News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to make SMB2SMC work??  (Read 817 times)

abood

• View Profile
How to make SMB2SMC work??
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:43:50 am »
Hello im new here and i dont know anything about hacking i wanted to convert some levels from super mario bros to super mario collection so i found this program SMB2SMC to do this for me but for some reason it crashes every time i try to convert the levels i used different roms and methods but it still crashes  :'(

ways i have done it:

SMB2SMC [SuperMarioBros. (Japan, USA).nes] [Super Mario Collection (V1.1) (J).smc] [_output.smc]

SMB2SMC Super Mario Bros. (Japan, USA).nes Super Mario Collection (V1.1) (J).smc [_output.smc]

SMB2SMC [C:\Users\myPcName\Desktop\smb2smc\Super Mario Bros. (Japan, USA).nes] [C:\Users\myPcName\Desktop\smb2smc\Super Mario Collection (V1.1) (J).smc] [_output.smc]

SMB2SMC C:\Users\myPcName\Desktop\smb2smc\Super Mario Bros. (Japan, USA).nes C:\Users\myPcName\Desktop\smb2smc\Super Mario Collection (V1.1) (J).smc [_output.smc]

if anyone knows the correct way of doing it please show me how its done if possible with pictures.

and sorry for my bad english

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Re: How to make SMB2SMC work??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:23:20 am »
I would try using double quotes

example:
Code: [Select]
SMB2SMC "SuperMarioBros. (Japan, USA).nes" "Super Mario Collection (V1.1) (J).smc" "_output.smc"

If that doesn't work, maybe someone else out there has an idea.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:29:28 am »
Yes, long file names have to be specified using double quotes.

If you use "dir /x" on the command line, you can also find the short file names that Windows uses internally for each file, but usually those are a bit incomprehensible.

Alternatively, you could rename the files to something shorter, like "smbrom.nes" and "smcrom.smc"

Or you could use the Console Compromise GUI tool.
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1284/
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:34:43 am »
I recently saw this program, after wondering if it was possible to just hack Super Mario All-Stars, instead of the 8-bit NES counter-parts. On another website someone said you need to put the DOS executable in the same directory as cmd.exe (possibly /win/system32 or something). Maybe run as administrator?

After some searching, there was a programmer who started a program and tried to make LunarMagic for SMAS. The source code is online to download and compile. https://github.com/bonimy/MushROMs

He made a SMB1 hack using the program so it works, but it's probably buggy. He hasn't even yet ported over the compression routines so it seems like after 8 years the project really hasn't gotten near completion. You may be better off with MushROMs than this command prompt program. (MushROMs is still being updated). MushROMs goal was to be able to edit all 4 games in SMAS. I agree the 16-bit graphics look much better, but I know working first-hand with ASM, hex, and code can be a hassle. If you just are trying to get SMB1 ported over you may be better off with SMB2SMC though. Please let us know if you get it working. I was recently playing SMB1 on NES, then played SMAS version. The difference is night and day.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:42:01 pm »
On another website someone said you need to put the DOS executable in the same directory as cmd.exe (possibly /win/system32 or something). Maybe run as administrator?
The only reason I can think of doing that is if you wanted to use the program by going to Start->Run, but that is not a very sensible way of running any command line program.  For people who are terrified of command lines, it is far better to use the aforementioned Console Compromise.

He hasn't even yet ported over the compression routines so it seems like after 8 years the project really hasn't gotten near completion. You may be better off with MushROMs than this command prompt program.
You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Please let us know if you get it working.
Have you tried running it yourself?  Have you had any problems?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:28 pm »
Jorpho,
No, I haven't tried to convert SMB1 to SNES 16-bit. I don't have the patience to search for Japanese Mario Collection rom. Although, I did download the open-source MushROMs, but don't have the correct version of Visual Studio installed.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds