Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes!
4 (16%)
I'm neutral.
14 (56%)
No....
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Nintendo Labo  (Read 2885 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
Nintendo Labo
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:52 pm »
https://labo.nintendo.com/

You probably heard about it, didn't you?

Looks like Nintendo did it again, cardboard for gaming might be a good idea for recycling.

What do you think about this? It's a good idea? You can vote on the poll or leave your opinion here. To tell the truth, I'm neutral about this. Time will tell if I'm liking this when it releases.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Labo
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:42:21 pm »
I reckon it will take off just as well as Wii Fit, at least.  It is a logical extension of the booming market for plastic dohickies for Wiimotes, only so much easier to produce and distribute, and probably better for the environment, too.

It seems to me that there must have been some sort of similar product for the iPhone or Android by now, but Nintendo has so much more marketing push.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

NERV Agent

• Cureable if treated early by meds from Dr. Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:18:02 am »
Oh no! Little Billy ripped apart his Nintendo Labo while rough housing with the other kids during is birthday party!

I guess mommy and daddy better be willing to spend about $60 on cardboard again.
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh Cancer is waifu of the year. Fucking Internet....

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:50:06 am »
I quite expect third parties will step in one way or another to provide cardboard if Nintendo does not make appropriate provisions.  It does not strike me as something that can easily be covered by copyrights or patents.  (If it was, Nintendo would probably have problems of its own – as I said, they can't be the first.)
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:12 am »
if you don't preorder labo you get a stabo

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:55:56 pm »
if you don't preorder labo you get a stabo

I'd rather get a stabo. Thanks.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:42 pm »
it was a joke, son

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:56:31 pm »
Yeah, I'm joking also

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:22:40 am »
The cardboard box in Metal Gear Solid is way more practical than this.

(But if they did make a Metal Gear cardboard box Labo, that would be an interesting novelty purchase.)

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »
*shakes head*

This is some dumb shit...

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:55 am »
We're not exactly the key demographic for this anyways, so why call it dumb shit?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 06:42:22 pm »
Tbh, it sounds hilarious and completely out of nowhere, as someone who's built toy armors and swords out of cardboard I really want to see what kind of madness ensues.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 03:45:29 am »
We're not exactly the key demographic for this anyways, so why call it dumb shit?

Because I used to make stuff like this for free when I was a kid. I made my first guitar amp/stereo out of stuff that I pulled from junk cars and a cardboard box. I used the box as a speaker cabinet for four 6x9's and powered the stereo using my brother's race track (before I realized I could just splice the wires to the 12v AC adapter). I removed the tapehead thing and spliced the wires from an old pair of headphones so I could use my portable CD player as a home version through this thing (I didn't have one of those cassettes that did the conversion for you) and also used the same input as a very poor guitar cable. I didn't spend a cent on most of the materials involved. It was quite the monstrosity but I was probably 8 years old and being able to blast my own choice of music and have a makeshift amp so I could secretly play by brother's guitar (before I had one of my own) without having to move his whole rig into my room and play in my own room was priceless. Kids can be very creative if they have to be so there's no need to pay so much for cardboard. Just don't throw everything away and don't spend money on what you can make yourself.

Fond memories. ::)

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 01:21:52 am »
Hahaha.

Remember that sicko who married his Nintendo DS awhile back?

Maybe they will make cardboard waifu Labos at some point.

(But srsly, if they ever port Metal Gear Solid V to Switch with cardboard box Labo, I'd really consider buying one.)

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 02:15:28 am »
Is this real life? Everything these days just seems weird and bewildering to me. I don't even know if I could enjoy the fine games that are being made now, I feel so out of touch with gaming at large.

I mean, you're reading a post by a guy who was irritated at the cost and trouble associated with buying a NES and 7 cartridges recently (not all the carts were at the same time, I'll tell you that).

If I could muster an opinion for cardboard doohickies, it wouldn't be educated. Nintendo are obviously time traveling wizards from Dimension Zyxnflkst. What the fuck, they can sell people cardboard? That's like, epic marketing skills on the level of being like a marketing Yngwie Malmsteen.

togemet2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:41:14 am »
This sort-of sounds like a good idea, but at the same time it sort of doesn't. If I had it, I wouldn't even know where I would store these. So I'm probably going to be passing on this one.  ::)

Naniyue

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 04:59:48 am »
Kinda like Nintendo returning to its card and toy roots.
I think that it would be great for general creativity and learning how things are constructed.  And since it's cardboard, you could make your own pieces even decades later as long as your Switch still worked.

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 06:45:42 pm »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 10:18:18 pm »
The only good thing about Nintendo Labo is it makes a great toy for cats.