex scenes removed.

But added in audio so you can use your imagination.
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit is waifu of the year.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 01:04:48 am »
I'll admit, I had this momentarily confused with the PC-Engine Steam Hearts, which I -would- love to get translated as well. Are they the same story/script?

More or less, though they toned down the cutscenes. Who knows, maybe I can translate that after I'm done with this? :)

EDIT: On second thoughts, almost all of the Japanese in the PC Engine and Saturn versions is in the form of audio, so there's not much chance of me doing it, since I'd have a bit of trouble understanding it. The dialogue is also heavily extended from the limited stuff in the PC-98 version. Plus I'd need to find a couple of women willing to do the voices in the sex scenes. :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:28:16 am by Psyklax »

NERV Agent

• EYAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 02:07:25 am »
How about translate and hack the Saturn version to include the deleted sex scenes during the audio?

With subtitles?

Actually, it doesn't matter. I doubt people watch hentai for the compelling dialogue. Leave the audio untranslated and whoever is playing can use their imagination to fill in what they are saying. Like in those "Hitler reacts" videos.
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit is waifu of the year.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:16 pm »
It's a bit tricky for me to translate Japanese audio, and adding subtitles could be tricky, too. And if you think nobody cares what they're saying, then... why am I doing this? :D

Anyway, VERSION 0.6 IS OUT! :) Link in the first post, as usual.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:21 am »
The PC-98 is not a popular platform for translating yet. I wouldn't call it a popular platform for playing games either. Heck, it seems like gamers are just now starting to get into the PCE. Most gamers grew up with Nintendo, and they are just huge Nintendo fans. They really have to develop an interest and step outside their comfort zone to play games on different platforms. Considering folks have barely started to recognize the merits of stuff like the Saturn, Dreamcast, PCE, etc... It's probably going to be a number of years still before any appreciable number of people even glance in the PC-98's direction.
Another factor of limited PC-98 translations was, at least a decade ago, not much in the way of debugging emulators. The only one I know of was "Guest"'s mod of whichever emulator it was, and while his mods were certainly a push for more obscure consoles to get attention, they were a bit awkward to use.

Another thing is the X86-derivative architecture was quite a bit different than what console games were used to. Not even sure what consoles used an X86. Just the WonderSwan and the original Xbox that I know of. Though it's at least far from an undocumented CPU, it is still a change from the 6502, Z80 and MIPS stuff more commonly found among consoles.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 05:19:17 pm »
Another factor of limited PC-98 translations was, at least a decade ago, not much in the way of debugging emulators. The only one I know of was "Guest"'s mod of whichever emulator it was, and while his mods were certainly a push for more obscure consoles to get attention, they were a bit awkward to use.

Thankfully that's changed now: there's np2debug, a fork of the popular Neko Project II emulator, and there are even forks of that to add more debugging features, so now I have little problem hacking this game. Sure, it's no FCEUX, but I've yet to find an emulator as good as that for debugging, and it does everything I need.

Another thing is the X86-derivative architecture was quite a bit different than what console games were used to. Not even sure what consoles used an X86. Just the WonderSwan and the original Xbox that I know of. Though it's at least far from an undocumented CPU, it is still a change from the 6502, Z80 and MIPS stuff more commonly found among consoles.

In fairness, after doing Z80 and a little 68000, it's not that far removed, the principles are the same. The memory addressing is a pain in the ass, though. Of course, as you said, X86 is one of the most documented CPUs out there, so there's no shortage of help.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 11:57:16 am »
Version 0.8 is out! :)

I got distracted with Sherlock Holmes on the NES, but I got back to Steam Hearts as soon as I finished. This completes level 6, leaving only the final level, which has more text than any other (almost a quarter of the game's text), so that'll take a little longer. Once that's done, though, I'll release it as v0.99, with only the options undone (and maybe the credits, since I can't remember how the credits are done). I've included a translation of the options menu in the readme anyway, so even if I never figure out how to hack the graphics, it's no big deal. :)

As usual, find the link in the first post.

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »
Are you using any tool to display the graphics on the disk? I'd like to rip some sprites from this game.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »
Are you using any tool to display the graphics on the disk? I'd like to rip some sprites from this game.

Nope, I haven't touched the graphics. I don't know much about PC-98 graphics formats but from what I've heard, they can be a bit variable.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 11:53:49 pm »
@Psyklax Your inbox is full. :P Here's that last SWAT file.

http://mattsmessyroom.com/uploads/swat/misc.txt

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 06:17:43 pm »
Okay guys, version 0.99 is done and submitted to the RHDN database. In case you're wondering, this is the last version I'm going to work on, because it's practically DONE! :D

The only things remaining are the options menu (translated in the readme) and the end credits (I think you can live without knowing who drew the graphics).

So go to the first post and download it now! Enjoy! :D

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 02:25:00 am »
Congrats on finishing this up. :)

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 01:20:30 pm »
Okay, where can I find the disk image that works with this?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 03:23:00 pm »
Okay, where can I find the disk image that works with this?

Did you read the readme file? :)

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:58 pm »
How do I even download that?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 04:41:52 pm »
How do I even download that?

You're asking for ROMs? I think Nightcrawler made a post about that.

Jesus, if you can't even type "Neo Kobe" into Google, I don't know what to say. The very first match on Google includes what you're looking for.

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon: it seems there's a problem there. Thankfully someone said something useful in the comments there.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:57:59 pm by Psyklax »

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 11:22:47 pm »
I'm assuming that magnet link on the comments is working then?

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 07:51:30 am »
Yes, currently it appears you can't get any Neo Kobe PC-98 files without a torrent client, from either there or private trackers.