News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Is it even necessary to decrease color depth before loading a palette?  (Read 195 times)

NERV Agent

• View Profile
I've been working on some stuff today, and I noticed in my routine that I usually decrease the color depth of an image before I load the palette.

But I can't for the life of me recall why I even do this.

Is it even necessary to decrease color depth before loading a palette? Does decreasing color depth prior to loading a palette result in a different output versus not decreasing color depth before loading a palette?
Pen Pen is waifu of the year.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Is it even necessary to decrease color depth before loading a palette?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:06:33 pm »
So you have a fancy image, all anti aliased, gradient effects and whatnot. You then decrease the colour depth and finally assign your palette of choice (presumably from the game or what will soon be in a game)?

Assigning a palette will tend to make things try to be fitted to it. This is not the most accurate process out there, depending upon the program it might even be very basic (most common, keep that, fit everything else to that).
Decreasing colour depth will do better for the colours as in many things it will account for more of the image when sorting colours and thus try to prevent issues with losing gradients/making their steps massive and what have you, it may also highlight some issues if something goes completely the wrong way and assumes one colour is closer to another.

Not knowing what program you are using here I can not say what its actual workflow is but I would not be surprised if the modern one does a better colour depth reduction as part of the chain.

All that said. Make sure you have backups and try it each way for a few different things and see the results.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
Re: Is it even necessary to decrease color depth before loading a palette?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:01:46 pm »
I am using JASC Paint Shop Pro 9.

Anyway, thank you for answering my question.
Pen Pen is waifu of the year.